GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 933
2 members and 931 guests
KDKells, Xidelt

Old 10-21-2016, 01:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Considering a Transfer, but not yet initiated.

Hi,
So, I'm currently a new member of a sorority, my university is on the quarter system, and for various reasons I'm looking into transferring. The only thing is that I won't be initiated until winter quarter, and if I was to transfer I would have to either drop out during winter quarter, or skip winter quarter completely and jump into spring semester at the new university. Should I consider withdrawing from university 1 after 2 weeks in a quarter simply to go through initiation? sorry if this is a confusing question...
Thank you!
Old 10-21-2016, 06:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Why not just finish the year where you are and transfer next summer? Could you even start at the new school 2 weeks into the semester? Or, alternately, just leave after this quarter and rush again at the new school.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the response!
I'm currently a junior/sophomore in terms of hours, and I'd rather not continue out the year here if I plan on transferring, because I'm about to enter the teaching program.. Also, due to the fact that I'm currently at a school that uses a quarter system, if I stayed for the first 2 weeks of winter quarter, for initiation, the school I'm considering transferring to would be just finishing up with fall semester. I love my sorority and everything it stands for, so I would be heartbroken to leave before actually committing myself to the sisterhood... I understand that affiliating comes with risks, but I'm willing to look into those directly, and proceed from there.
I love my university, but with the changes in my degree, I'm not encouraged to continue on with something that doesn't head towards what I'm looking to do with the rest of my life.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:06 PM

Your education comes first. Figure out definitely what you want to do there.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

So your sorority has chapters at both schools? Talk to an advisor about your conundrum. School comes first but they may be able to help you out somehow. There are too many variables to speculate but I can imagine scenarios where the sorority arranges to keep you.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:40 PM

Assuming you are a new member of an NPC sorority, you have the following choices:

1. Go through initiation and become a sister. If the school you transfer to has a chapter of your sorority, they may or may not welcome you as a new active collegian. However, you'd be a fully initiated member of an NPC sorority, and, therefore, you can never join another NPC sorority.

2. Depledge and rush at your new school.

Also, what 33 said - your education comes first.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Ditto to what has already been mentioned. Personally for me, my freshman year, I went through formal recruitment their spring semester after already wanting to transfer for the following fall semester. I already had a list of school I wanted to go to and considered taking my bid if they were in common with the other schools, which was only 2.

Didn't get into either of them, so I declined my bid and went through Fall semester at my new school and the rest is history . I met some girls who transferred to my alma mater and while agreed with they did it for their education which should be the obvious reason they did regret a little not going to a school with their chapter. I would also do research on orgs your transfer school if you do transfer and they don't have your chapter so at least you're getting the socialization you want if you can't re-affiliate or go through recruitment again.