GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,448
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Theanex
» Online Users: 2,401
2 members and 2,399 guests
flamboyanttree, LaneSig

Old 08-29-2010, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Late bid policies.

I'm a freshman at the University of Southern California, and I didn't get a bid to the house I rushed. One of my friends (an upperclassman) told me that he thought that some houses still handed out bids during the week following rush week, which would be this coming week. He mentioned that there might be a day when houses set up tables out in the quad and talk to guys who either missed rush or failed to get a bid. Does anyone know anything about this? I appreciate any help.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-29-2010, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I have no idea how this works at your campus, but it is common for bid cards to be due to the IFC office a few days after the end of formal rush. Check our your school's Greek Life page and see if that deadline is given- or call the Greek Life office tomorrow to find out when bid cards are due.

Once you know that, you will know how much time you have to explore your options- and hopefully someone will post here with what those options are. I can tell you that at the campuses with which I have experience bids are extended with some frequency after formal rush and before the due date- sometimes special cases due to unique circumstances and sometimes because a given chapter keeps on rushing right up to the deadline.

Meantime, I would talk to any friends you have who did go Greek at USC- fraternity or sorority members- and see what advice they can give you at this point. A personal friend already within the Greek system at USC is your best hope right now. They are your best bet to find out which chapters are still looking and which are not, and also what you need to do in order to have a shot.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Last edited by EE-BO; 08-29-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

USC Post Recruitment

All schools have different recruitment policies and procedures.

In your case, you're in luck!

The [IFC] fraternities at USC have begun to offer an extended bid period for potential members that may not have found the "right fit" during the formal recruitment period. During the week following format recruitment, they usually invite everyone who has not yet accepted a bid to an informal gathering with all of the chapters. This provides another chance for chapter members and rushees to meet with one another. In the past, such events took place at Ground Zero, The Lab, etc.

You mentioned that you didn't receive a bid to the "house that [you] rushed." I hope you took the time to visit and meet with as many chapters as possible over the course of the rush week. While you may not have received a bid from the one that you mentioned, there are 22 other fraternities at USC that may very well offer you a better collegiate experience.

If you want to be in a fraternity at USC, you will be. And I am confident it will be one of the best experiences of your life.

Assuming you have already registered for recruitment, just monitor your email - You should receive a followup from the VP of Rush containing all of these details.

In case you were wondering, I served on USC's IFC for 2 years during my undergrad years.

Best of luck and Fight On!

-Ben
Old 08-30-2010, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Did you only rush one house? (if I'm reading that right) You're really working against the clock with other groups if they have no idea who you are.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

im dealing with the same problem here at FSU i missed rush do i still have a chance at a good frat house?
Old 09-05-2010, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

fdoms129u, did you miss rush entirely and not register? The advice given above is more for guys who were registered to rush already before the process began. This is a key requirement. If you were not registered to go through rush by a certain deadline, pledging is not possible except in certain circumstances which tend to be rare.

Also, if rush is over and you were not talking to any fraternities at all- then you almost certainly are going to have to wait for the spring or next fall unless there are chapters that give bids throughout the semester (it is rare- but there might a house or two at your campus that does- though probably not the "good" ones as you reference in your post.)

If you want more specific help- start a new thread of your own and in the text tell us a bit more. That will get you the answers you need. Key information would include whether you are a freshman, sophomore or junior right now- and if you are not a freshman, did you transfer in this year to FSU? Also, indicate the extent to which you have attended informal rush events etc. Be discreet about where you have visited and what you thoughts etc.- this is the internet, but GCers will need to know some more basic information about your situation to be of greatest assistance.