GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 1,699
0 members and 1,699 guests
No Members online

Old 11-03-2008, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Would it be 'tacky' if...

Hey everyone!

I'm more of a reader on this site than a poster but I have a question and you all are the best to answer. So here goes...

I'm running for Fundraising Chair within my sorority and will be giving my speech tonight. I work in fundraising for the university and will be mentioning that in my speech. However, here's the line I've been deliberating on: Do I tell them exactly how much I've raised for the university? It's a pretty impressive amount and I'm proud of my skills to be able to do this and I think my abilty to do this would make me an asset to this chair.

Basically, as fellow Greeks, would you think of it as 'tacky' (for lack of better word) if someone running for this position mentioned it? I know better than to deliver it as 'bragging' but I do think it is a point worth mentioning as I feel I'm a great fit for this position, not to mention fundraising will be a part of my career when I graduate.

Anywho, any replies would be great. I didn't feel right about asking some of my sisters as they will be the one's voting, you know? Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-03-2008, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I would briefly mention how much you have raised for the university, but I would focus more on what you will do for the chapter. Bring concrete ideas.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Agreed. It's definitely a qualification for the job, but shouldn't be the focus of your speech.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
I would briefly mention how much you have raised for the university, but I would focus more on what you will do for the chapter. Bring concrete ideas.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

maybe don't give an exact number but rather an approximation?
Old 11-03-2008, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

If you would mention it in a resume, mention it in your speech.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

This is a really good question.

I agree with Benzgirl for the most part.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:54 PM

Numbers don't mean anything w/ out statistics to back them up. i.e., maybe you raised $1 million, but maybe it came from 2 very rich donors and everyone else you asked said no. That doesn't make you a successful fundraiser, it makes you lucky.

I would go with a variation of the "are you better off now than you were 4 years ago" angle. Let them know how what you did improved the university's donor percentage, amount per donor, things like that, compared to your predecessor in the position, rather than just a $$ amount. Also if you were responsible for coordinating a specific fundraiser (for a specific building or something) I would mention that as well.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with all of the advice above. The most important thing is to have real ideas about what you'll do to improve fund raising within the chapter.

I'm very intrigued that you're giving a speech... we're not allowed to campaign for offices at all.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Mention it in passing, but don't make it the crux of your appeal.