GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,276
0 members and 1,276 guests
No Members online

Old 04-28-2007, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Becoming a university professional

Hey all:

I am in the process of applying to work at a local university. I am looking for administrative/managerial positions as I will be graduating from that school with my M.Ed and am eager to gain experience working in student affairs or athletics. From the get go I have promised myself that I would only apply for the positions that both matched my interests and abilities. I have found two great positions and have applied for one. As I consider applying for the second, two questions come to mind.

1. Should I seek input from my university contacts (student affairs professionals?) I would like to send a polite e-mail requesting a chance to discuss my decision to apply to the selected positions, but I don't know how this might be interpreted (politics...ugh).

2. Might the university question my decision to apply to more than one position within a relatively short amount of time? I am applying to more than one because I believe I could succeed in a number of student affairs settings, but I don't want to hurt my chances.

I guess this all comes down to politics. I want to do things the right way while applying to this huge public university, but I am not quite sure what the right way is.

Thanks

CaliSA
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-12-2007, 09:37 AM
GreekChat Member

I work for a private university, and while the culture is probably pretty different, I know some things tend to hold true for higher education environments.

Definitely work your contacts... an email is good, but a quick phone call is better. (And depending on how close you are to the person you wish to talk to, you may just want to drop in for a few minutes and have an informal chat).

As far as applying for more than one position, that's a tough one. At my university, I know of a young lady who has applied for every position that has opened in my department... which not the best tactic. If the positions are similar, and you really like both of them, then go for it, but if not, you may want to stick to the one that is really the best fit.

I know you asked this question a while ago, but I just saw it. Hope I could help.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BlessedOne04 Send a message via Yahoo to BlessedOne04
I recently left the politics of a public university and have this advice for you.

1. I agree with Sugar that you should work your contacts. I know you may not like the politics of it all but in academia its sometimes who you know. An email is not personal enough and can be misunderstood by whom ever you are sending it to. Do the phone call thing and you should be fine.

2. You should hold off on applying to too many positions at the same time because a conflict of interest could arise. At my university your resume must be sent to human resources and if you match the qualifications of the position that you applied for then your resume will be fowarded on to whom ever is hiring for that position for further consideration. If you apply and are considered for more than one job at the same time and one job may hinder you getting the other. Check with the university that you are applying with to see how their hiring process works and if they post the jobs that have already been filled. That way if you miss out on one job you can post for the other if it is still available.