GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,249
3 members and 2,246 guests
aaidativanovoz6, Sen's Revenge

Old 09-07-2008, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Pref Night / Bid Day Question

x

Last edited by sherryanne; 07-26-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-07-2008, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WinniBug
If you don't want XYZ AT ALL, then don't rank them on your pref card.
Read this thread.... http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=99379
wherever there is fun, there's ALWAYS ALPHA SIGMA!

Old 09-07-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryanne View Post
If I went to ABC, DEF, and XYZ on Pref Night, and I really liked ABC and DEF, but I can't see myself in XYZ, should I just list ABC and DEF only? I'd rather not get a bid than get a bid to XYZ - would this be the appropriate way to do it?
If you list ABC and DEF only, there is a risk that you could go bidless. I am with WinniBug though, "If you don't want XYZ AT ALL, then don't rank them on your pref card.". I would rather be bidless, than have a bid from a group that I didn't want.

Quote:
Also, if I accept a bid on Bid Day, does that mean that there is no way I can do Continuous Open Bidding if I end up dropping out?
Once you are extended a bid, you are ineligible for 1 year. However, if you are bidless, I believe you are eligibile for COB / COR ("snap bids"). If your 2 favorite groups have made quota though, they will not be able to extend a bid to you.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:31 PM

If you hated every girl you met in XYZ and would rather eat ground glass than spend another minute with them....don't put them down on your bid card.

However, if you had a relatively decent time at their parties and the only things you don't like about them are their campus reputation or the fact that some of the girls were a little awkward - give it a shot, especially if you are at a competitive school, because it may be the difference between being Greek or not being Greek at all. Even if you hate it and drop out (and you are bound to them for a year) you probably still would want to go through formal rush again and can't do that till next year anyway.

If several of the chapters at your school are under total and most groups have to snap bid and open bid to reach quota and total, then don't put XYZ down on your bid card.

You aren't going to "drop out" so that is really a moot point - you have 2 groups you know you like and can put down. If you do that and neither takes you, you are still eligible for snap bids/open bids.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:38 PM

When you put a sorority on your card, you're saying that you are willing to accept a bid from them.

If you know that you would rather not be in a sorority AT ALL than join XYZ, then do not put them on your final card.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 09-08-2008 at 02:26 AM.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
If you hated every girl you met in XYZ and would rather eat ground glass than spend another minute with them....don't put them down on your bid card.
33girl,

I LOVE your choice of words! You are right that her dislike should be THAT strong for a woman to intentionally exclude a chapter from her bid card. Well said.

All of us GLO collegians and alumnae probably have sisters who are happy members of what was their last choice chapter.

Eating ground glass. I'm cracking up!

~*~
SureSister ~*~

Old 09-08-2008, 04:10 AM

FYI: If you accept a bid, you cannot participate in ANY Panhellenic recruitment (formal or COB) for a full calendar year.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind during recruitment. I've seen the word "snap bid" often recently - is that given out only during COB (I keep seeing it in COB topics)? I'm not quite sure what it is - does fall recruitment have these snap bids?
Old 09-09-2008, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind during recruitment. I've seen the word "snap bid" often recently - is that given out only during COB (I keep seeing it in COB topics)? I'm not quite sure what it is - does fall recruitment have these snap bids?
Yes, snap bids are given out as part of the bid matching process of formal recruitment. Any bidding that occurs outside of/after formal bid matching is technically considered a COB bid, not a snap bid.

This thread contains some details about how snap bidding works, as it is a little complicated:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...t=snap+bidding

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 09-09-2008 at 01:14 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I had a friend who didn't get a bid/snap bid last year - she didn't make it to Pref Night, actually. She's going to rerush next week. Would she be seen as "damaged goods" in this case? She knows that the actives will probably ask why she decided to rush again - should she mention about her experience last year and not getting a bid?
Old 09-09-2008, 10:58 PM

Quote:
I had a friend who didn't get a bid/snap bid last year - she didn't make it to Pref Night, actually. She's going to rerush next week. Would she be seen as "damaged goods" in this case? She knows that the actives will probably ask why she decided to rush again - should she mention about her experience last year and not getting a bid?
This is a tough call. It depends on the school really. At some schools, second-time rushees have the same chance to get a bid as anyone else, while at others it's practically unheard of.

If they ask about her from last year, depending on the school, they probably already know that she didn't get a bid last time.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to gpb1874
Quote:
I'd say it depends on her experience last year. If she got cut from every house, I probably wouldn't bring it up. If she had to drop for some reason, it's probably safe to say "i had this (personal) thing come up and had to withdraw last year. I'm still really interested in what sorority life has to offer, so I wanted to give it another shot now that (thing) is all worked out." I wouldn't go into too much detail about personal thing with girls that you don't know. Never a good idea!