GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,465
0 members and 2,465 guests
No Members online

Old 08-05-2009, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

question about pref.

Hello GC!

I know that wardrobe questions have been answered numerous of times but I was hoping to get some help. Our school's panhellenic website doesn't specify guidelines about clothing to wear during recruitment events but I have read here on GC as well as last year's recruitment Facebook group that for pref, formal attire is recommended. Most girls end up wearing dresses, which is the norm from what I have learnt here on GC. My problem is that I don't and can't wear cocktail dresses because of my religious affiliation(I am muslim and most dresses are short/knee length).So my question is: Is it weird to wear trousers to pref?Also, if not a cocktail dress, do any of you have any suggestions for me?I would appreciate it greatly.

Thankyou
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-05-2009, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danke shoen View Post
Hello GC!

I know that wardrobe questions have been answered numerous of times but I was hoping to get some help. Our school's panhellenic website doesn't specify guidelines about clothing to wear during recruitment events but I have read here on GC as well as last year's recruitment Facebook group that for pref, formal attire is recommended. Most girls end up wearing dresses, which is the norm from what I have learnt here on GC. My problem is that I don't and can't wear cocktail dresses because of my religious affiliation(I am muslim and most dresses are short/knee length).So my question is: Is it weird to wear trousers to pref?Also, if not a cocktail dress, do any of you have any suggestions for me?I would appreciate it greatly.

Thankyou
Disclaimer: This is just my personal say and I'm not in a sorority.
I would say just wear what you would for a formal event within your faith.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Disclaimer: This is just my personal say and I'm not in a sorority.
I would say just wear what you would for a formal event within your faith.
I agree that this is probably the best option.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
My problem is that I don't and can't wear cocktail dresses because of my religious affiliation(I am muslim and most dresses are short/knee length).So my question is: Is it weird to wear trousers to pref?
The answer will depend on the school. At some schools, a PNM in pants would stick out like a sore thumb. At others, it wouldn't be odd at all. It'll be hard to get an answer here.

As an aside: I'm not muslim, and I'm relatively unfamiliar with their beliefs, but I'm surprised that pants would be acceptable. I was under the impression that women weren't allowed to wear clothing that resembled a man's clothing (hence my confusion over pants being ok).
Old 08-05-2009, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to minDyG
Quote:
Hello GC!

Thankyou
Couldn't you wear one of the recently popular maxi-dresses? I know you probably couldn't do spaghetti straps or whatever, but maybe with a shawl/bolero it could work for you. (Just curious, because I've known various Muslims who all dressed differently: do you do the full head cover or do you follow a less stringent dress code?)
Old 08-05-2009, 04:40 PM

I assume you mean palazzo style pants, not khakis or trousers? It's hard to say - it would be very dependent on what you wear on top - a maxi dress with a cardigan over it might be a better bet. Then again, a lot of the maxi dresses are very undressy and gauzy and would stick out even more.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

if you were attending an evening reception hosted by your university's president and board of trustees, what would you wear?
Old 08-05-2009, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe you could go with a cute maxi dress and add some type of wrap top or shawl. You could always do super cute trousers with cute top, that's not that bad. I can only speak for my school though.

If a house isn't respectful of your religion than maybe they aren't the house for you.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for your replies, everyone.

Psi U MC Vito and perfectinpurple: For our formal events, we don't really wear "western" clothing(if I can even call it that). It would definitely look way too different, which would surely stand out.

SydneyK: I am trying to have my outfits ready before recruitment. I am sure that they would cover wardrobe in the Info night but recruitment is right after( a day or two away) from the first day of recriuitment. So I don't know how odd pants would look at Pref. As for your aside, I have heard of the argument against wearing clothing that resembles menswear. I know that, from my own understanding, that dressing is supposed to be modest and nothing that is too revealing. Pants are okay in the sense that your legs are covered and fit well(so the shape of the female's body is not too obvious). I guess within pants, it depends too, right.

minDyG: I like the maxi dresses. I am confused because I have considered them and even though some are quite nice, they don't seem formal enough. I don't wear a headscarf so I guess that I dress a little more liberally. Still no short skirts/dresses or sleeves.

33girl: I didn't even know what Palazzo pants were but they seem like a possibility(depending on the top that I pair with it).The flare at the bottom could be fun, heh. Definitely no khakis or jeans for sure.

Could straight leg or boot cut style formal pants work?

Thank you for all your replies, again. I know that Pref is not a sure bet but I hope to at least be ready and prepare for the best case scenario.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks for your replies, everyone.

Psi U MC Vito and perfectinpurple: For our formal events, we don't really wear "western" clothing(if I can even call it that). It would definitely look way too different, which would surely stand out.
My best friend and my pledgebrother are both Muslim as are a large percentage of my school. So I have a general idea of the kind of clothing you are talking about. But look at it this way, pref is the last thing before you hopefully get a bid. If you don't get offered a bid because you embrace your faith and your culture, is that organization really right for you? A large number of my brotehrs are military and wear uniforms for formal events, and they stand out. But the uniform is a symbol of something they hold deep in thier heart. Just my $.02
Old 08-05-2009, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I've seen modest longer black skirts in the after 5 section of many stores. Either that, or maybe the wide-leg chiffon pants that I've also seen a lot at benefits.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

FSUZeta: Probably something like formal pants and a blouse or another cute top. Maybe accessorize slightly for pref(?)

loveandAOE:I am still shopping around for the right maxi dress if possible, one that is dressy enough. I am also looking to pair a top and pants. I guess I need to look around a little bit more before I decide on something. Hopefully, I can find a sisterhood that is accepting of my beliefs

Psi U MC Vito:Thankyou!Hopefully, I can find a home that works for me too!

Sailboatgirl: Its funny that you mentioned those longer skirts. I have been thinking about looking into skirts, I just haven't found ones that are a good length and not bland. I don't know what you mean by the after 5 section. The Pants are what I am most used to wearing so might go for those.

Thankyou for all your replies and suggestions.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I would think something flowing, in a dressy fabric, with an appropriately dressy top, could work. There are certainly formal pants that would be appropriate for a semiformal evening wedding, which I consider about the same dressiness as pref.

For example: http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3033848/...bo=6018895&P=1

(I realize those pants are retardedly expensive, but the style seemed right.)

Last edited by Greekgrrl; 08-05-2009 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Added comment!
Old 08-05-2009, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I would go to the cocktail/evening section of a dept store (or online) and search for cocktail pants. A dressy pair of cocktail (sometimes categorized as "holiday") would work for this situation. There are also dressy, chiffon blouses that are paired with these pants. The look is definitely cocktail and dressy, yet fits in with your requirements. Any other type of pant, imo, is going to look too casual.
This outfit will also work for your sorority formal or any other type occasion where a cocktail dress is required, so it may be worth it to splurge and get a really good pair of pants.

Top: http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2994888/...bo=6005555&P=2

Pants: http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2911162?refsid=237331&refcat=0%7e2376776%7e2374327 %7e2374333%7e2374362&SourceID=1&SlotID=2&origin=co ordinating

Last edited by gee_ess; 08-05-2009 at 09:41 PM. Reason: added links for suggestions!
Old 08-05-2009, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

My disclaimer is that I'm not a girl so I don't really know what I'm talking about, but to me a lot of those longer skit dressy outfits remind me of things my grandmother would wear to a wedding. I think the wide pants are appropriately dressy while being a lot younger looking.