GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,409
5 members and 1,404 guests
acg233, John, Phrozen Sands, Sarak24034

Old 06-13-2007, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Black Sorority Musical Traditions

Let's talk about singing!

Do you believe in the power of the sung word in sororal life?

Can music recruit?

Do you believe that black sorority chapters at HBCUs sing more than chapters at predominately white universities?

At what non-ritual occasions might a sorority sing?

These sound like stupid questions probably, but I am trying to get into a discussion about musical traditions among black sororities, which I have many questions about, not the least of which is why YEARS later I still can't get certain sorority songs out of my head? LOL
Old 09-08-2007, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Aight, y'all had three months to answer, LOL....

But seriously, I also wonder why it seems as though the black fraternity musical tradition isn't as strong as our sorority counterparts. Except, to be honest, I think the Ques have a pretty solid musical tradition in DC.

Anyway, carry on.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I am just now seeing this.

Very honestly, I think we have lost our singing tradition. When I was a collegiate, sororities did "performances" not step shows. And we did choreographed dances while singing. Also singing on the quad was the norm.

Most of the songs you hear today are from that era. I really haven't heard any new creations.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 09-08-2007, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

In my era (late 80's) we still sang on the yard but we incorporated more choreography than in previous generations. Now it seems like the vocal tradition is lost and all that is left is the choreography or stepping.

I attended a chapter reunion from my collegiate chapter a few years ago; at this particular event, most of the sorors present were from the late 90's and early 2000's. I suggested we sing our Sweetheart Song on the yard like we used to do back in the day and many looked at me like I had three heads! Humph, old school sorors would have been out in full force
Old 09-08-2007, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I would love to learn/know more of our traditional songs...I hate that we moved away from singing more.... my random ADD makes it hard for me to master really complex steps but I lOVE music.....

When you drop the baggage, your hands will then be free to embrace the blessings...
Old 09-09-2007, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOhsoflyDELTA#9 View Post
I would love to learn/know more of our traditional songs...I hate that we moved away from singing more.... my random ADD makes it hard for me to master really complex steps but I lOVE music.....
You sound just like me! I'd love to learn more traditional songs.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChanelLover View Post
You sound just like me! I'd love to learn more traditional songs.
Same here. i think it's one of the special things that connects the older generation with the younger.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOhsoflyDELTA#9 View Post
The above applies to me! My graduate advisor wants us to sing really really bad, I just am not sure if everyone else wants to. I would love to participate, especially since I saw the Alpha Chapter presentation a few months ago.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

And here I thought sorority chapters just broke into song all the time like High School Musical. How wrong I was.

My grad chapter has recently begun a chorus.... and I'm part of it, but the weekly meetings are really inconvenient. I think that given the nature of my chapter it might be more realistic to teach a new Alpha song at every (other) chapter meeting rather than separate rehearsals. Out of 182 brothers, only six showed up for chorus rehearsal, yet *everyone* thinks it's a good idea.

I am starting to think it's easier to teach aspirants the songs than members.... when you're an aspirant, learning songs is like WOOOOWWWW I am being entrusted with the musical tradition.... and you're more inspired to pass them to the next generation. When you're a member, especially in an alumni chapter, you have lots of songs and styles clashing, so it's like what do you learn first, what's more important, etc. And then too, the songs you learn might *feel* chapter specific, and you might not think it's appropriate to pass them along outside the chapter.

Here is a clip of Kappas singing some song I'd never heard. Try to ignore the groupie reactions: http://youtube.com/watch?v=_FtnPzQjkq8

Last edited by Senusret I; 09-10-2007 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

as a non-member, it is really beautiful to see the Sororities sing on campus. During homecoming, after the game everyone congregates at this space on the yard called "the bowl" where each NPHC org has a "plot." Is is an AMAZING sight to see so many generations of women circled up, holding hands, singing (and a little dancing... i've seen one group do something that kinda looked like the hokey pokey). I have only seen this at homecoming though, I am not a member and I am not familiar with the musical traditions of NPHC sororities but as an outsider it's really moving to see.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

i, too, think it's a shame we don't sing, or even chant, much anymore. I was talking to a soror who pledged in the 50s; she was very surprised to learn that fraternities don't serenade anymore, much less that sorors don't sing too much either. I'd be interested to know when sorors "stopped" passing songs on as a whole, save cases where there's no one around to do so. it's sad to see at homecoming when you have sorors from the 80s and 90s singing and chanting and sorors from the 00s just standing by not sure if they should ask or what.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12dn94dst View Post
i, too, think it's a shame we don't sing, or even chant, much anymore. I was talking to a soror who pledged in the 50s; she was very surprised to learn that fraternities don't serenade anymore, much less that sorors don't sing too much either. I'd be interested to know when sorors "stopped" passing songs on as a whole, save cases where there's no one around to do so. it's sad to see at homecoming when you have sorors from the 80s and 90s singing and chanting and sorors from the 00s just standing by not sure if they should ask or what.
I so agree Soror!!

When you drop the baggage, your hands will then be free to embrace the blessings...
Old 09-10-2007, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Deltas serenading their soror @ her graduation

This is one of the reasons why I joined a sorority. It's one of those beautiful moments that music, specific to the situation, enhances and makes it more meaningful. This is something you remember for the rest of your life.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle View Post
Deltas serenading their soror @ her graduation

This is one of the reasons why I joined a sorority. It's one of those beautiful moments that music, specific to the situation, enhances and makes it more meaningful. This is something you remember for the rest of your life.
We do serenade at graduations. In May we barely made it through the song because everyone was crying.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Ya'll have me going around my apartment singing now. Thanks...I hope my neighbors don't get upset if I get too loud.