GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,032
1 members and 1,031 guests
No Members online

Old 03-11-2007, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Is This Legal?

Recently the PHC Public Relations chair on our campus has set certain "guidelines" for the things we can and can't have on our personal Facebook pages. This includes things such as no alcohol anywhere in the picture if you're under 21, no profanity or belonging to "questionable" groups. She is going through and checking two pages per chapter each week to check for these things. While I can understand (to an extent) where she is coming from, I do not agree with this. I do not have any of the above on my Facebook so I have nothing to worry about, but I do not think we should be "misrepresenting" ourselves. Her argument is that she wants to break the stereotype of sororities, but I don’t really see how this accomplishes things. What I am wondering is if what she is asking us to do “legal” in the sorority world? If so, I guess we’ll have to adhere to her rules but I just have this feeling that she’s getting more personal satisfaction out of this than using it to “better Greek recruitment.” Anyone know anything about this? Thanks!
Old 03-11-2007, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Could you all just make your profiles private?
Old 03-11-2007, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

No, something about if we don't add her as a friend, she'll get on someone else's page and look us up. I don't really know what she's planning on doing to us if we don't change it, but it just irratates me that she is telling us to change the things we want to say and the groups we want to belong to. Like I said before, I don't have anything on my page that would get me in "trouble," but I just don't like being told what I can and can't say, ya know?
Old 03-11-2007, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Old 03-11-2007, 11:30 PM

Alot of PHC's make the Facebook issue entirely too complicated. My PHC just requested that we all make our profiles private during recruitment which solves the problem entirely.

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I think all of our sororities attempt to do this with their members on their own. I don't see that it's that big of a deal...when you join a sorority, you give up some of your privacy and independence. I think that it should follow that when you become Greek you give up some privacy for independence. It will help the Greek community in the long run. It isn't being "fake", it's being smart. Having underage drinkers, for instance, on facebook is a liability both to the individual group and to that particular Greek community.

I mean, during rush you don't sit at the table and talk about how many shots you did last night, right? How is this different?
Old 03-11-2007, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
Aww My darling sister, I feel for you because I know you think these people are out of their flutterbudgetting minds, however, I have learned that when you join a sorority, a lot of time is spent telling you what to do and how to act and what to and not to say.
It is the "job" of my chapter's Membership Director to look for bad things and they will send us to discipline for anything and everything. So be thankful that it's just your PR of Panhel because I highly doubt that she'll have the time to search every member of all your campuses' sororities' public pages everyday all year long. (I'm on Panhel and the most we're planning on keeping track of is the Rho Gammas for affiliation). She really does sound very anal and she will give up after 5 hours of endless myspace pages anyways. Panhel after all, is a free job.

Give me three!
-Sis
Old 03-11-2007, 11:42 PM
Unregistered-

The title of this thread bugs me because "legal" has nothing to do with anything at all.

Did the PR chair set this rule down on her own or was it agreed on by all NPC sororities?

You have three choices:

a) Keep your Facebook profile as is, but remove any kind of affiliation from the profile.

b) Comply with what your PHC says

or

c) Don't give a shit, keep your profile as is, because really...who the hell is she to tell you what to do, right?

I'm so glad we didn't have FaceBook or MySpace when I was in college. I'd be all about c.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post
She really does sound very anal and she will give up after 5 hours of endless myspace pages anyways.
Unfortunately, she's skipping classes to check pages. I guess we'll just have to tough it out. Thanks, sis!
Old 03-11-2007, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phi_Mu_Belle View Post
Unfortunately, she's skipping classes to check pages. I guess we'll just have to tough it out. Thanks, sis!

What on Earth? I think someone's on a Panhellenic power trip.

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:44 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Now was this really necessary?

Nobody likes a tattle-tale, and trying to make her look bad isn't helping your situation any.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
Quote:
Um, in this case, she will flunk her classes and be replaced next semester! God, revenge is a b*tch!
Old 03-11-2007, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Last edited by ssuchidelt; 05-12-2007 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Won't skipping classes just end up hurting her? If her professors are anything like mine it will just backfire on her.

We're the girls who wear the pearls
You can't beat those sexy squirrels!

Old 03-12-2007, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

I can understand the whole underage drinking issue, but when she says that we can't belong to a group that has "the 'd' word" or "the 's' word" that bothers me. I may be alone, but I just wanted to see if anyone else had this problem. Thanks for all of the feedback!