GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,258
2 members and 1,256 guests
PGD-GRAD, Titchou

Old 07-03-2009, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebud View Post
For example to women who say to a rushee who is trying to write a real time story and are stalked by contributors who let everybody know what school the girl attends.
OK, now I'm pissed.

There was only one public "outing" recently and the girl who did it (who is an extremely sweet person) was very contrite and thought everyone knew the rushee's school already. She didn't "stalk" and wasn't trying to be mean. The truth of the matter is that between the rushee choosing a name that shouted her location and her utter lack of discretion, many people knew the school after the first post. She had multiple warnings that she was basically showing her underwear and chances to go back and edit, which she ignored.

The only "vultures" I have seen are in the ever popular "what are the reps of the sororities at blahblah U" threads, and that's because after the PNM is told, firmly but nicely, that reputations are NOT discussed on here, they keep pushing.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:57 AM
GreekChat Member

All I can say is that often when I read a true threat about rush I see comment after comment, "I know what school she goes to!" or "It could only be one of three schools!" I think that it is ............." "And, I know which house it is" And again, I really don't look at individual posters that often, I don't doubt that the woman you refer to is a sweet person in real life. I am sorry that you are pissed. But, if you go back and look at real (not fantasy) threads you will see dozens of the aforementioned comments.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
All I can say is that often when I read a true threat about rush I see comment after comment, "I know what school she goes to!" or "It could only be one of three schools!" I think that it is ............." "And, I know which house it is" And again, I really don't look at individual posters that often, I don't doubt that the woman you refer to is a sweet person in real life. I am sorry that you are pissed. But, if you go back and look at real (not fantasy) threads you will see dozens of the aforementioned comments.
Not that I agree with it (because I, for one, dislike it when people make those comments) but how is that "stalking?" Most of the time the PNM is not very discreet about not telling where they go to school or whatever. Being able to figure out where a PNM goes to school by putting 2+2 together does not equal stalking.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
YES.

We get a little annoyed with answering the SAME questions over and over.

We also get a little sick of getting snark from PNMs when they ask ridiculous questions and don't want honest answers.

We're also totally OVER retro threads from random people who don't even post here and really just came here to get attention.

You get the idea. It gets a little annoying.
Perhaps, but there's no rule that says you have to respond to a post.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Everyone seems to think that we sit back and wait for PNMs to post so that we can snark on them. Not true.

The PNMs that get snarked are the ones who ask totally dumb questions (i.e. what's the reputation of XYZ) or respond rudely to other GCers when they don't like the advice they're given.

I think that the best advice I can give to PNMs who post here is to READ THE STICKIES. Most of the time, your situation is NOT UNIQUE. One of the stickies will answer it.

Also, DO A SEARCH. Chances are VERY good that your school has been discussed on this site before (especially if it's a bigger school).
co-sign!
Old 07-04-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
And what isn't said is, "if people from out of the state who graduated 10 years ago can figure out this school in 2.5 seconds, perhaps you should be a bit more discreet in case any current sorority members at your school are reading this and wouldn't like what you're saying." Oh wait, that DOES get said sometimes. If it isn't sugar coated and tied with a pretty bow, that's because longtime posters here have learned that sugar coated and tied with a pretty bow doesn't get the message across.

I'm sorry that you apparently see the worst in people, and think that anyone who makes a comment like that is doing so with the intention of ruining a PNM's rush or "stalking" them.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
And what isn't said is, "if people from out of the state who graduated 10 years ago can figure out this school in 2.5 seconds, perhaps you should be a bit more discreet in case any current sorority members at your school are reading this and wouldn't like what you're saying." Oh wait, that DOES get said sometimes. If it isn't sugar coated and tied with a pretty bow, that's because longtime posters here have learned that sugar coated and tied with a pretty bow doesn't get the message across.

I'm sorry that you apparently see the worst in people, and think that anyone who makes a comment like that is doing so with the intention of ruining a PNM's rush or "stalking" them.
Aw, come on. Sometime, yes, you're right; the poster is told in a positive to neutral way, but another pretty high percentage of the time, it's just like what's happening here. There gets to be a whole lot of unwarranted attitude.

You're sorry that she, one of the more positive posters IMO, sees the worst in people? Really?
Old 07-04-2009, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

As a PNM I read the stickies and use the search button. And I love reading recruitment stories because they get me pumped up for this fall. /end
Old 07-04-2009, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII_LB93 View Post
QFP

Just so you know, not everyone here is a snarky bitch. Some of us just don't appreciate the craptastic attitude some people have, so we have stopped posting when it comes to giving advice. Some of us are also tired of parents who live a greek experience vicariously through their children and want to know why their dearest darlings were cut because they are so fabulous and wonderful.
No need to QFP me. I'm not going to delete my original post in hopes of gaining anyone's approval. There is one point on which I agree with Tippiechick wholeheartedly- you can disagree with me, and that's ok. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Yes- you are correct. Some awfully sad questions get posted here. I am certain that even the most tolerant GC'ers find their patience tested at times. After all, "I am going to XYZ University and I want to rush. Can you tell me who the awkward, ugly sorority is because I am so awesome I want to avoid the losers...." should not be posted by anyone with a shred of common sense.

Last point- you don't need to tell me that not everyone on here is a snarky bitch. Actually, there are many posters on here who are a credit to their organization. Others, however, make me wonder if they are just as miserable in real life.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
You're sorry that she, one of the more positive posters IMO, sees the worst in people? Really?
She was a positive poster, I agree, until she got a Mt Rushmore size chip on her shoulder because she thought something was referring to her that wasn't referring to her.

And again - if girls can't handle anonymous people on the internet telling them things straight up, no way no day are they going to make it through a competitive rush.

Getting back to the original question, which is why are there fewer PNMs posting. Maybe they are 1) reading the stickies and getting their questions answered and 2) realizing their question is too school specific for us to answer and going directly to their Greek life office. If those are the reasons, I think anyone who is sad about the "lack" of PNMs is a giant lame-o.

Last edited by 33girl; 07-04-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

i'm rushing in the fall & cannot wait
Old 07-05-2009, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

good luck to you cassie.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, let me take a second to thank everyone. In all seriousness, I don't think that the alumni on greekchat are rude or mean. I think that everytime I've read something mean was in response to a PNM that doesn't like what the more knowledgeable people are saying.

I think it boils down to us PNMs not liking what we're hearing, or doing stuff on greekchat that isn't too savvy and then being recommended to not do it. I asked for advice and I got some pretty frank responses, and I'm thankful because the people giving the advice have been there already. So....

One more PNM PRESENT! ^_^ Good luck to all PNMs doing fall rush!
Old 07-05-2009, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

thank you, FSUZeta & GatorGirl!
Old 07-06-2009, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

np cassiegirl ^_^ i'm rushing too and i'm uber nervous and i'm mentally preparing myself for the worst because I know the odds are against me. but i won't let me hopes get too down! I can't wait for recruitment actually and I hear it's an experience, regardless of whether or not you get in b/c you're still bound to make new friends and stuff. so...

power to the PNMs of 2009-2010! ^_^