GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,433
2 members and 2,431 guests
navane, PGD-GRAD

Old 05-16-2009, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Transferring.

Hi Everyone, I just joined today!

Since before I decided to go to my university I planned on transferring my junior year to a different university, being that my current school doesn't offer my major. (I just didn't want to go the community college route)

I joined Greek Life my freshman year and now I'm going on to my junior year so it's really started to hit me; I'm leaving this life/friends I've came to know and love behind. I've already been accepted to the university (Out-of-state/SEC) and now I don't know what to do. I've considered getting a degree similar to what I initially wanted, at my current school, then getting a Masters in my desired field. (At the SEC school)

I don't know, should I live out my college experience with my sisters and friends at my current or should I grow up, be an adult, and peruse my education for my future career?

*Just a side note.
The school I've been accepted to is Mississippi State and I'm currently attending a Texas school. I know how cut-throat recruitment is at SEC schools, especially as a junior. I've considered going through recruitment in hopes of joining my sorority at Mississippi State, but I don't know. I'd kind of feel like a trader, I don't know.

Any advice/help?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-16-2009, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused11 View Post

Since before I decided to go to my university I planned on transferring my junior year to a different university, being that my current school doesn't offer my major. (I just didn't want to go the community college route)

I joined Greek Life my freshman year and now I'm going on to my junior year so it's really started to hit me; I'm leaving this life/friends I've came to know and love behind. I've already been accepted to the university (Out-of-state/SEC) and now I don't know what to do. I've considered getting a degree similar to what I initially wanted, at my current school, then getting a Masters in my desired field. (At the SEC school)

I don't know, should I live out my college experience with my sisters and friends at my current or should I grow up, be an adult, and peruse my education for my future career?

*Just a side note.
The school I've been accepted to is Mississippi State and I'm currently attending a Texas school. I know how cut-throat recruitment is at SEC schools, especially as a junior. I've considered going through recruitment in hopes of joining my sorority at Mississippi State, but I don't know. I'd kind of feel like a trader, I don't know.

Any advice/help?

If you are already a member of an NPC, you would not be eligible to go through recruitment at Mississippi State. If Mississippi State has a chapter of your sorority, you should contact your sisters there about how to affiliate as a transfer.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Quote:
*Just a side note.

Any advice/help?
If you are an initiated member of an NPC sorority, you are not eligible to join another NPC sorority. You may have to go through some procedures as a transfer at your new school to become a member of your sorority at Mississippi, but if it is an NPC, you can't join a different one.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSAI View Post
If you are an initiated member of an NPC sorority, you are not eligible to join another NPC sorority. You may have to go through some procedures as a transfer at your new school to become a member of your sorority at Mississippi, but if it is an NPC, you can't join a different one.
Oh I already know that.
I stated that I wanted to join MY sorority at Miss State, being that current one that I am in.

Thanks for the reply though.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myopicsunflower View Post
If you are already a member of an NPC, you would not be eligible to go through recruitment at Mississippi State. If Mississippi State has a chapter of your sorority, you should contact your sisters there about how to affiliate as a transfer.
Miss State does have a chapter at their school.
Hmm, I always thought that you could go through recruitment but suicide for your current sorority.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Oh I already know that.
I stated that I wanted to join MY sorority at Miss State, being that current one that I am in.

Thanks for the reply though.
What we're trying to tell you is that you don't have to go through recruitment again. The process you'd want to go through would be called affiliation. Be aware: not all chapters allow girls from other chapters to affiliate, due to size reasons.

"Together, Let Us Seek the Heights"

I <3 My KΣ
Old 05-16-2009, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Like the others have mentioned, if you are an initiated member of a NPC sorority, you are not eligible to go through recruitment.

You will need to contact your advisor or someone at your HQ to find out what the affiliation process is for your sorority. Each sorority's process is different.

To your original dilemma, only you can make that decision (to transfer). Keep in mind you are attending college for an EDUCATION - first and foremost - so only you can decide if you want to change your major (no matter how similar it is) to stay at your current school and go for your Masters degree later, or to transfer and major in what you really want.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
Size reasons...or the chapter might not think you'd be a good fit. They're not obligated to take an affiliate if they don't want to.
Very true. Thanks for clarifying.

"Together, Let Us Seek the Heights"

I <3 My KΣ
Old 05-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

you should speak to the an officer of your current chapter and ask her the procedure to affiliate. the way some chapters i am familiar with handle a prospective affiliate sister, is this: the sister contacts the chapter at her new school , identifies herself as a sister from "former" chapter at "my old school" university. she would let them know that she would be interested in meeting the sisters at her present(new) school, in the hopes that she would be able to affiliate. the sisters at the new school would invite her over for dinner and to other activities the chapter might be involved in. at some point in the semester, they would make their decision and let the prospective affialiate know. it always seems to work better if the prospective affiliate does not contact the chapter when they are in the process of formal recruitment-it is just too crazy at that time and all though it is not intended, they may be so busy that they misplace your contact info or forget to get in touch with you.

you do need to leave your initiating chapter as a member in good standing-owing no money, not in trouble, etc.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Affilitation is a little different between the NPC's too. Some have voting procedures to affilitate with chapters, some do not. It depends on your sorority. Read your policies.

I think FSUZeta is right about not trying to affiliate in the middle of formal recruitment, but contact the chapter over the summer. Maybe you can attend one of their workshops, that way you can get to know the chapter and they can get to know you.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXiDTrish View Post
Affilitation is a little different between the NPC's too. Some have voting procedures to affilitate with chapters, some do not. It depends on your sorority. Read your policies.
Very true...AOII does not. If you are an AOII member in good standing, you are welcome in any chapter if you are a matriculated student at that university.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-17-2009, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

It would be an easy decision for me. While greek life was a big, and pleasant, part of my college experience, I did not attend college primarily to get a social life. I was there to get an education that would provide me with a career upon graduation. If I needed to transfer to complete that education, there would be no hesitation on my part.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:38 PM
violet_sigma3

Leaving people behind can be really difficult, especially in a bond like sisterhood. If you feel that you'd be getting more out of your education by transferring, I don't think any of your sisters would really hold transferring against you. They're your sisters, and more than anything, they want what's best for you. I would also look into what you would potentially change your major to at your current school to make sure it wouldn't involve you graduating later than anticipated.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:

*Just a side note.

Any advice/help?
You answered your own question - though you need a proofreader. You should pursue adulthood, as should we all. You will not be a traitor for following your educational goals, presuming they have not changed since your freshman year.

You are the only one who can make this decision.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

You may wish to somehow meet your Mississippi sisters first, too. Just as they may not think you're a fit, you may not find them the same as your current chapter.