GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,528
2 members and 1,526 guests
gatordeltapgh, Phrozen Sands

Old 01-31-2010, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Joining a sorority

Ever since I can imagine, I have wanted to join a sorority and recruitment starts tomorrow at my school and I cannot tell you how excited I am. But I am wondering one thing, do you really find lifelong friends and your best friend in the sorority or do you just find typical friends that you could meet in class. Either way I am joining one if a bid is extended to me but I am just wondering.

THANKS!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-31-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msujenn View Post
Ever since I can imagine, I have wanted to join a sorority and recruitment starts tomorrow at my school and I cannot tell you how excited I am. But I am wondering one thing, do you really find lifelong friends and your best friend in the sorority or do you just find typical friends that you could meet in class. Either way I am joining one if a bid is extended to me but I am just wondering.

THANKS!
You get out of it what you put into it. If you only do the minimum that's required of you and spend the least amount of time you can with your sisters, you probably won't make lifelong friends.

However, realize that IT TAKES TIME. The past few years have seen a rash of recently pledged members on here who are upset that "I don't connect with anyone in my sorority!! I want to drop out!!" The problem is they're writing these posts after two weeks. This isn't the Real World where people are calling each other "best friends" after being in the house for 2 days. It can take you up to a year to truly find your niche.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

33girl speaks the truth! You get from the sorority experience what you put into it, and the number of alumnae that you see on GreekChat are women who did get a lot of the experience. I can't wait to see the grandbabies of my chapter sisters!

GreekChat would be a desert if nobody was happy about their Greek life. Hope you get a chance to be happy about one of your own!
Old 01-31-2010, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

putting in enough time won't be a problem for me, i plan on spending as much time with my future sisters as possible. going greek is a big thing with my family and I have seriously been preparing for for months...you know those people with rush coaches, thats preety much my family
Old 01-31-2010, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I went through formal recruitment in the fall and can say that wherever you choose to go, the members will embrace you with open arms. I highly suggest trying to connect with as many members as possible and not just finding a few girls to click with. Since you might be a new member of a sorority, you have to show that you are interested in them. Ask some sisters out to lunch or to a movie. Don't expect that when you get into a sorority that you are best friends with everyone, you actually have to get to know them better beyond what you know from formal recruitment.