GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,499
2 members and 2,497 guests
Phrozen Sands

Old 06-21-2010, 02:17 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm not finished with it yet, but since I never got one upon initiation, I figured it was finally time for my own paddle.
"It is a truism that as long as man loves but himself and his art he can never attain to the full measure of manhood or reach the sublimest heights of his art. He must seek to love men as brothers and art, not for the sake of art itself, but art as a means toward bringing all men up to that verdant plateau where their souls may be fed in very rejoicing in all that is true, beautiful, and abiding." - Percy Jewett Burrell
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-22-2010, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Brother Crusse10, the one I made for my Big Brother was sword shaped. Took me forever to cut the damn thing right, only to find out i could've bought it pre-cut if i looked hard enough. I wish I took a pic of it before i presented it to him.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

As noted in this thread before, most guys here incorporated a sword in their paddles somehow. It's a common link between all of us, it seems!
Old 06-23-2010, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I chose the sword because our mascot at UCF is the Knight. I thought it would be fitting, especially since we were at the beginning of a someone's gawd awful attempt to change our mascot to the Shark.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshsx1 View Post
As noted in this thread before, most guys here incorporated a sword in their paddles somehow. It's a common link between all of us, it seems!
Mine's just a plain old paddle shape.

But the sword does look cool.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Disclaimer: If your job blocks facebook, you may not be able to see these. But I am too lazy to upload them any place else.

Last year, my friend crossed Delta and I had a spec' in my alumni chapter. We had a joint dinner and I gave them their crossing gifts:

What you do not see, and what I forgot to photograph, is that the backs of the paddles have our pictures on them. The Alpha's had a pic of the both of us at a convention, and the Delta's had a photo from us from a while back. Yay decoupage.

The next year, my Delta friend had a dinner for my 7th Alphaversary, and she gave me a paddle she made herself

The back says "O-Ren Ishii" (Lucy Liu's character in Kill Bill, aka Cottonmouth) -- sorta like the alter ego to "Mr. Matter-of-Factly"
Old 06-23-2010, 06:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
The next year, my Delta friend had a dinner for my 7th Alphaversary, and she gave me a paddle she made herself

Wow, time flies!

I love those paddles.

I also really like the sword shaped paddle.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Wow, time flies!

I love those paddles.

I also really like the sword shaped paddle.
Don't it? And thanks!
Old 06-24-2010, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxOff View Post
Brother Crusse10, the one I made for my Big Brother was sword shaped. Took me forever to cut the damn thing right, only to find out i could've bought it pre-cut if i looked hard enough. I wish I took a pic of it before i presented it to him.
A friend of mine, after dropping a big hobby of his, needed something else to do to take it's place. He picked up woodwork and got quite skilled at it. When I thought of the sword, I immediately went to him. His cut was fantastic, and he had it done within a week.
"It is a truism that as long as man loves but himself and his art he can never attain to the full measure of manhood or reach the sublimest heights of his art. He must seek to love men as brothers and art, not for the sake of art itself, but art as a means toward bringing all men up to that verdant plateau where their souls may be fed in very rejoicing in all that is true, beautiful, and abiding." - Percy Jewett Burrell
Old 07-09-2010, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

My paddle and the one I made my big. Ducks are our chapter mascot.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Cute! How did you make the letters sparkle?
Old 07-09-2010, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

hah Sigma Alpha sorority Alpha Sigma pledge class? Awesome :P

I'm a fan of the ducks (they're my family's mascot).

And Sen, the pictures showed up to me for the first time today: Those are great.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2010, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Paddles are kinda a big deal in our chapter. We exchange ALL the time and we have some amazing artists. Other chapters have come to our house and wind up taking pictures not of our house.. but our paddles. Here is one a sister made for me... They are a bit dark so I added the close ups and the back. :-) We have tons of other amazing ones but they aren't mine so I don't wanna post them.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoveloveSigma View Post
Paddles are kinda a big deal in our chapter. We exchange ALL the time and we have some amazing artists. Other chapters have come to our house and wind up taking pictures not of our house.. but our paddles. Here is one a sister made for me... They are a bit dark so I added the close ups and the back. :-) We have tons of other amazing ones but they aren't mine so I don't wanna post them.

Can't see the pictures, hun.

ETA: If you are trying to show them from facebook, you need to right-click on the photo and capture the link which ends in .jpg. Then, in GC, click on the little icon which is the mountain and the sun, then paste the link ending in .jpg.

Last edited by Senusret I; 07-10-2010 at 11:34 AM.