GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Xi Delta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 305,997
Threads: 114,543
Welcome to our newest member, Kathie0970

Old 02-07-2006, 01:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Early History of AZD

Hey other Xi's!
I am an undergrad in the Iota Chapter and have a favor/question to ask of you all. I am doing my senior capstone local history project on the early life of my chapter. The chapter was the first National Sorority on campus in May 1905.
I have emailed HQ looking for information, but am awaiting a reply. Until then, does anyone
1) know where I can find early Alpha Xi Delta Magazines (not Quills yet)
2) Know any publications about Alpha Xi History in general
3) Know any good publications/books/articles about early sorority life in general
4) Know any other good sources of information for me???
I have looked at my college library and found some information but I will definitely need more.
Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Xi love and Mine!!!
Old 02-07-2006, 09:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Hi ... welcome to Greek Chat ... drop over to the Alpha Xi Delta forum and introduce yourself ...

as for history ... I'd certainly start with headquarters. They should have copies of every issue of the magazine that was ever issued.
Does your university library keep back issues of magazines either physical or on microfilm? I know that at one time the fraternity sent a copy of the magazine to every university library where we had a chapter.

There is also a copy of the History of Alpha Xi Delta from 1893 thru 1993 that can be purchased from headquarters. It has a section on the founding as well as a section on the fraternity broken down by decade and a small piece on each chapter that had been installed up to 1993.

The national web site also now has an historical section that has an over view of the fraternity by decade.

Another resource might be to contact early members of the chapter and get an oral history from them. Headquarters or your chapter should be able to supply you with contact information for alumnae members.

Other sources of information - Baird's Manual is a good resource, especially the older versions, there should be one or more versions in your university library in the reference department.

Good luck on your project. When you finish it, be sure to send a copy to headquarters.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Being a historian of sorts (ok, so I have my history degree), this is right up my alley.....I would LOVE to see the finished product!

For general early (accurate!!!) sorority history I would read "Bound by A Mighty Vow." It is a FABULOUS book and relatively cheap. It explains the early development of sororities...how they changed from a academic beginning to a social one (much earlier than I ever thought). It was written using the history of Theta and other sororities. Since your chapter was Chartered in 1905, the book will fit your time period perfectly. The book runs from 1880's to 1920's.

I agree with AZ-Alpha Xi, check out your universities archive library. Also look for local city/community papers on microfiche (sp). Back in the day there wasn't the negativity surrounding Greeks and they ran a lot of articles in local papers about them.

Make sure when you contact FHQ you ask for the archivist.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I have some info coming on CD-Rom from the fisrt 5 books of Baird's so I'll check it out when it gets here and see if there is some good info for you. The oldest Baird's I have is from 1930 and it has good general greek info... I'd also check with University Archives, older living alums, etc. Good luck and keep us posted... would love to see the finished product!
Old 02-07-2006, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking Thanks you all!

AXi1257- Definitely let me know if the early Baird's have anything on my chapter or anything less generic about AZD in general than the information in the 1990 Bairds which is what I was able to find in my library today.

AXiDTrish- I'm going to check that book out of the library tomorrow. Thanks so much.

AZ-AlphaXi- I'm going to look throughout the House this weekend and see if we have some copies of the magazine. If not, the Editor of the Quill has emailed me back already and said if my chapter does not have them to contact her.

I'm hoping I can get some information and do a quality project/paper. If I do, I will send it to Nationals and try to make a bound copy for my Chapter.
Thanks so much for your advice so far!
Old 02-07-2006, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry to intrude, but that's a great project that will hopefully be something worthwhile to your chapter. I had considered working on a similar project for my chapter, but just ran out of time.

There's probably someone (or several someones) at your HQ who will be a huge help to you. I had been in contact with someone at KD's HQs, and they continued to send me bits and pieces of things they had found for months after we talked. The people who staff your HQ truly love your group, so they can be great to work with.

Good luck!