GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,091
1 members and 2,090 guests
John

Old 10-07-2000, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not sure if your aware, but NPC sororities, or at least the vast majority just adopted new alcohol laws. There are three versions of the law, each one progressively stricter, and each national chose what policy they would adopt. If you went to the NPC website you could find info on these.

Kymberleigh
Delta Delta Delta
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-08-2000, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Post Rules

I have a question for people in sororities. What are the rules Panhel has for drinking? I know you can never drink in your letters, but I wasn't sure if there is any other things you aren't allowed to do. I asked some people in my sorority about it and they said to just uphold the sorority values and act responsibly and there is nothing to worry about, but I was just wondering what the rules Panhel or your particular chapter has on this.
Old 10-08-2000, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Honeybee:
I know you can never drink in your letters, but I wasn't sure if there is any other things you aren't allowed to do.
Actually this isn't true for all organizations within NPC. I know on our campus, we are the only organization that does not allow our sisters to drink or smoke in letters. It kills me to see girls with letters on walking around campus with a lit cigarette or out at a party drinking. Our girls know this is a big no-no. They have to cover their shirt up whether its letters or party tees. We all respect this "rule" because we respect our letters.

Kymberleigh is correct - you need to ask your chapter president or advisor about which alcohol policy your group adopted. Don't let them blow you off again since ignorance isn't an excuse with the new policies. (I'm saying "ignorant" in the sense of ignorant to the law - not that you are ignorant...just wanted to clarify since so much stuff gets misconstrued on here ). Anyway, your group should have had a meeting or workshop to discuss the new policies. I was under the impression that this was required since our chapters were required to sign papers agreeing to follow the new policy. If you can't get info from your chapter, then call your nationals. Just let them know that you were having trouble understanding the new policy and can you get the written material about it. I'm proud that you are being pro-active about the new policies. It shows good leadership on your part. Good luck!

------------------
"Alpha Chi Omega - If you only had 2 wishes, what would your second one be?"
Old 10-08-2000, 02:33 PM
kuu_kuu

Lightbulb

I got this from the Delta Gamma National Website:

No Alcohol Statement and Policy:
Statement on Alcohol Use -
The objects of the Delta Gamma Fraternity shall be to foster high ideals of friendship among college women, to promote their educational and cultural interests, to create in them a true sense of social responsibility, and to develop in them the best qualities of character. (Delta Gamma Fraternity Constitution, Article II)

Delta Gamma policy states that no alcoholic beverages may be served or stored on Delta Gamma property. The Council of Delta Gamma recommends that alcohol awareness and educational programs be an ongoing and integral part of each collegiate chapter's programming throughout the year. Council encourages members to identify with the concepts of responsible drinking and individual choice.

No Alcohol Policy:
No alcoholic beverages may be served or stored on Delta Gamma property.
Note: Property is defined as houses, apartments, lodges, suites, dorms, dorm floors and meeting rooms. This includes yards, driveways, sidewalks, and parking lots owned, rented,leased or designated for Delta Gamma use by house corporations or chapters.

I think if you go to any National NPC sorority's website, they will have a statement regarding their alcohol policy.

As for your college chapter and "can you wear letters if you are smoking or drinking?"...think of it this way: Would you smoke in public or get wasted if you had a name-tag on that had your First Name and Last Name on it? You probably wouldn't, as you couldn't hide behind anonymity, and if you were behaving in a manner which was "unbecoming", you would be noticed (as would your name). Similarly, it is my opinion that GLO members shouldn't wear their letters, if they're going to smoke or drink. Greeks have to do enough damage control as it is when it comes to how we're perceived by the public community at large, and this is how the "one bad apple spoils the whole batch" comes into play". If one GLO member is wearing letters which identify the group to which they belong, and they are behaving in a manner which is unbecoming, people may see this and brand the whole group as "Oh, I guess all XYZ members behave that way." Then the entire group has to work doubly hard to improve their public image. As the saying goes, "it takes YEARS to build up a good reputation, and SECONDS to destroy it". I know it isn't fair, and it kind of sucks, but such is life.
Old 10-08-2000, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Look over your shoulder, I could be right behind ya!
I like the idea of not smoking in letters. That was never our rule because too many of our founders smoked!! I WISH I HAD SUGGESTED THAT ONE!!!!!
Old 10-08-2000, 09:58 PM

Question

Perhaps I'm missing something, but what is the problem with smoking in letters? Uh, smoking is legal in this country for everyone over 18 - which would be all sorority members. I don't think you can get intoxicated and stupid from smoking either (unless we are talking about a different type of smoking).

I checked out the NPC's website and they have nothing about NPC 2000 (or whatever it's called) and the new alcohol policies. I would think they'd want to publicize it more.
Old 10-08-2000, 10:25 PM

When it comes to alcohol--DEFINITELY can't be wearing letters. This includes lavaliers! Our newer members tend to forget to ditch the necklaces before hitting the town. This rule is even enforced when there are only sisters around. Turn your shirt inside out for goodness sake!

As for smoking--our national policy is you can wear letters only if your smoking in a ladylike manner. WHAT THE HE!! DOES THAT MEAN?!?!? They seriously need to explain that to us. This isn't the 1800s anymore! Stuff that wouln't have been considered "ladylike" back then are the norm today! Help us out a bit!

I don't smoke, but I've been around it my entire life. I don't think I'd be too happy to see someone smoking in letters. It's completely gross.

Honeybee--I'm a little confused on something. Do you want to know what other types of rules we may have on behavior in general? Or were you only asking about drinking?
Old 10-08-2000, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl:
Perhaps I'm missing something, but what is the problem with smoking in letters? Uh, smoking is legal in this country for everyone over 18 - which would be all sorority members. I don't think you can get intoxicated and stupid from smoking either (unless we are talking about a different type of smoking).
Hmmm - don't think I used the words intoxicated or stupid when I made my post. Nor did I ask what the legal age for smoking was...all I said was that we (Alpha Chi's on our campus) "DON'T" smoke in letters because we have more respect for our organization than that. And yes (or should I say "UH") - smoking may be legal...and PLENTY of people do it (me myself on an occassion or two)...but no, in my opinion, it doesn't look good to smoke in letters. You think its fine to smoke in letters? Fine - then do it. If that is proper representation for your group - fine with me. I'm sure some people may think its fine to drink in letters also...I just don't happen to be one of them.

This is just another example of how someone can say one thing, and then someone else comes in and uses words that were never mentioned in prior posts to make them sound bad. If you're going to comment on a post, you shouldn't put words in someone's mouth.

------------------
"Alpha Chi Omega - If you only had 2 wishes, what would your second one be?"
Old 10-08-2000, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AXO Alum:
Hmmm - don't think I used the words intoxicated or stupid when I made my post.
Sorry, I didn't mean to put words in your mouth. I've always thought that the reasoning behind the no drinking in letters caveat is because you can get drunk and stupid and make a butthead of yourself, and you shouldn't do so when in letters/crests.

You said, "we don't smoke in letters because we have more respect for our organization than that." I don't think it should be implied that people who do that "disrespect" their sorority or letters. Sorry if that's not what you meant but that's how I took it. I find nothing whatsoever wrong with smoking, so I don't consider it disrespectful. I mean if the guys can get away with CHEWING in letters.....

Not only that - I went to a very small school with a very tight Greek system. Everyone knew who was in what org, letters or not.

I gave my full opinion on this in the "wearing letters/colors while drinking" thread. I think this may just be a difference of era, locality and changing attitudes.

Old 10-09-2000, 06:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Look over your shoulder, I could be right behind ya!
Thumbs down

Quote:

I mean if the guys can get away with CHEWING in letters.....

I think guys look like asses chewing snuff (I HATE JUST TYPING THAT WORD!)and people in general look like fools smoking. I don't like to be around it and it makes the clothes you are wearing smell like s**t! I am so anti-smoking its not funny. But note that I couldn't care less if you smoke. I personally hate smoking....
Old 10-09-2000, 11:35 AM
kuu_kuu

Quote:
Perhaps I'm missing something, but what is the problem with smoking in letters? Uh, smoking is legal in this country for everyone over 18 - which would be all sorority members.
While smoking is legal, it is still an unhealthy activity to partake in. The fact is, many people view it as a filthy habit. So, if you are wearing your letters and you light up, would you want to risk that the public would see your letters, form their own negative preconceived notions about your chapter based on what they have seen. Yes, it is a bit hypocritical to "smoke behind closed doors", but life isn't perfect.

Old 10-09-2000, 11:38 AM
kuu_kuu

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by sigmagrrl:
I like the idea of not smoking in letters. That was never our rule because too many of our founders smoked!!
Yes, many of your founders likely did smoke. At that time, smoking was viewed as a "sexy thing" to do, and no one was aware of the nagative health implications yet.

Old 10-09-2000, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

SoCalGirl, I was just wondering about the rules on drinking. I know that sororities expect their members to act responsibly and with the proper respect. I just didn't know if any chapters had the rule where you weren't allowed to drink at parties at all...I know if you are underage you are not supposed to, but it is common knowledge that at college parties (or any parties for that matter), that is not always the case. Thanks everyone for the help :-)