GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 855
0 members and 855 guests
No Members online

Old 05-08-2003, 03:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Red face Hey GLOs (locals, regionals and nationals), has this ever happened to you?

Large Century Green I am a co-founder and alumna of a local sorority in New York! When I was a grad student at a university in Arkansas six years ago, I wanted to establish a chapter of my wonderful organization there. I spoke to someone handling Greek Life and explained to her what kind of sorority I am in. When she found out that my group was a local, she told me that the school only takes nationals. I thought that my jaw was going to drop on the floor. She also told me that I was more than welcome to establish a local on that campus. The issue was never pursued.
Looking back now, I should have put up an argument that all nationals were once locals. In fact, they began as locals and had been given a chance to grow. Why couldn't mine do the same.

I am attempting to return to grad school (dropped out the first time), but in Arizona (hopefully). I would like to bring a chapter of my sorority there, but this time politely argue my point!

The Trolls have taken over the Asylum!
Old 05-08-2003, 09:57 AM

Cat,
Locals are not as common in other areas as they are in NY State and some areas of PA (I'm from PA). There are people on GC who honestly weren't aware such a thing existed until they started posting.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Question confused

I'm a little confused by the post. You said that the advisor told you that the school only takes nationals, but that you are more than welcome to start a local on campus? (Maybe I read this wrong.)

In any event, there are many universities (especially privates) that will not accept new greek organizations that are not affiliated with some national governing body such as NPC, NIC or NPHC. This really comes down to the fact that the university will have someone to corroborate with if they need to take action. Having been involved with Greek Life myself at a smaller university, I found that sometimes it really comes down to the fact that most greek advisors only have experience with NPC or NIC groups, and don't know what to expect from locals. This is especially true with newer ethnic-based groups such as LGLOs or AGLOs. Some staff members are reluctant to allow these groups on campus simply because they are unfamiliar with how they operate, and they are afraid that they won't be able to "control them" as they feel they would be able to do with a nationally governed group.

You'll probably have better luck in AZ. There are tons of LGLOs that are thriving there, and I'm sure most other local/regional greeks would be welcomed there, too. Good luck!
Old 05-21-2003, 02:07 AM
GreekChat Member

LatinaAlumna, I am sorry for the delay in my response to your post. What I meant was the advisor in that school in Arkansas told me that while they would only take nationals, I would be more than welcome to establish a new sorority on that campus. No, you are not confused and you didn't read it wrong. This was what was actually the advisor actually told me.

Old 05-21-2003, 03:43 AM
Super Moderator

It depends on the university. A public university should recognize you no matter what type of an organization you are. They don't really have that kind of veto power. PHC/IFC would but that's an entirely different ball of wax we'd be getting into there

Founding a new chapter while in grad school is hella-ambitious. Best of luck with that!
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-22-2003, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

My last school has a policy that all new organizations must be affiliated with NPC/NIC/NPHC/PFA/etc...no more locals. As far as I know they have grounds for this, as chapters have to fold rather than go local.
Old 05-22-2003, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

My last university also put in a policy of no longer accepting local GLO's. It was also a public university. There were local sororities and one local fraternity, and all the local sororities affiliated with NPC's and the local fraternity has since disbanded I think.

One of the reasons they decided to put that policy into effect was because of a situation that was happening within one of the local sororities. One of the members threatened to sue the university (LONG story, but she didn't even have a case, and that's a whole other story) since the local sorority she was part of did not have any types of insurance or any assets to begin with. I guess the school figured if the groups had nationals with national backing, they [the school] wouldn't get into messy situations like that unless they truly were at fault for something. But that's just my guess.
Old 06-01-2003, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Texas*Princess, I am a little confused about your post about your last school not allowing local GLOs anymore? Do you mean the school won't allow LGLOs to expand to that school or allow new LGLOs to establish on that campus? Just wondering!

Old 06-01-2003, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Do you mean the school won't allow LGLOs to expand to that school or allow new LGLOs to establish on that campus?
CatStarESP4,

It is pretty much both of those situations. That year there was a new director of student activites who was Greek and wanted to see the Greek Life at the school grow. Greek Life wasn't very big.. each fraternity and sorority had about 20 members or less.

At around that time there were 2 local sororities on campus, and one of the groups ended up splitting into two, and he told both groups [and the other sorority] that there would be NPC presentations later that semester. He said the group that split off from the one local sorority would not be a recognized group if they remained local. One of the local sororities did not 'go national' but they are still recognized by campus since they were already established before they decided no more local GLO's could be recognized on campus. From what I understand, that group intends to 'go national' in the future.
Old 06-01-2003, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Ah, I see now it is both circumstances (rejection of local expansion and establishing locals)! Texas*Princess, thanks for the clarification!

Old 06-02-2003, 05:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to DigitalAngel126
Fairly off the subject, but where in NY where you?
Old 06-02-2003, 05:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Hey DigitalAngel126, I did my undergrad at Stony Brook University in Long Island.

Old 06-02-2003, 05:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to DigitalAngel126
Oh. LOL I was just curious because I'm from upstate!
Old 07-21-2003, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ShaunaF01
like i said in another topic, plattsburgh state will only allow national organizations on campus. it's been the rule for about 5 years now. we currently have local and regional organizations but all of them have been our on campus for years. i think the reasoning behind doing so is that they are more of a liability for the school. the nationals have the national backing and governance while the locals rely on the college.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

My sorority has been in the process of sending out letters to different schools now seeing if we can start chapters on other campuses. A couple of days ago I got a call from Adelphi University where we sent a letter to, saying that they only allow GLO's with a national charter to have chapters on campus. I just wish that more schools would recognize that almost all nationals were once local at some point.