GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,390
2 members and 2,388 guests
AOIIalum

Old 09-15-2006, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a cookbook from Tri-Delta, a silver crescent box from GPhiB, a DPhiE paper holder from Chi O and "Bound by a Mighty Vow" and a bookmark from Theta. All very nice!

ETA--I guess I assumed that the alumnae at conventions were there as delegates of the alumnae chapters, and therefore, my comments about being alumnae focused versus collegiate focused.

Last edited by LPIDelta; 09-15-2006 at 04:15 PM. Reason: pure craziness
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-15-2006, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you speak at all of those conventions or do you just attend as a guest?
Old 09-15-2006, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh no--I am guest to their panhellenic lunches. Backing up--Some of the NPC groups hold a panhellenic lunch as part of their conventions and they issue invitations to the NPC delegations of the other 25 groups. Because I have lived in two areas where conventions are common, I get called by my org to go as our representative.

I go, meet with my hostess, get introduced as as a guest during the luncheon (along with the guests from the other sororities) and enjoy lunch etc. and then leave. Most of the groups have held some kind of program that is relevant to Greek life. Sometimes we've sung songs along with the little old lady playing the piano... all good fun!
Old 09-15-2006, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
It's true.

The Fraternity pays for the collegiate chapter's official delegate (which is almost always the chapter president). If the chapter has money in the budget, they'll try to send one, maybe two more collegians. There are also collegians who pay out of pocket (or rather, pay out of mommy and daddy's pockets) to go to Convention as well.
SDT pays for the president and then one other member, usually the VP, Recruitment or NME Chair to go. My pledge sister and her twin went in 2004 and had a great time.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 09-16-2006, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather17 View Post
Oh no--I am guest to their panhellenic lunches. Backing up--Some of the NPC groups hold a panhellenic lunch as part of their conventions and they issue invitations to the NPC delegations of the other 25 groups. Because I have lived in two areas where conventions are common, I get called by my org to go as our representative.

I go, meet with my hostess, get introduced as as a guest during the luncheon (along with the guests from the other sororities) and enjoy lunch etc. and then leave. Most of the groups have held some kind of program that is relevant to Greek life. Sometimes we've sung songs along with the little old lady playing the piano... all good fun!

I was a hostess at our convention in Chicago.......
Old 09-16-2006, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather17 View Post
Yes like that...but we do not have anywhere near 300 alumnae chapters!! I have been guests to 4 panhellenic luncheons during convention for Chi Omega, Delta Delta Delta, Gamma Phi Beta and Kappa Alpha Theta. When I've walked in, there are many more alumnae present than collegians and that is VASTLY different from my organization where you will see almost entirely collegiate members.

For us it's probably about 50/50. Most of the collegiate chapters send 2 (or many more) women and the alumnae chapters hopsfully send 1 but we usually only get about half of our chapters sending someone. But then you have all of the alumnae volunteers and Foundation members (also alumnae).

Plus, the collegians who are coming from chapters where they are paying their own way (chapter paid for x members and x+3 came) they are probably only paying for part time and the luncheons are often what is skipped.