GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 943
0 members and 943 guests
No Members online

Old 08-22-2012, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
UC quota isn't usually so huge compared to freshman quota. It's more like freshman q is 80 and UC is 8.

It's more likely they are thinking about bigs or something logistical like HQWest mentioned...absoutely NOTHING personal about any of the girls who are rushing.
This isn't necessarily true. In California public schools (not sure where the OP is in school) we can have relatively large UC quotas because of rules allowing transfers from community colleges. For example, at Davis last year we had 29 for our freshman/sophomore quota and 9 for our junior quota!
Old 08-22-2012, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedg View Post
This isn't necessarily true. In California public schools (not sure where the OP is in school) we can have relatively large UC quotas because of rules allowing transfers from community colleges. For example, at Davis last year we had 29 for our freshman/sophomore quota and 9 for our junior quota!
Upperclass quota at UCLA is in the double digits.
The university has a large enrollment that transfers in as sophomores, juniors and seniors, that so many high-quality women (GPA, activities, leadership, community service) would be practically shut out if recruitment was geared mainly toward freshmen. Chapters are NOT required to take a full UC quota, but most do since the UC women are so accomplished.

I'll be writing recs for 4 remarkable UC PNMs for recruitment next month (UCLA is on the quarter system & doesn't start until Sept. 24th).

Additionally, UCLA has QAs for international students that are only spending 1 year at the university. The Chi O chapter has had some recent members from London, Paris & Thailand, who have added so much to the chapter.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:41 PM

Tangent:

UCSD is stopping its program that guarantees transfer to community college students that meet the requirements. They'll be using those spots to go after higher tuition out of state students instead. This will eventually reduce the number of 3rd year PNMs and overall quota.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChioLu View Post
Upperclass quota at UCLA is in the double digits.
The university has a large enrollment that transfers in as sophomores, juniors and seniors, that so many high-quality women (GPA, activities, leadership, community service) would be practically shut out if recruitment was geared mainly toward freshmen. Chapters are NOT required to take a full UC quota, but most do since the UC women are so accomplished.
I guess I have a dumb question, then. Why hasn't the culture of the school (or any UC school) just naturally changed out of the mindset that freshman = better? In that instance, it seems like as long as you have an upperclass quota, even one set so large, that is what you are saying. If the women haven't learned by now that upperclassmen are wonderful members who often end up staying around longer (i.e. not dropping out) and contributing more than someone who joins as a freshman, what more will it take?
Old 08-22-2012, 11:05 PM

Because a 1st year still equals more potential continuous years of membership and dues.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
Tangent:

UCSD is stopping its program that guarantees transfer to community college students that meet the requirements. They'll be using those spots to go after higher tuition out of state students instead. This will eventually reduce the number of 3rd year PNMs and overall quota.
Is this applicable to UCSD only, or are the other UC Campuses planning to follow suit? I have friends who are planning to transfer to UCSD and UCI, and this information would be of benefit to them.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Because a 1st year still equals more potential continuous years of membership and dues.
But it doesn't always work that way!!!

When you look around to see who's left from your (example) Fall 2008 class of 50 freshmen, 30 sophomores, and 10 juniors and the numbers are 35, 28, and 10, wouldn't you figure it out at some point? I mean don't they analyze this at all? Most of our terminees (if that is a word) were those who had pledged as early as they could, not the other way around.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Tangent:

Wow, I had no idea. I thought this was state-mandated some how or at least affected funding. Maybe the lack in funding is more than made up for by OOS tuition?

As I've stated on another thread, we have significant problems with the junior transfers from CCs. The vast majority don't adapt well, academically, to UCD at all.