GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,267
1 members and 1,266 guests
navane

Old 02-19-2002, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Where do the fraternities/sororities on your campus hang out?

I went to the library at another university yesterday and it got me thinking. Where do the fraternities/sororities hang out at on each campus? Also, is it just Greeks who are there?

With my school, there is a large open area between the buildings on campus, which is called Quad (I think almost every campus has one of these). Each fraternity/sorority has their "spot." In between classes, all of the Greeks go to their "spot" and socialize. On Fridays, all fraternities/sororities display their letters in their "spot." The majority of the people who are in Quad are Greek.

Is it the same at all other campuses?

Last edited by SATX*APhi; 02-19-2002 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-19-2002, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to xo_sue
In front of the book store. When I was a senior in h.s. and doing the campus tour- we walked passed the book store and everyone was saying hi to my tour guide... I thought it was the friendliest neatest thing!

Also, one part of the library was all greeks and one section of the cafeteria was all greeks.

I just thought how much I hated the cheerleaders/football players in highschool having their own "section" of the cafeteria and there I did it myself in college!
Old 02-19-2002, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, in the caf each fraternity/sorority has their "table." As far as having an area in the library, um, nope. I guess we aren't in the library much. We go to a small school, so the library really isn't a big thing.
Old 02-19-2002, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DukeBlue
Nowhere. Everyone pretty much hangs out with everyone else wherever - greek or independent.
Old 02-19-2002, 12:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to pirate00 Send a message via Yahoo to pirate00
At ECU, you'll usually spot most of the Greeks hanging out as an aggregate during the day in front of the book store. They're easy to spot on Wednesdays, which is when most of us wear our letters. Other than that, we hang out practically everywhere amongst our fellow students.

Last edited by pirate00; 02-19-2002 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-19-2002, 01:07 PM
UMgirl

Mr Greeks (How Ironic) which is a lil restaurant , along with Coney Island. The bars Touchdowns, Ricks , or Scorekeepers...but everyone goes to these. And the Diag which is an open area with everyone else.
Old 02-19-2002, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

All of the NPC and IFC Greeks at our school hang out in the Breezeway between two major buildings on-campus. All of the NPHC and Independents like myself hang out in the Quad.
Old 02-19-2002, 01:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to ADPiSweety
All the Greeks at UNLV hang out either in the student union near the cafe' or in front of the student union where the ampitheater is. Mondays are "wear your letters" day, so its super easy to spot everyone. You can wear your letters whenever, but mondays is the main day! Its soo much fun when I get together with everyone! =)
Old 02-19-2002, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Everyone (Greeks and GDI's alike) usually hang out on the Mall in between classes. It's full name is the Glen-Terrell Freidnship mall, but we all call it the Mall or the Hill (because it's on the main hill on campus- wait.. all of campus is on a hill!) It's so funny if you get out of a class early, because it looks so different when the mall is empty.. but between classes.. it's the main way thru campus and most everyone has to come onto it.
Old 02-19-2002, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
We used to hang out at the campus pub and mini mall, but that was a long time ago.
Old 02-19-2002, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to DZTUBAGIRL Send a message via AIM to DZTUBAGIRL Send a message via Yahoo to DZTUBAGIRL
We have tables in the cafe that have the different fraternities/sororities flags over them. A lot of the greeks hang out there during the breaks between classes.
Old 02-19-2002, 10:37 PM

Well anymore I don't know but in my day there were a few spots.....obviously the library, especially when we had study tables which pretty much everyone had. But also most of the groups had "their" table in the student center cafeteria, and also the Hub which is a big open area at the student center where people like to hang and study. In my time there was just a Wendy's near the Hub.....a few years back they built a full-scale food court in the Hub with like 7 or 8 restaurants, so Wendy's is gone and now the Hub is smaller but people still seem to go there. In nice weather people hang out in the student center plaza, which is a big open quad with steps and tables and a fountain.
Old 02-19-2002, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
That is so funny that someone posted something about this cuz my school is having some problems! We used to have a University Mall and the Greeks all hung out in one area. The area used to be Greeks ONLY but then some GDIs didnt know any better, so it was just whoever. Well they've closed the UMall, and opened our new building, but they dont want student hanging out in there, even tho it has a huge area that we could hang out. Until the new UMall is rebuilt in 2-3 years, we are supposed to hang out in these double wide trailors....not so much! COB was really hard this semester without a hangout, and the Greeks aren't hanging out and gettin to know each other like we used to. It really sux

KLTC
Old 02-19-2002, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

we have this place inside our main union where all the student organiztion has an office or "cube". there is a sitting area where all the greeks go between classes. no one really has a "spot", we just mix and mingle in "the cubes". its nice because not to far of a walk from the food court and there are a punch of plush couches near by to snooze on.
Old 02-20-2002, 03:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PM_Mama00
That is so funny that someone posted something about this cuz my school is having some problems! We used to have a University Mall and the Greeks all hung out in one area. The area used to be Greeks ONLY but then some GDIs didnt know any better, so it was just whoever. Well they've closed the UMall, and opened our new building, but they dont want student hanging out in there, even tho it has a huge area that we could hang out. Until the new UMall is rebuilt in 2-3 years, we are supposed to hang out in these double wide trailors....not so much! COB was really hard this semester without a hangout, and the Greeks aren't hanging out and gettin to know each other like we used to. It really sux
hang in there Chica.

We hang out in the main lecture hall building where most of the large (200-300) people lectures are held. Its also the largest and central academic building on campus. Most all the fraternities and sororities have benches that they have taken over as their own. Back in the day their used to be tables (the long foldign kind) in front of each bench, but the univ did away withthose. We go gank one every day, and there are usually ones to be found.

Cool part is that our area is about 20 steps from the outside quad (where you can find the smokers) and if its nice we'll hang out inthe quad, but mostly its the table.

In 97 they opened the new student center..in GUAM. They expected us to hang out in there, but it was way away from the academic buildings and no one ever went over there. shame...Cause its real nice. We tried hanging out over there for a few months, it just felt unnatural. So back to the HSS (Humanaties/Social Science Building) for us. the admin didnt like that one bit. They began taking our tables and benches outta the building, and we begana 2 year battle of wills, which we won. We let the university know how important the "tables" (our catch all term for the benches and area) were to us and basically, were good kids, cause them no trouble, and we would win the table war. They continue to age, and change jobs, carrears, etc while the average age ouf our groups remains 19. We told them they would tire of it LONG before we would. ya know what ? They gave up after about 3 semesters. So its all on. Now they wont let us reserve a table or space, but the benches are still there, and everyone still has their area.

You are in for a battle, but I am glad we stuck to our guns, as it is a very important tradition for us.

Question? Does your campus newspaper lampoon yall for your "hang out area?" Our does. its BS