GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,728
3 members and 2,725 guests
John, KatieKate1244, Tridentia

Old 01-25-2012, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Big and little relationships can differ widely. My big and I are a year apart in school but only months apart in age, and we were more friends than anything else...while she was my big and we were close, I didn't really look to her for guidance. She was also a lot less involved than I was, so we had an atypical relationship compared to a lot of my chapter sisters, in that while our friendship was begun by the sorority, it had little to do with it as the college years went on.

My first little transferred back to the UK, where she was from, and I ended up taking twins the following year. I was a junior and they were freshmen when I took them, so I think we have more of a big/little relationship...we used to joke that I was raising teenagers. As for favoritism? I was worried going into it. Two of my close friends had a big who would pit them against each other, and while they remain fast friends, they resented that unfair behavior, and no longer speak to her. Because of this, I tried to treat them equally, as much as I could. However, it never really became an issue because they were so different from each other that I never could choose a favorite if I wanted to, and they became so close to each other that it didn't matter. In a way, I think they are closer to each other than they are to me, and I really like that, since they're still in college and I've moved on, and I'm glad I helped create such a strong friendship.

What I'm trying to say is that big/little relationships differ immensely, and while you're may not be the ideal, it can show you how to shape your later relationships within the house. Furthermore, often the friendships you cultivate with your other sisters will be far stronger than your big little one. Yes, the way she obviously favors them sucks, but sorority life is not perfect, and it can teach you how not to be a friend...which I think is important in being the best friend and sister you can be.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )