GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,556
0 members and 2,556 guests
No Members online

Old 07-12-2003, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Question questions questions questions!

I will be rushing in the fall, I am the first im my family to do so. I am relying heavily on advice and insight from friends, and anyone and everyone else I can! Especially all of yall! I have asked a couple of questions already and gotten great answers, thanks! I've got resumes, recs, clothes, etc. covered, and I think I am pretty well prepared. I just still have no idea what rush is going to be like. The first day when I visit all the houses what happens? Will one girl be assigned to talk to me? How do I get to talk to the other girls so more than just one will get to know me? I dont want to just walk up and interrupt another convo. I just would feel alot more comfortable if I knew what was going to happen when I walk in that first house!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-13-2003, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Basically... depending on the day you will be doing different things. Generally an "Open House" round is fairly short parties, you meet every sorority ... and (depending on if your school has a seperate day for this or not) you get general info about the process and rules for the week. If there is a philanthropy night there is usually an arts and crafts type activity done during the party... skit night the chapter will perform a little skit that tells you a bit more about their organization and chapter... some schools do a slide show or video type party... it depends but every night expect to meet a lot of women. Each round the parties last a little longer too. I know in my chapter when the PNMs come in the room our recruitment chair usually welcomes everyone and explains anything that needs to be explained she explains...if there is an activity..(ie philanthropy...skit) it is done then you mingle ! The chapter *should* be worrying about you meeting everyone and being good hostesses in that way and making introductions.. (they want to meet everyone just like you do) so you shouldnt have to worry to much about making sure you meet everyone. just go with the flow and chat with eveyrone you can !! HAVE FUN !!!

Last edited by Glitter650; 07-13-2003 at 12:04 AM.
Old 07-13-2003, 02:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the info!
Old 07-13-2003, 07:21 AM
GreekChat Member

As far as getting the visual as to what it will be like. The girls stand in to parallel lines on either side of the door. The pnm get into one line outside the door. The sisters are doing chants and cheers then the door opens and a sister will grab you so that the sisters are each taking turns grabing pnms. When I went into rush I thought that I would have to find sisters to talk to! I had no idea it would be like this and that they would grab me! I was grateful!
Old 07-13-2003, 07:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Not all sororities operate in the manner described by JohnDGsweethrt. Some groups will sit you down and talk to you as a whole before letting you mingle, some groups will haphazardly make their rounds through the PNMs. Most sisters, if they're doing their jobs correctly, will see to it that you're introduced to as many people as possible. (And don't worry about keeping names straight. No one expects you to remember anywhere from 200 to 1500 names in a single week.)

If the sisters don't talk to you and seem more focused on chatting amongst themselves, you're going to have to decide for yourself if they're really worth bothering about.

That said, be yourself, be honest, and have fun! Learning to deal with the high energy and stress of recruitment with a smile will endear you to the sisters, and a genuine smile can help lift the spirits of weary rushers and rushees alike.

Speaking of fellow rushees, a couple things to remember: You don't have to follow the crowd who all want top-tier ABC. Be supportive of each other's choices, and it will pay off whether you join the same organization or not. It's nice having friends in other sororities, if only as a breath of fresh air.

Good luck and best wishes!
Old 07-13-2003, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

wow I didn't know that. I thought we all did it the same as I described it. Oh well!
Old 07-13-2003, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks JohnsDGsweethrt and Lunarwolf for your answers! you dont know how much youre helping me! I am getting so excited!
Old 07-14-2003, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

i remember going through rush as a freshman, i also thought that i would have to find sisters to talk to on my own...it turns out that at my school, PNMs are never allowed to wander or mingle on their own without an assigned sister...PNMs are paired up at the door with a starter sister who will then introduce them to at least 5 other sisters depending on the round and you should have intensive conversations with different sisters for each round and greet sisters that you talked to on previous rounds for a brief hello or something...anyways, the systems are different at a lot of schools, but you can always contact the greek leadership at your school and ask them what it's like or DEFINITELY ask your rho chi