GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,159
3 members and 2,156 guests
aantonygooglet9, Cookiez17

Old 04-08-2009, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment Ideas????

I posted this question else where in GC but figured I'd try again in an obviously more appropriate forum. I am running for VP of Membership in my sorority and need a little help. I have ALOT of ideas on what to add or "tweek" from previous rush events. However, I am looking for one AMAZING new idea. I've come up with being involved in Move-in day as an organization (no other greek orgs do that on campus) and having a game to play during our backyard bash (this is basically our organization shopping day). Any ideas anyone?????
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

purchase tons of water bottles, print new labels for the bottles with your sorority name and the rush dates on them, ice them down, and hand them out while you help out on move in day.

also order some really cute t-shirts for all the sisters to wear on move in day.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Just a word of warning about the water bottles and other items you may give out... you really need to check with your campus panhellenic on their rules for such things. It could be that giving items to a PNM or her family could be a major rush infraction because it could be considered a "gift". Also, you need to make sure that by helping with move in day, you are not violating any of the silence rules of recruitment pertaining to the type of contact allowed between actives and PNMs.

If helping with move in day is allowed, I would most definately go with the t shirt idea. It would really make an impression. Good luck!

Old 04-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

if it is not outlined as such in the recruitment rules for the campus, it would not be a violation.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Helping during move in day is an AMAZING idea. We do it at my school and it really helps people get familiar with individual members. What we do (as panhellenic but not as individual organizations because it's not allowed) is we serve snow cones outside of the dining area. Maybe this would be a good idea? I know here in Georgia is hot as all get out during move in. It's also a nice way to appeal to parents because they are just as tired as the PNMs
Old 04-20-2009, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmacutie View Post
Helping during move in day is an AMAZING idea. We do it at my school and it really helps people get familiar with individual members. What we do (as panhellenic but not as individual organizations because it's not allowed) is we serve snow cones outside of the dining area. Maybe this would be a good idea? I know here in Georgia is hot as all get out during move in. It's also a nice way to appeal to parents because they are just as tired as the PNMs
We did a similar thing at Freshman move in at my school. We had to wear our Panhellenic shirts and we could wear one item that represented our sorority, like a button or pin. If a PNM asked us about our sorority, we were supposed to talk out Panhellenic. I know the water bottle thing would be a major infraction on my campus, but it does vary from school to school.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

If no other Greek organizations on campus help people move in, I'd think that would make your organization stand out more. The snow cone idea is also great. You could combine the two- have the sisters take turns helping people move things in, then bringing the new residents and any parents back to a table where you serve them lemonade, snow cones, or root beer floats, and talk to them about campus life, etc.

Check your Panhellenic's rules and go for it.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Even if you can't help people move their stuff in, there's nothing against you simply being a friendly face around the dorms. Talk to people! Walk by and say hi. Strike up a conversation with someone. And if there are other festivities that day for the freshmen where you know sisters will be (make them go!), then you can finish a conversation with, "If you haven't heard, there's going to be a free lunch in front of the student union at 2. You should go.. Maybe we'll see you there." etc. etc.

@~/~~~~