GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,653
0 members and 1,653 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 08:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECdomination View Post
For the sake of discussion, I have to disagree with several of you.

To me, the worst part about being gay isn't the whole taking it up the butt thing (which I find pretty terrible in itself- exit only!). It's the fact that I find it so immoral and gays don't. What else do they find acceptable that I believe is completely appalling?
I would struggle to overcome their general viewpoints in order to be their friend.
Maybe you should just mind your own business about people's sex lives then.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-26-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenoconel View Post
I know this has been discussed before, but I wanted to hear how people felt about gays in fraternities in 2008? James
Okay, I don't agree with the guys who have made anti-gay remarks, but why did you ask this question? You "wanted to hear how people felt about gays in fraternities", but it sounds like you only want to hear from people who agree with you.

Some people have a problem with it, some don't. Hate to tell you, but you typing on a message board is not going to change the minds of some people. They don't agree with you. Grow up and move on. It's life.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 04-26-2008, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Maybe you should just mind your own business about people's sex lives then.
Stop acting like a butt hurt wimp and get out of here. You asked the question....you're getting answers.

Deal with it.

Personally, if we rushed somebody and he hid from us the fact that they were gay, I would be pretty pissed. Personally I think a bunch of men in a fraternity house environment have a right to know. Some are highly offended of homosexuality and would have high moral objections to living with one. That's just the way it is sport.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:06 PM
Banned

Well

I am offended you're such a cock! So, would you tell me that you banged your mother last night if I was in your fraternity, or that you licked your dog's nuts?
Old 04-26-2008, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I am offended you're such a cock! So, would you tell me that you banged your mother last night if I was in your fraternity, or that you licked your dog's nuts?
And you lose.
GreekChat Member

GreekChat Member

Quote:

Old 04-26-2008, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't tell if this is real or not.

But anyway, a couple of points:

1) Someone mentioned that you may get out in the real world and find that you do share interests with gay people. Yeah, I suspect that is true. However, being gay is a pretty big deal in that it impacts how you live your life, and often your ideology. It is similar to heritage or religion or any other aspect of life that touches on a lot of things. So yeah, there is probably a dude out there somewhere almost exactly like me, but gay. However, most aren't, and they're the exception rather than the rule. My fraternity is mostly Christian southern guys. I don't hate gay people, but most people wouldn't condone that lifestyle either. So the better question is, why are you so concerned with getting involved in something where you'd obviously feel out of place?

2) A fraternity is not a "we accept everyone" organization. I could give a damn if my fraternity reflects the exact diversity of my campus or city or state or the US. I simply don't care. I didn't join it to be a part of a microcosm of society, I joined it to be around people who share common interests and values. I didn't join it to be exposed to a range of differing viewpoints, I joined it because I get along with the people and considering I spent a ton of time around them, it was a great thing that we agreed on a lot.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Well said.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
.....and I'm offended that you're such a whiny, cry baby homosexual. What gives?

Nice attempt at trying to spin that around on me. Unfortunately I'm going to have to chalk that up as a loss. Sorry to rain on your parade, but I have never had sex with my mother, nor have I let a dog "lick my nuts." The thought of both of those is both disgusting and heinous.

If you're gonna pull this kind of shit, you better step you're game up a little bit Sally.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock View Post
1) Someone mentioned that you may get out in the real world and find that you do share interests with gay people.
Actually, the point we were making is that you may get out in the real world and discover some of your brothers are gay.

I don't doubt that you would never vote to admit a gay member. Depending on your org you may be within your rights to do that, even. But there are gay members in elite southern fraternities who will come out after graduation. I've seen it many times.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECdomination View Post
For the sake of discussion, I have to disagree with several of you.

To me, the worst part about being gay isn't the whole taking it up the butt thing (which I find pretty terrible in itself- exit only!). It's the fact that I find it so immoral and gays don't. What else do they find acceptable that I believe is completely appalling?
I would struggle to overcome their general viewpoints in order to be their friend.
This is interesting because there are homosexuals across the spectrum.

Liberal, radical, conservative, Democrat, Republican, Independent...yada yada yada....of course it is more difficult to be an out of the closet homosexual if you're pushing for traditional marriage, which can explain why Conservative Republicans get outted by the media.

There are flamboyant and stereotypical heterosexuals just as there are flamboyant and stereotypical homosexuals. There are heterosexuals who try to force their lifestyle and viewpoints on everyone else and there are homosexuals who do the same.

Despite that fact, heterosexuals don't get pigeon holed and neither should homosexuals. Someone who has truly been exposed to the diversity of opinions held by people of different sexual orientations and masculinities-femininities will understand that.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathesgelatin View Post
Actually, the point we were making is that you may get out in the real world and discover some of your brothers are gay.

I don't doubt that you would never vote to admit a gay member. Depending on your org you may be within your rights to do that, even. But there are gay members in elite southern fraternities who will come out after graduation. I've seen it many times.
Yep and there are gay members of elite southern fraternities and sororities who are/were very out of the closet as an undergraduate.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathesgelatin View Post

I have no idea what the "rights" are in my organization, but I don't recall that it ever made a difference.

I'm sure there are gay guys in southern fraternities. If I had a fraternity brother who turned out to be gay, would I suddenly hate him? No of course not (unless I hated him in the fraternity). But would I suddenly want to hang out with him and his boyfriend? No, I'd feel the same way I'd feel if he acted like that in undergrad.

I don't think gay people are a plague I can't be around, so it doesn't mean anything that someone in the closet was a normal brother. But an openly gay lifestyle clashes with the predominate values (and interests---girls) of my fraternity.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
This is interesting because there are homosexuals across the spectrum.

Liberal, radical, conservative, Democrat, Republican, Independent...yada yada yada....of course it is more difficult to be an out of the closet homosexual if you're pushing for traditional marriage, which can explain why Conservative Republicans get outted by the media.

There are flamboyant and stereotypical heterosexuals just as there are flamboyant and stereotypical homosexuals. There are heterosexuals who try to force their lifestyle and viewpoints on everyone else and there are homosexuals who do the same.

Despite that fact, heterosexuals don't get pigeon holed and neither should homosexuals. Someone who has truly been exposed to the diversity of opinions held by people of different sexual orientations and masculinities-femininities will understand that.
This is only partially responsive to you, DST.

I've been around a fairly substantial number of gay people, at least for folks like me. Meaning that I've worked with them, gone to school with them, was friendly/hated them on some social level, not simply that I knew somebody around was gay. All but one were liberal. A few of them I genuinely liked, and a few were "flamboyant" and made me feel constantly uncomfortable.

Yet, despite knowing a fair number of gay people and having some gay people I'd gladly call friends, their attraction to the opposite sex still grosses me out. I don't loathe them, I don't muster up some distaste, it just naturally weirds me out. So why then would someone want to live either A) in a situation where most other people in the fraternity disapprove and are repulsed by your lifestyle or B) in a situation where they have to act covertly?
Closed Thread