GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,368
0 members and 1,368 guests
No Members online

Old 11-29-1999, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb Great Rush Ideas,Let's get involved!

I have just been given the honor of being our Panhellenic Association's Rush Coordinator at WIU. I am excited and ready to give back to the greek community. I was wondering if anyone has any great ideas that they have seen implemented in any form of rush, formal or informal. I hope to boost participation in sorority rush and see our campuses greek community both unify and escalate. I would greatly appreciate any new and fresh ideas dealing with any aspect at all of rush. Thanks!

------------------
Stephanie Schiltz
99-00 Rush Coordinator
Western Illinois University
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-16-1999, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

One idea that we are implementing in my chapter this year is a new form of explaining community service. When it is open house day, we take the rushees around our house and each room stands for a different activity, event, or something about our chapter. My sorority sponsers cystic fibrosis, so this year, we decided to do the community service room a llittle different. Instead of just telling them about what we do, we're going to do a project in the room where the rushees and the sisters who are guiding them around the house make like a card or some sort of little craft to give to cystic fibrosis or to a nursing home. I think it will get them more involved and make them feel like they are participating rather than just being led around by strangers. Just an idea.
Old 12-17-1999, 01:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Well hello! I am a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc at Texas Southern University and I congratulate you on being the Rush coordinator 99-00. On an informal note, we try to get all the rushees involved in a kind of friend to friend basis. In 1997 we had a bowl of 500 lifesavers. Each rushee had to take one. (red-5,yellow-4,
green-3,orange-2,white-1). The color they picked signified how many things they had to say about themselves. In 1998 the present members got up and spoke about the sorority and things done recently, then there was a session of questions. We would start off easy and ask who can give the correct colors of the sorority? What date is AKA founded? How many founders? Then get into more detailed questions about things mentioned. We would give away nice prizes like a coffee cup with ivy's on it and picture frames with ivy's or just trinkets from AKA. All the gifts said Thankyou from the members of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority,Inc Gamma Psi Chapter 1998 Rush. Things they could take home and kind of be excited about. In 1999 the rush consisted of skits and we would pick someone out of the audience to help with each skit. We also give tickets as you walk in and there is a drawing for a prize. And there are #'s under each seat, the number pulled also wins a prize. There is always a session where questions can be addressed to the sorority about anything. Everyone gets something when exiting (be it a little bag of candy or a keychain of some sort-no one goes home empty handed). Of course there is a reception so everyone can feel more comfortable afterwards. We try to make everyone feel like friends, but I do like the previous idea that was posted and maybe we will try that for 2000 about the cystic fibrosis. We are supporting breast cancer and a requirement for 1999 was wearing a ribbon in honor of the disease.
Old 12-17-1999, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
RL -

Sounds like you have a great Intake Program going for your chapter. In the NPC sororities, you are not allowed to give out favors, trinkets, etc. Even during formal Rush, rushees are not allowed to take anything from any sorority, including nametags!

------------------
Fraternally,
Barbara
Zeta Tau Alpha Alumna

If you have to go around telling everyone you're in charge you're not much of a leader.