GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,377
3 members and 2,374 guests
indygphib, LaneSig

Old 12-05-2007, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeda View Post

ps. reading a lot of the rush stories scare me with all these cuts and people who don't get invited back or was not offered a bid.

Cuts are simply a part of recruitment. Rarely do girls get a FULL schedule of invites for every single round. Most girls get cut by at least one sorority at some point.

As far as not receiving a bid at all, it does happen. If you maximize your options and keep your mind open, it's usually less likely to happen.

Also, relax and don't forget to enjoy college, whether you end up joining a sorority or not.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 12-05-2007 at 03:59 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-05-2007, 08:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
Aeda, GC can be addictive, and I find it is especially so around Rush time (for PNMs and Alums alike!) but there's no sense in stressing out about it now. Definitely do your research though, look on the national and chapter websites, find out if the chapters on your campus are really involved in their philanthropy and/or other campus activities. Really evaluate what you want in a sorority and what you think you can give to a group - knowing those two things will be a big help in recruitment because guaranteed you'll be asked something along those lines...

As far as having two favorites going in, that's understandable having deferred rush - that's part of the argument against it also though. It's ok to have your opinions going in, it's only natural, but don't discount the other groups either. Like I said, do your research and try to give every group a fair shake during parties - I promise you won't regret it

And I'm sure I'm speaking for many of us here when I say we're looking forward to hearing your recruitment story in February, so definitely keep us posted!
Old 12-05-2007, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

don't worry about quota. most of the time quota is set at a time that is advantageous to both the pnms and the sororities. if 500 girls enrolled in recruitment, and stayed in recruitment to the end and there are 5 sororities, then quota could be 100-theoritically speaking. panhellenic would not set quota so that there was no space for every girl who wanted to join. this is where the choices the pnm makes and the invitations the sorority extends come into play.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
don't worry about quota. most of the time quota is set at a time that is advantageous to both the pnms and the sororities. if 500 girls enrolled in recruitment, and stayed in recruitment to the end and there are 5 sororities, then quota could be 100-theoritically speaking. panhellenic would not set quota so that there was no space for every girl who wanted to join. this is where the choices the pnm makes and the invitations the sorority extends come into play.
Yeah, the figures don't take into account the fact that girls will withdraw from recruitment. Not every girl who signs up will finish the process.

Lakers Nation.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:03 AM
GreekChat Member

And even total doesn't really matter during FR because chapters can go over total through FR due to everyone being allowed to take quota. So if you decide that you want into a large chapter that doesn't technically have a lot of slots open, during FR it wouldn't matter. They just couldn't COB.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeda View Post
okay, thanks. what a relief! so is at all possible during first rounds that someone might not get invited back at all?
It depends on the way the rounds and cuts are structured. First round cuts can and do happen, but do not usually lead to someone getting cut entirely. Exceptions to that may be if grades are too low or if a PNM was completely and utterly rude to every chapter. But I'd guess most chapters on most campuses don't make more than grade cuts the first night.

YMMV
Old 12-12-2007, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Ditto what everyone else said.

The thing you need to keep in mind is that all sororities on all campuses are different... i.e. XYZ is not the same at Alabama than it is at UVA. I'm not sure if that's what you're basing it on or anything like that.

Meet the girls! You may find that the house you least expected to like, you'll fall in love with.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
Old 12-20-2007, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sigkapash Send a message via Yahoo to Sigkapash
you will always end up where you are supposed to. even if you dont think you did on bid day. give it a chance. trust me, everyone ends up exactly where they should. you have your hopes set for one and you are going to be thinking about it the whole time, but try to ignore your feelings from before and follow your heart.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to tanzera
She doesnt have to defend herself hence the term just curious, it was just a question. Sorry but as President of the MGC and of a multicultural sorority who has had a lot of Panhellenic girls transfer into our organization I can say that in our case atleast we offer pretty much the same experience and do mostly the same things as an NPC. I realize that other campus's are not as lucky to have such diverse organizations and latina organizations are just that, they are not multicultural although they are often falsely put into that category. They are latina based. Multicultural sororities, true ones, mean we never have one race dominating our organization and we try to bring more diversity events to campus.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

*bump* FR starts tomorrow for Aeda! Let's all wish her luck!
Old 02-14-2008, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Relax! Breathe! Knock 'em dead!

Hope you get the invitations you want!
Old 02-14-2008, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck! Keep your heart and mind open!
Old 02-14-2008, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck!! I hope you have a great rush week!
Old 02-14-2008, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck Aeda! I just went through rush...I got my bid on Sunday. My school is deferred rush, and to let you know, we do have minorities in our pledge classes...in all houses. If you have any questions, I would be glad to help you, and you can always PM me. I can't wait to find out where you'll end up...good luck and have a great rush week. What school are you at btw?
Old 02-15-2008, 08:51 AM
GreekChat Member

How's it going Aeda??