GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,040
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, ausinpetrov7195
» Online Users: 1,335
3 members and 1,332 guests
KDKells, Phrozen Sands, zathonyjunioro9

Old 01-06-2018, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

A Universal Recruitment

So I suppose I get the honor of writing the first recruitment story of 2018. I’ve been reading around the site and it seems like I have big shoes to fill, but I’m going to try my hardest to satisfy everyone’s need for recruitment stories. Keeping as anonymous as possible, I’ll say that I go to a small school somewhere in the Midwest that’s doing recruitment sometime within the next month. If, based on that criteria, and our number of sororities, you can guess my school, kindly PM me and don’t announce it on the thread. I don’t know if there are any members at my school lurking on the boards, but I sure as heck don’t want to take a chance.

Oh and did I mention – I have a special treat for all you recruitment story lovers! Not only do you get one recruitment story. That’s right folks, this is a two-for-the-price-of-one thread. About forty-five minutes east of me, my girlfriend will be going through recruitment within the same time frame as me. Her school is small as well, though it has one less sorority than mine. That being said, let’s start up the code. I’ve seen plenty of Disney recruitments, but I think Universal Studios needs some lovin’ here. I’ve decided to name our schools as the two parks; I will be at Universal Studios, while she will be at Islands of Adventure. Our schools share one sorority, which we’ll call the Hogwarts Express since that ride connects the two parks. Let’s break it down some more.

Universal Studios has six amazing groups: Revenge of the Mummy, E.T. Adventure, Minion Mayhem, Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, Escape from Gringotts, and of course, the Hogwarts Express. I’m keeping an open mind to any of them, but I know from meeting girls on campus that I really like E.T. Adventure and Escape from Gringotts. That could change very quickly though, as all of the groups on campus have amazing girls that could easily steal my heart.

Islands of Adventure has a slightly smaller system, with only five groups: Ripsaw Falls, Skull Island, the Incredible Hulk Coaster, Caro-Seuss-el, and the Hogwarts Express. My girlfriend wants nothing more than to be a part of Skull Island, but like me, know she would be happy anywhere. Something about those small college girls.

That’s it for now, but I’m typing this in a Word document and will keep you updated slightly behind the timeline of each event. A few weeks from now, hopefully we’ll both have found our homes (that is, if we can survive the brutal cold)!
Old 01-06-2018, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Awaiting the rest of the story!
Old 01-07-2018, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Awesome theme! Can't wait.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Best of luck to you, and thanks for sharing your story!
Old 01-14-2018, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I woke up on the morning of house tours to approximately six inches of snow on the ground and a big sheet of ice covering campus. Though I lost my footing on the way back from breakfast, I was still determined to have a great first day of recruitment. At my school, house tours is "optional" and occurs the weekend before formal recruitment events start. We visit all six houses and there are no rankings after the end of this round. I saw it as good practice, but also a good chance to make a first impression before next week.

For house tours, I kept it casual in jeans, a nice sweater, a scarf, and my Bean boots. It seemed to just get colder as the day went on.

We started off with Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, which I had some interest in but wanted to learn more. Their song was so catchy and I was pleasantly surprised when the girl who picked me up turned out to be one of my coworkers! She was super sweet and introduced me to a lot of sisters. We didn't even have the typical "name, major, hometown" conversation - we spent the time talking about a professor I have this semester that we both loved. I didn't expect to love this house but I did! I left excited to return next weekend.

Compared to my last house, Minion Mayhem was, well, mayhem. I introduced myself when the girl I was paired to picked me up, but she kept forgetting my name throughout the tour! This is the smallest and newest house on campus, and while I liked that they were close, I had a painfully awkward time. The girl giving me a tour kept running out of things to say or questions to ask, so she'd point out things like the toilet or a picture frame. I felt bad because I know lots of girls didn't like them, but I just didn't get the feeling that I could belong here.

We then headed to Escape from Gringotts, one of the groups that I knew I liked. Their house was the best I had seen so far. Everyone was super friendly, though I didn't feel that the conversation moved beyond superficial topics. However, I liked that they had a variety of songs instead of repeating one; they sang super loudly and you could tell they were passionate about their sorority. I'm excited to see them again and hopefully get to know the girls better.

The next group we visited was the one I had been waiting for, E.T. Adventure. I knew many girls here and they did not disappoint. Their house is another very nice one, and I could see the personality and history in the rooms and living spaces. I had a lot in common with the girl I was paired with, as we were both from far out of state and worked at summer camps. These girls were so strong and passionate, and I definitely couldn't wait to go back.

I knew a lot of girls in Revenge of the Mummy as well, so I was excited to visit. The one word I could use to describe them after tours was nice. The girl who I was paired with didn't impress me, but as we visited each room I got the opportunity to talk with different sisters that I definitely connected with more. One thing that bothered me is that the girls all sleep in the same room, which I don't know if I could do. Other than that they were super friendly and I wanted to learn more!

Finally, we headed to Hogwarts Express. I know a lot of stories have that one house, the one that every girl wants and is seen as the "best" house on campus. This was that house. The girl I was paired with was super friendly but I could feel myself being judged here more than at other houses. Their house was beautiful and I did enjoy my time here, but I wondered if I would fit in or if I could even afford it.

After six houses, we were finally released to eat dinner and relax. I spent the evening with my girlfriend, who hasn't started recruitment yet. Events begin fully for both of us sometime next week, so updates will be coming! Overall I'm still super excited about the process and I can't wait to find my new home!
Old 01-14-2018, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Since this "round" was optional, do you visit all the chapter again once formal recruitment "really" starts?

I think it was a good idea to do the optional round. Why did your girlfriend decide not to participate yet?

Have a great time!
Old 01-14-2018, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Since this "round" was optional, do you visit all the chapter again once formal recruitment "really" starts?

I think it was a good idea to do the optional round. Why did your girlfriend decide not to participate yet?

Have a great time!
We'll be visiting all six again for philanthropy round, which is the first official round of recruitment. I really liked having an optional round because it helped me get more comfortable with my conversations. I don't feel any nerves about recruitment anymore.

My girlfriend's recruitment hasn't started yet, since she goes to a different school than me. She actually hasn't even started her semester yet so once that starts I'll have her updates.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Good luck coastergal.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

I was incredibly antsy all day before philanthropy round started. My school stresses the importance of community service, so I like that the first round focused on that. I wore a wrap sweater over a button down and colored pants to make me stand out a little bit. My outfit was warm, but outside was bitter cold. There were patches of ice between houses and I could feel myself freezing while we stood outside houses to wait. Philanthropy round was a great night, despite the cold, and the houses all had something great to offer.

Hogwarts Express - I was a little nervous coming in; the girls were all so gorgeous and a little intimidating. Though their presentation was well put together, it didn't seem too genuine. While we were making the craft, I was explaining to the active what I wanted to do after college and she asked if that would make a lot of money. Yikes. So many PNMs were enthralled with them, but I wasn't sure.

Escape From Gringotts - I had felt that my conversations here during house tours were superficial, but tonight I loved them! They played a video from their national philanthropy that was amazing. I talked to so many different girls who were all super passionate about the sorority. They were definitely one of my top choices.

Minion Mayhem - Again, this sorority didn't impress me. Their philanthropy was personally a little hard for me to connect to. However, I was paired with better girls than during house tours. Though I knew they weren't for me, I respected that they were still growing and wasn't impolite.

Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit - My experience here was good again! Their philanthropy video didn't do much for me personally, but I liked that their chapter worked directly in the community. When I went to talk to girls, however, I was paired with some awkward girls that I didn't really click with. I knew that this was a good sorority and I loved house tours here, but I wasn't sure.

E.T. Adventures - WOW. I was so impressed here. I finally met a girl from the same major as me and we ended up not even doing the craft; we compared professors and laughed about some of our experiences. It seemed like I met so many girls who were all different, but wonderful. I didn't want to leave!

Revenge of the Mummy - I had another great experience here! The first girl I talked to was a bit forward for my tastes, but then I was bumped to a girl who I have two classes with. We laughed about our professors and the dorm we both live in. However, I didn't really learn much about their philanthropy here. I know that they do volunteer, but the girl kind of just assumed that I knew already.

When it came time to rank, I was torn. I had loved Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit during house tours, but it was a little flat tonight. I thought I did well at Hogwarts Express but knew I probably couldn't see myself there. Hogwarts Express is a little more "popular" at my school, so I ranked (and immediately regretted):

E.T. Adventures
Escape From Gringotts
Revenge of the Mummy
Hogwarts Express
1. Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit
2. Minion Mayhem

That night, my girlfriend and I both waited anxiously - me for the next day's schedule and her for the start of her recruitment.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Looking forward to the next installment.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Unfortunately, my girlfriend was cut from recruitment after her second day. She was a little hard on herself but I called her after I finished my parties from the day and reminded her that it was nothing on her. The system doesn't work for everyone and I reminded her that there's still COB and informal to think about.

Her first night was my sisterhood night, the second round of recruitment. I had to wait through a day of classes and a shift at my campus job before I could get my schedule. The wait was agonizing, but finally the time came to meet my rho gammas and find out who I would return to! Out of a maximum of four houses, I was invited back to three: Minion Mayhem, Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, and E.T. Adventure. I was a little disappointed not to see Escape from Gringotts or Revenge of the Mummy, but I was glad that I got a second chance with Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit and, of course, E.T. Adventure! A girl in my group got dropped by all the houses, so I knew I was lucky to have an (almost) full schedule.

At Minion Mayhem, I still wasn't feeling super comfortable. The girls I talked to on sisterhood night were nice, but the house overall was not my favorite. I tried to give them a fair chance because many girls didn't, but I just couldn't make it work.

I was glad to be returning to Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, and I definitely got a good feeling of their sisterhood. Their video was cute and showcased their quirky, unique group of personalities. All the girls I spoke with were nice, but no conversation completely clicked. I had such a good experience at house tours though that I didn't want to discount this house.

Finally, I returned to E.T. Adventures. I've heard that you know when you find your home and tonight I definitely found it. I spoke with so many girls, but I connected with two in particular. I do a lot of LGBT advocacy on my campus, and while I know it can be considered political, it's a huge part of my involvement so I discussed it. The sister I was paired with confessed to me that she is part of the community, and when she told her sisters, they viewed her no differently. Both of us had tears in our eyes; I knew this was it. I left this house ecstatic.

That night, I ranked the sororities:
E.T. Adventure
Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit
1. Minion Mayhem

I went to sleep confident about my decision and ready for preference night the next day.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

I am sorry rush didn't work out for your girlfriend. Fingers crossed for you!
Old 01-21-2018, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Formal Receuitment can be very overwhelming, many young women are much more able to show their true self during informal recruitment. Really encourage your friend to really give COB a shot.

Also, keeping my fingers crossed for you!
Old 01-21-2018, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, this is the end of the story for me. I got a bid to Minion Mayhem and chose not to accept it. I'll be back next year (and so will my roommate). My friends are taking me for milkshakes tonight. I won't explain pref night but basically I was persuaded by so many people not to suicide. Now I wish I had. Everything hurts right now but I'm gonna move on.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Good luck! Many of us here rushed successfully a second time.