GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,417
2 members and 1,415 guests
Titchou
Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know anything about a green book, but in the middle of 2001 recruitment at the University of South Carolina, the Theta chapter decided to relinquish its charter. I'm not sure about the other groups, but the Kappas were allowed to invite back a number larger than was previously set. What a mess--we had to basically go through the whole list to see who was eligible to be invited back!

Who knows what the numbers would have been had the Theta chapter relinquished its charter before recruitment. What a sad day when any chapter closes!

Also, I think USC is considering adding another sorority in 2004. Not everyone is at total or at quota--I don't like the idea. This new group might be at a disadvantage since most of the groups will be in a house by then. I could go on and on about the Greek Life office at USC, but I better not!
Old 12-22-2002, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally posted by FuzzieAlum
OK, here's a question for those of you who really know their green books. If chapters close or are added to a campus, how does that affect release numbers for the remaining groups?
AFAIK,

If you look at how release figures are calculated, you can see that they are based on number of PNMs, number of chapters, and percent return rates in previous years.

So, if one more or one fewer chapter is participating in recruitment, the new number of chapters is used in place of the old one.

Of course, in the event of a PHC colonization, the new colony generally does not participate in recruitment its first year (except an informational during the first round), so it would not affect things in that case.
Old 12-22-2002, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

~*DZ*~ Brought Together to be Sisters By Heart ~*DZ*~
Old 04-16-2003, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Has anyone else heard of a "sophomore bonus"? We used to have it and are getting rid of it for next year. I rushed as a sophomore but didn't know about it until after, but basically you can have freshmen girls up to quota, and then a certain number of additional sophomores if you want. It has to do with the fact that we have an old Southern system and 99% of girls are placed as freshmen.
Old 05-31-2003, 03:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Red face

OUCH. My head hurts after reading this thread...
Old 07-17-2003, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SparkliiQTMTSU Send a message via Yahoo to SparkliiQTMTSU
Quote:
Originally posted by MTSUGURL
OUCH. My head hurts after reading this thread...

I hear ya on that one!!
Nichole
Old 09-13-2003, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

i'm going to attempt to reply to this...

when you hand in your bid-list it is ranked, that way if a girl is "with-in" quota she will get a bid, esp. if she puts them first on her list. the way a girl gets her second choice is if she was "with-in" quota of the second group on her list and not the first one.

so if i say my first choice is ABC
my second choice is XYZ

and i am in quota of XYZ and not ABC i will get XYZ...this is esp. if everyone who is in ABC's quota but ABC first (therefor not giving those out of quota a chance to move up a spot).

does this make sense at all??
i hope so
greek love
violets
Old 09-14-2003, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

From an IFC / Guy point of View, Jeeze What a Cluster F!

This is like Abbot and Costello, Whos on first!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-14-2003, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
From an IFC / Guy point of View, Jeeze What a Cluster F!

This is like Abbot and Costello, Whos on first!
That's exactly how it can be!!!

It all comes to who the PNM puts first and whether the GLO ranks her on their first list. If she isn't on their first list, she can still get a bid if not all the girls on the first bid list put then first.

Say, PNM-1 wants ABC first and XYZ second. PNM-2 wants RST first and ABC second. If ABC put PNM-2 on their first list but she gets a bid to RST (her first choice, then ABC has a place for PNM-1 if she's ranked high enough on their second list. If not, then PNM-1 receives a bid from XYZ depending where she is on their list.

At universities where he PNMs are told to rank all the houses whether they went to pref or not, it's possible to get a bid from someone you actually cut to go somewhere else!
Old 11-24-2003, 02:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lindz928
Carnation, you put perfectly into words what I was thinking. It is VERY frustrating for me. I am our chapter's panhellenic delegate, so I see what is going on and I don't know if there is anything my chapter can do about it.

I know that if we have the support of the rest of panhel on our campus, we can become just as strong or stronger than the other chapters that are here. But, just like Carnation said, I feel almost like we have been written off by those in charge. They say they support us, but they seem to do nothing to show it.

I may be completely off in what is going on, and I may be overreacting, but I don't think so. If someone has any advise, please let me know. Thanks alot!!
Stand firm to your view and make your case to panhellenic. And, if bringing on another group is inevitable, it is ESSENTIAL that your chapter uses this year to continue making improvements and have a chance to get as STRONG as you can before the new group arrives! In a system like yours, only the "strong" survive....it is Darwin at work here because, unfortunately, in Texas, memories are LONG when it comes to a chapter's reputation...even if the chapter is a new and improved version of what it once was.

On a side note... check out the Aggie yearbook...are you aware of how many groups on your campus have been "lost" to this tactic??! It is frightening! And it will keep happening for as long as this pattern continues.

In the meantime, COB your rear ends off so that you are prepared and comptetive in size and look by the time the new group is rushing! It is your very best chance for survival and chapter health!
Old 01-19-2004, 12:24 PM

Hey all-

I have a few questions; some of them may be basic, but bear with me...its the first time my sorority is particiapting in formal rush. I'm the Panhel delegate, so everyone keeps comming to me with questions- and I left my Green Book at school!!!

Ok, when we make a 1st choice bid list, do we fill the list until quota? IE- quota is 20. Do we list 20 girls, in alphabetical order, then place the other girls on the second bid list?

How many girls can we put on the second bid list? Is there a limit?

As a side note, most of the Panhellenic is NOT being supportive. They kinda look at us like "You don't know this?!". So asking them is not going to be very helpful.
Thanks for everything!!!
Old 01-19-2004, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally posted by DolphinChicaDDD
Ok, when we make a 1st choice bid list, do we fill the list until quota? IE- quota is 20. Do we list 20 girls, in alphabetical order, then place the other girls on the second bid list?

On your 1st bid list you list your top 20 (# for quota) in alpha order. The 2nd bid list is all of the rest of the women who attended your pref party in preferrential order.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Quote:
Originally posted by DolphinChicaDDD

As NutBrnHair says the first bid list is always in alphabetical order and is the number of woman that is quota (in your example 20).

On your second bid list you may put any number of women to whom you would be willing to extend a bid. This list is in the order you would like to bid the women. It should contain the remainder of the women who attended your preference party that didn't make it onto the first bid list but may also contain women who didn't attend your preference.

By adding in the women who didn't attend your preference that makes the list a good starting point for offering snap bids.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Question: Hypothetically, then, if 200 women go through recruitment, and quota is 20, you can list the top 20 in your A list (alphabetically), then list the other 180 if you'd like?

This caused a bit of a donnybrook at one bid matching I attended.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
To answer honey's question: yes, you can.

A note on the other issue...nothing in the Green Book says your first bid list has to be in alphabetical order. Most groups have this system so that nobody except those preparing the bid list (usually a very small number of people) know exactly where each girl ranked.

/splitting hairs
Closed Thread