GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,412
2 members and 1,410 guests
No Members online

Old 01-29-2009, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I apologize I haven't been diligent in keeping up with this thread.
I didn't mean to insult by saying that locals have different issues than nationals. In my experience, which is solely at my campus, the issues involving recruitment, marketing and PR, Alumni and various other issues are different then the national sororities.

I have ideas, I just wanted to see what other people would like. I want to know what effects you on your campus/es that you would like help addressing and/or learning more about.

Also I think that while a specific organization may not be need to host the event, it would probably make it all that much easier. My chapter is located in the midwest, but I'm not sure if we are the best location. Where would be centrally located for the majority of local chapters?

Does anyone have contact info for other local organizations? I realize that many are not on this forum, but maybe you know of some? There use to be a great website that had a list, but I can't find it...I'm not even sure if it's kept updated.

Please feel free to message me the info if you can. Thank you for expressing your interests and opinions!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-30-2009, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

There were conferences in 2005 and 2006 (see threads below)

The biggest problem with the way they were set up is that it required one chapter to be willing to take on all the planning and responsibility to set it up. I think they also wanted it to rotate around to different campuses every year. It was bound to fall through the cracks at some point, and it did.

What would be interesting is if you could recruit girls from chapters around the country and work together as locals to plan an event. As much as having it in only one place hurts because its always going to be a bigger travel for one group than another, it would gice some stability to the event for the first couple years. Not only would it build bonds between locals and increase networking, it would also give you guarenteed attendees from those chapters and a semblance of longevity since it doesn't depend on one chapter getting its act together. Not that there aren't definite fallbacks to this option either, but I think a local conference is such a great opportunity for locals to learn from each other and develop into stronger groups and anything you can do to keep this going would be fantastic.

If you wan't to go this route, you should also strongly consider finding an advisor to a local sorority (who is planning to be around for a while) that would be willing to take on some of the planning and would be able to help plan it each year and make sure it happens. Maybe even an alum from a local who could be very dedicated?

Anyways, those are just a couple of ideas I was thinking about reading your posts. You can probably get some contact for the past events and maybe some information about who they invited/who attended from their threads.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=72344

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=64145
Old 02-03-2009, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kappahockey
My chapter went to a local sorority convention back in I want to say 2005 and it was a great way to bounce Ideas off each other and learn what has worked for other chapter and what hasn't I would search past threads because this website is where I found out about that convention as far as I know the last year it was held was 2006 in New York. Any other question feel free to ask!
Old 02-09-2009, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Sorority In Green Bay

I know my sorority would be extremely interested in a convention this year. Some of the older members went to one a couple years ago and have been asking about another one. We would be there!
Old 03-08-2009, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

greek convention yeah!

my local is located in nyc and would be very interested in attending a convention.

we have recently run into problems that we feel other locals could help with and that may benefit others as well.

1. recruitment - how to recruit like a national or betterthan one or something like that.

2. the pros and cons of panhell/ifc and if creating a local greek governing body is an option / pros & cons of it.

3. why or why not to go national.

4. constitutional help.

5. how to find girls interested in your local org but not interested in rush.

6. how to adapt to different girls / changes in the school without losing the original ideals and values of the org.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Emeril12
Phi Rho Alpha attended in 2006 and it was a fantastic experience, we gained a lot of valuable information and resources. I know there has been talk in my sorority about attending again, so even though I gradated, I'm sure some girls from my sorority would go.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I am in a fraternity, I dont know if this would just be a conference for sororities, but if it were for both Fraternities and sororities, I would love to volunteer my organization

Bronx Newyork

XOE Spring 06