GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,233
2 members and 1,231 guests
acg233, Sarak24034

Old 12-15-2011, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

UCF has one!
Old 12-15-2011, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

also I know that a couple of UCF (univ. central fla) fraternities have gay members in straight fraternities and they are well accepted
Old 12-15-2011, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufgrad86 View Post
also I know that a couple of UCF (univ. central fla) fraternities have gay members in straight fraternities and they are well accepted
I know what you're trying to say, but I don't think any of our GLOs are "straight fraternities" -- that is just the majority group.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey man,
im a gay Phi Psi up in PA. Honestly i would just be upfront about it. If you get shutdown because of it, that organization obviously wasn't a good fit for you. I was lucky enough to have found the Phi Psis early in my college career and it never became a problem but i have heard of organizations where it could be. Just like the entire rushing process it all comes down to finding an organization thats a good fit for you and accepts you for who you are.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotapennxi View Post
Hey man,
im a gay Phi Psi up in PA. Honestly i would just be upfront about it. If you get shutdown because of it, that organization obviously wasn't a good fit for you. I was lucky enough to have found the Phi Psis early in my college career and it never became a problem but i have heard of organizations where it could be. Just like the entire rushing process it all comes down to finding an organization thats a good fit for you and accepts you for who you are.
Your alma mater (and mine, and the other 12 in the PASSHE) have come a LONG way on this subject, but what you're doing is kinda like telling him to wear a Hines Ward jersey to a Ravens game in Baltimore. The culture (as in Greek life, the importance of Greek life, and in general) is very, very different there.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Your alma mater (and mine, and the other 12 in the PASSHE) have come a LONG way on this subject, but what you're doing is kinda like telling him to wear a Hines Ward jersey to a Ravens game in Baltimore. The culture (as in Greek life, the importance of Greek life, and in general) is very, very different there.
The gist of his message it, he's telling the guy to be true to his self. Regardless of where you are or which organizations or areas are alike or different, it sounds like sound advice.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:41 AM

Noooo, he's telling the guy to say right away that he's gay. That may not be the best route to take everywhere.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Wearing my Ward jersey to a Ravens game in Baltimore is totally on my bucket list. But I like being combative.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostwriter View Post

In many cases this is just not something that is advertised or even admitted to by many Fraternities. I would take caution in how I approached the subject as, when you get right down to it, it is no ones business but your own. Even though we like to believe we are the "enlightened", predjudices are evident in many, if not most, of the organizations.

I have to agree with this. Coming from a huge SEC school, you have to realize that these organization have been around for a LONG time, and are usually looking for a specific person. I mean just look at totalfratmove.com, and almost everything you read is about "slampeices" and hooking up with girls without knowing them. I'm not saying to not rush (believe it or not, there are many closet gays in fraternitys), but I would not suggest mentioning your sexuality during rush. I know that many people say that you should find a fraternity that accepts you as you are, but just know that you will come across people who are prejudice and will cut you for it. Im not saying its fair, but its the way the greek system works. Greek system tends to work as a dictatorship, not a democracy...
Old 01-04-2012, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsorority View Post
I have to agree with this. Coming from a huge SEC school, you have to realize that these organization have been around for a LONG time, and are usually looking for a specific person. I mean just look at totalfratmove.com, and almost everything you read is about "slampeices" and hooking up with girls without knowing them. I'm not saying to not rush (believe it or not, there are many closet gays in fraternitys), but I would not suggest mentioning your sexuality during rush. I know that many people say that you should find a fraternity that accepts you as you are, but just know that you will come across people who are prejudice and will cut you for it. Im not saying its fair, but its the way the greek system works. Greek system tends to work as a dictatorship, not a democracy...
Uh...you're not Greek...

Why are you giving advice (fraternity advice, at that)?

Old 01-04-2012, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Uh...you're not Greek...

Why are you giving advice (fraternity advice, at that)?
That doesnt mean that I havent dated any fraternity boys or that every guy in my family was a member of one... I'm just giving my opinion from personal experience.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That doesnt mean that I havent dated any fraternity boys or that every guy in my family was a member of one... I'm just giving my opinion from personal experience.
Your family and friends' affiliations don't matter -- YOU'RE not Greek, so you shouldn't be giving advice.

There are plenty of places to give your opinion on this board. Threads about what GLOs are looking for and how GLOs operate are not those places.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
What personal experience? If you'd dated doctors and every guy in your family was a doctor, you'd feel entitled to offer medical opinions too?

Bless your heart.

Quote:
I have to agree with this. Coming from a huge SEC school...
The OP said he's transferring to UNC, Duke or Elon. One of these isn't huge and none of these are SEC schools. Any of these three schools are going to be different, sometimes very different, in various ways from your "huge SEC school," including in ways that are relevant to the OP's question.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll say it now, I don't think it really matters. But that is just me. My chapter has one openly gay member, and it was pretty much known when he pledged (according to what he told me) that he was gay. He came out in HS, so whoever was rush chair at the time didn't mind.

I will say though that pledging might be different if you are gay, depending on how the "brothers" take it.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
What personal experience? If you'd dated doctors and every guy in your family was a doctor, you'd feel entitled to offer medical opinions too?

Bless your heart.

The OP said he's transferring to UNC, Duke or Elon. One of these isn't huge and none of these are SEC schools. Any of these three schools are going to be different, sometimes very different, in various ways from your "huge SEC school," including in ways that are relevant to the OP's question.
I'd have to disagree with you on UNC. UNC is pretty decent greek wise with as much tradition as any SEC school. I would actually venture to say that UNC greek life is very similar to an SEC school. Now for Duke and Elon, no probably not the case. As for the OP's question...I've got no expertise on your situation. But man oh man, I'd really wish you'd think long and hard about wanting to join a fraternity. Pledgeship is hard enough when you're straight.