GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,370
1 members and 2,369 guests
flirt5721

Old 08-16-2011, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey15 View Post
Okay, finished Philanthropy, Day 1. I had 4 invites out of a possible 5 (could have up to 5 more tonight).
I was confused for a minute...but now after looking at the schedule it makes sense. I thought, damn, 5 chapters possible for round 2?!?!?! Now I see there were 5 possible slots for this day. I'm wondering, did you get your schedule for all of Round 2 on Philanthropy Day 1, or (since you will likely be answering this after the fact), did you have wait until Philanthropy Day 2 to get the other half of your schedule?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-16-2011, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm guessing that since she said she could get up to 5 more tonight that they get the schedules at different times.
Maybe it's to prevent girls from dropping right away when they see their favorite isn't there?
It would force PNMs to take a second look at ones they might have ranked while they hope their favorite will be on their second schedule. I'm guessing they're hoping that it might change their opinions of other groups.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck!
Old 08-16-2011, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
I'm guessing that since she said she could get up to 5 more tonight that they get the schedules at different times.
Maybe it's to prevent girls from dropping right away when they see their favorite isn't there?
It would force PNMs to take a second look at ones they might have ranked while they hope their favorite will be on their second schedule. I'm guessing they're hoping that it might change their opinions of other groups.
That's what I was thinking. It's a good idea!
Old 08-16-2011, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck to you, Smokey15! My daughter went through last year and is on the other side this year for the first time. She had no idea what went into the preparations for recruitment. It's an exciting time for you and for her and all of the other PNMs and sisters. As stressful as it is, try to enjoy yourself - have fun! They're all great chapters. I'm looking forward to seeing how your story unfolds.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I remember when my daughter went through last year they did not give them their schedules for the day until they arrived at Panhellenic. So they did NOT get the schedule for the entire round. The girls didn't like it this way. Some would have three favorites on the first night so they were happy, others would not have any favorites their first night of the round and would have to wait and stress out all day to see if they were on their list or not. It seemed like the heaviest cuts were made after Philanthropy round.

I can't wait to hear back from Smokey! My daughter barely gave me info when she was going through! She said it was too stressful!

My daughter said the same thing, ladybug84! She had NO CLUE what goes into preparing. She said it is still stressful, maybe worse. She hated seeing girls upset last year and doesn't want to have a hand in causing that this year.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Ditto what others said. You will be an amazing asset to any house. Goodluck!

University of Toledo
Theta Psi
Old 08-17-2011, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Sorry for the delay! I am actually typing and sending to an a friend who is posting for me. I was too scared to blog from campus in case someone traced it! Paranoid, I know!

Today is break day because it is the first day of classes. I would way rather keep on going!! I am going to post about my suitemate too later! She said it was fine. I just won't have many details because we are trying to avoid details when we talk about it. I would die if I told her how much I dislike one group and she ended up pledging there! Still, it is so hard not to talk!

Ok, well the second day of Philanthropy round I had 4 again, but no more that were my bottom three. Two of them were ones I really hoped to go back to and two I just wasn't sure yet.

I do want to say how just one or two sisters behaviors or appearance can impact an opinion of a PNM! I'm still bothered by the hand with the X on it from day one of Philanthropy. Also, I have heard over and over to ignore stereotypes. Well guess what? That is hard to do when the sterotypes are sometimes so hard to miss!!!

Falcons - (for those of you wondering, this would be Air Force Academy Falcons, my uncle went there)

Falcons- Another pretty group of sisters. I had liked their room in Panhellenic in the Go Greek round. I liked them, they seemed fun, I would rank them high, but... I can't really explain it. I was waiting for a "this is it" moment. I will probably go back and read this and realize how stupid i sound, but it's the only way I can describe it right now. Some of the groups are similar and it is almost easier to describe their differences from one another. Does that make sense at all??? So, I liked them a lot, compared to the two from Day 1 that I liked they are less polished than the Gators and less awkward than the Razerbacks. I DID like them, I hope to go back.

Gamecocks - I loved this group. They actually reminded me as a whole a lot of the Gators. They were fun, pretty, polished, polite but did not come off as snooty. I didn't think their philanthrophy was quite as meaningful to me, but I would still list them in my top three so far.

Crimson Tide- Very surprising and not in a good way. I thought going in that I would love them, I guess I heard they were good so I assumed. I don't want to give too many details because I don't want anyone to figure out exactly who they are. I felt like they rushed me hard. Maybe too much so. I had a feeling that they were almost pushy. I didn't think it was because they just loved me either. This was the one of two that I visited where I did not know a single sister in the room. I grew up in Tennessee and know a bunch of girls from school and church and several of my older sisters friends (my sister doesnt go here). So even though I don't necessarily know people super well, I have seen lots of familiar faces. Not here. I have heard that a few sororities at Tennessee are still very regionalized and I am wondering if this is one of them. I didn't LOVE them, didn't hate them. I wouldn't complain if I go back but I am just not sure.

Blue Devils - Well I will tell you right off the bat that this chapters philanthropy is very close to my heart. If I were ranking just on this I would have an easy number one. Beyond that, this was another surprise. I wasn't too sure about this group going in but forced myself to be open minded. I really liked them. There was more diversity in this chapter. I don't mean ethnic diversity, but just in general the girls all seemed different, no cookie cutter here. They were all pretty chill and it was all very low pressure. One thing I do when I meet sisters is I try to imagine them hanging out with me and some of my close friends. Some of them I could totally hang out with, others probably not so much. I guess that is normal when you have a big group of people.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

So after Philanthropy we had to rank the chapters we visited like this:

Our six favorites are ranked as #1. If someone visits fewer they just list them all. If someone visited 7,8,9 or 10 they rank six chapters as ONE and the rest in order of preference.

I visited 8, so my #1's were:

Gators
Gamecocks
Razerbacks
Blue Devils
Falcons
Crimson Tide

Commodores
Yellow Jackets

Even though we didn't have to put the six in order, this is how mine would have been.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Ok, my suitemate picked these after Go Greek. I do have to say, we are very similar, have a lot of the same friends, so our opinions may be more alike than two random people.

HER NUMBER ONES, REMEMBER, NO ORDER:

Razerbacks
Gamecocks
Hokies
Bulldogs
Gators
Wildcats
Commodores
Crimson Tide
Falcons
Blue Devils

2. Rebels
3. Irish
4. Yellow Jackets

She was invited back to NINE of her top ten, plus the Rebels. Here are some opinions.

Gamecocks - LOVED THEM
Hokies - NO
Bulldogs - LOVED THEM
Gators - LOVED THEM

Wildcats - LIKED THEM
Commodores - LIKED THEM
Rebels - NO
Crimson Tide - LIKED THEM ALOT
Falcons - LOVED THEM

Blue Devils - NOT SURE

The bolded ones were her number ones, I have no idea how she would order them, but her other three in order were:

2.Commodores
3.Blue Devils
4.Rebels (yep, she put them back on the list)

We are off today and the next Round, Skits, is also divided into two days. Each day we will be given a list with up to three parties to attend for a maximum of 6. The waiting is going to be TORTURE!!!!

Last edited by smokey15; 08-17-2011 at 11:47 AM. Reason: bold didn't show up!
Old 08-17-2011, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Good luck and GO VOLS!
Old 08-17-2011, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Great story! Good luck, how many women going through recruitment? (or did I miss that?)
Old 08-18-2011, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Best of luck. I rushed at Tennessee way way back in the day. Those were such happy years! Bid day in panhellenic is just the best.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Loving this story. Good luck to you!
Old 08-18-2011, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey15 View Post

Blue Devils - Well I will tell you right off the bat that this chapters philanthropy is very close to my heart. If I were ranking just on this I would have an easy number one.
Being ancient, stating just one philanthropy didn't happen until I was a junior, and I think just a couple did it at first. It seems funny to me that it plays such a role in recruitment! But, I can certainly understand.