GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,136
1 members and 1,135 guests
Low D Flat

Old 01-17-2018, 06:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post

Encouraged by the overall positive tone of this year's thread. AAMOF if you take "Indiana" out of many of the posts, it's pretty much a typical alum/parental perspective thread on recruitment.

And THAT is astonishing.
My D got her top pick, AOPII.

I am grateful to have found this board. I lurked more than I posted, but I learned so much from all of you! I have spent the last few weeks confused, worried, nervous, excited, happy... even upset a couple times... on behalf of my D. I had no idea how competitive and overwhelming rush was. And I kept hearing how much more so it is at IU. I'm not a helicopter mom, but i do try to educate myself on anything my kids are involved in. Especially since it took me awhile to warm up to the idea of them "going Greek" at all.

All that to say... thank you to everyone on this forum! I have appreciated your input more than you can imagine!
Old 01-17-2018, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Congratulations to all of the New Members! So glad to read an Indiana Recruitment thread with so many happy endings!

To those who have just received their bids - may you always be so excited about your sorority home! Your experience is waiting for you to fill it full of sisterhood and the sharing of so many of your new life's experiences! May it be full of joy, maturity, and wisdom.

Oh, and party sensibly!!
Old 01-17-2018, 08:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUmom20n21 View Post
My D got her top pick, AOPII.

I am grateful to have found this board. I lurked more than I posted, but I learned so much from all of you! I have spent the last few weeks confused, worried, nervous, excited, happy... even upset a couple times... on behalf of my D. I had no idea how competitive and overwhelming rush was. And I kept hearing how much more so it is at IU. I'm not a helicopter mom, but i do try to educate myself on anything my kids are involved in. Especially since it took me awhile to warm up to the idea of them "going Greek" at all.

All that to say... thank you to everyone on this forum! I have appreciated your input more than you can imagine!
Congratulations to your daughter! I always say, especially with my daughters, that I am in the back car of the roller coaster and my kids are in the front. When they are going downhill, I'm still at the top happy and ignorant and when they start climbing up the hill, I'm still thinking the worst. And there's nothing wrong with educating yourself in what your kids are involved.

So happy for everyone!
Old 01-17-2018, 10:48 PM

I'm glad to see so many happy endings. Am I right that every PNM mentioned in this thread found a home? Congrats to all, especially DoctorD's niece who will soon be my sister!
Old 01-18-2018, 01:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Any word on numbers? I would be interested to hear how many got placed.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Talked to my daughter last night to catch up. I would be interested in the final numbers as well. We know that of her group of 12 friends that started, 11 found homes and 1 dropped before pref. I don't know where they all landed but we know that 3 of them are with her, 2 of them are Sigma Kappa's and then 1 ADPi. Not sure where the others went. From just looking at the pictures on social media from her friends looked to be in the mid 50's for most of them. Hard to tell though from pictures.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:51 AM
GreekChat Member

D said her PC was 55. I, too, have heard most landed in mid -50s. But i also heard, unofficially, that a couple did not make quota and would be doing informal (??)
Old 01-18-2018, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

I saw a photo on the Sigma Kappa chapter Instagram account and from counting heads, it looks like they got 55 new members.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Even some that made quota might still do "informal". but informal can be misleading. Having lunch with someone and offering them a bid on the spot can be considered "informal".

Remember, these are HUGE houses (physical structure) and chapters need to be able to fill the beds!

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 01-19-2018, 09:04 AM
GreekChat Member

People in the know, do we have any idea of how many girls were able to match? I've seen numbers from previous years, but I don't know where to find them. Thanks!
Old 01-19-2018, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

those numbers are not usually released until the recruitment wrap up meeting, which is usually the end of Feb.

I have heard unofficially (read: rumors) that all the women that put down two selections on their bid card did receive a bid.

I also have heard that many women dropped on preference either before or after the round because they didn't like their remaining choices. Which just reminds me that after all the outcry of how horrible IU recruitment is, and how horrible it is that all these women don't receive bids and how IU needs to add more chapters, that it isn't that the women wanted more chapters. They just wanted more spots in the chapters that THEY wanted.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 01-19-2018, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
Which just reminds me that after all the outcry of how horrible IU recruitment is, and how horrible it is that all these women don't receive bids and how IU needs to add more chapters, that it isn't that the women wanted more chapters. They just wanted more spots in the chapters that THEY wanted.
AMEN!!!
Old 01-22-2018, 07:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Now that the dust has started to settle, any reports on how things went. Any final numbers on PC sizes for the different houses? Was down in Bloomington this Saturday and saw my daughter. She showed us their event calendar and I was amazed at how full it is. In all, she and her friends seem very happy with where they landed and looking forward to getting to know their new homes.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

BBH, you were very honest about your daughter's journey, and I'm so happy that she received a bid from her legacy sorority. Not all legacies had that positive result, and I know we've already discussed that it can't be expected at a competitive recruitment school like IU. I am wondering if you have any insight on her success. Did your daughter already know girls in that chapter or have other connections? Was her mom a member of that chapter?
Old 01-22-2018, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sHoosier View Post
BBH, you were very honest about your daughter's journey, and I'm so happy that she received a bid from her legacy sorority. Not all legacies had that positive result, and I know we've already discussed that it can't be expected at a competitive recruitment school like IU. I am wondering if you have any insight on her success. Did your daughter already know girls in that chapter or have other connections? Was her mom a member of that chapter?
My daughter is very happy with her legacy chapter so we are glad it worked out for her. As for her journey, no her mom and I did not go to IU. We went to a mid-sized school in another state.

My daughter did know 1 active in the chapter but didn't realize it until she attended a legacy night event in December. The active she does know had her sister going through rush and didn't even get into the chapter but joined another. Not sure if the chapter cut her or if she didn't select them in the rankings.

She didn't submit any rec letters to the chapter either. She did indicate on her form that she was a legacy but that was the only thing she did really. Through rush she did discover that one of the active sisters was in a class with her in the fall and that girl actually rushed her in round 2 and 3. Honestly, she really didn't do anything special leading up to rush.

Her roommate also landed with her legacy chapter and didn't know anyone since she is from out of state. I don't think she did anything special either and in fact, through the first two rounds wasn't really hitting it off with her legacy chapter. That changed in the round of 9 and pref.

The one that surprised us is my daughters friend who is a double legacy for a certain house and her mom attended IU. She was cut just before preference round but she did land in another house and seems happy with the outcome but was disappointed in not getting her legacy house.

My daughter actually knew more girls in other chapters that all cut her after the first round, including one with my neighbors daughter. From what we saw being a legacy really only helps you in getting to round 2 and after that it really is up to each girl and their conversations. She doesn't know yet how many other in her PC are also legacies since she is still getting to know them.

She does know 5 of the girls in her PC, three from High School and two of them are in her LLC at school. I wish I could give you all some tips or tricks but honestly, at these large competitive schools it really is up to each girl. Legacy or not, I really do feel like she landed in the right spot just from what we've seen so far.