GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,452
1 members and 1,451 guests
Kevin

Old 05-15-2014, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Just saw the news on FB, and am whooping it up for my Sigma Kappa friends! YAY YOU GUYS!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradesTrue View Post
Congrats! Very excited for you and all other IU Sigma Kappas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Congrats to you and your chapter!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HQWest View Post
Congratulations!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low D Flat View Post
Mazel tov!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Havana View Post
YAY! Some of my APO chapter brothers were members of Sigma Kappa at IU. I'm glad the chapter is returning!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
You're getting your chapter back! Congratulations!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip86 View Post
This! Congrats IndianaSigKap, that must be wonderful!
And I hope this means even more women find their home in one of IU's sororities next year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Congrats to IndianaSigKap!

I forget if this was mentioned before, but did any of these groups present this time around? Or was it only Sigma Kappa?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Congratulations! I know how excited you are.
Thank you everyone! I em beyond excited, it has been a whirlwind the past day and half. I have been answering emails, tweeting, and trying to keep up with the texts, calls and fb messages. There are MANY happy alumnae right now. The support we have gotten is truly amazing. When young girls hear that you really do make friends in other chapters, they may be skeptical. But I show them it's true!

During our presentation, SK mentioned that we will be purchasing land and building as soon as possible. We will have a plan in place before the re-colonization occurs.

Above someone posted that the three new chapters must be doing well. Yes, they are! I have met women from all three chapters and they were lovely young women.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-15-2014, 10:46 PM

I don't think the recent colonizations are providing any impetus for bed rush to go away. It's more like "hey we are getting more groups and more women can join sororities so the problem is solved."
Old 05-15-2014, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
Thank you everyone! I em beyond excited, it has been a whirlwind the past day and half. I have been answering emails, tweeting, and trying to keep up with the texts, calls and fb messages. There are MANY happy alumnae right now. The support we have gotten is truly amazing. When young girls hear that you really do make friends in other chapters, they may be skeptical. But I show them it's true!

During our presentation, SK mentioned that we will be purchasing land and building as soon as possible. We will have a plan in place before the re-colonization occurs.

Above someone posted that the three new chapters must be doing well. Yes, they are! I have met women from all three chapters and they were lovely young women.
Interesting that SK seems to be the first group to recently recolonize AFAIK that has stated that they intend to have housing prior to colonization rather than eventually getting it afterwards. I seem to recall that your old house belongs to a fraternity now?
Old 05-15-2014, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I don't think the recent colonizations are providing any impetus for bed rush to go away. It's more like "hey we are getting more groups and more women can join sororities so the problem is solved."
Ok - yes, this is what I'm thinking, too. They're just delaying the inevitable. I think for the time being, it's "solving the problem," but everyone is in for a rude awakening. And in reality, they should have already been awoken. There's a huge problem that a lot of people are still attempting to ignore.

It will be interesting to see if the last 3 sororities will want to colonize.

@~/~~~~
Old 05-16-2014, 12:34 AM

I don't know if the house will be built prior to colonization but I'm not shocked that a plan is in place. I would have been floored if we'd planned to be an unhoused chapter.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Kappa in the Midwest at a school where they were once strong, no they're not going to go the non-traditional route. I think it's great that there are alternatives, but I wouldn't expect Sigma Kappa to be one of them. The one thing the success of the non-traditionally housed chapters there has done is make it not completely terrifying for those last 3 chapters to make the leap.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:13 AM

They aren't "alternatives." They're NPC sororities. Persisting in differentiating them just gives bed quota/focus on the house more credibility.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:16 AM

Per Alpha Phi's Facebook, we have been invited to colonize at the University of St. Francis in Joliet, Illinois in the Fall 2014!

We will be the 1st Greek organization on campus!

Congratulations sisters!
Old 05-16-2014, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

The chapters aren't alternative, the housing, or lack thereof is alternative. The vast majority of the chapters have houses; therefore the lack of housing makes it different. I'm sure it is a key part of the decision process among rushees so we shouldn't pretend they are the same. Not better or worse, but they are different. Housing is THE x-factor in rush at Indiana. Will a chapter allow live outs, how many, how big is the structure, is there a structure, those are the driving issues there. Clearly with their success and large numbers, it isn't the killer some people thought it would be and that's great. But it is alternative to the norm.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:34 AM

I give up. I'm out of bricks.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

DubaiSis,

Here's the thing though. It's okay for you to have that perspective, however multiple posters on this board, who are members of the 3 sororities that are currently unhoused at IU, have politely asked you to not publicly refer to them as alternatives. While in your mind an "alternative" can be a positive thing, many PNMs may perceive that term negatively. It doesn't matter if you mean well, or even if you are right, but instead that you show support for those three chapters and the members of the board who prefer that the term not be used.

Back on track... thrilled for Sigma Kappa to return, thrilled that all the new groups continue to flourish, but it doesn't change the fact that IU will still need to address the quota/bed rush issue sooner rather than later.

Last edited by ComradesTrue; 05-16-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Interesting that SK seems to be the first group to recently recolonize AFAIK that has stated that they intend to have housing prior to colonization rather than eventually getting it afterwards. I seem to recall that your old house belongs to a fraternity now?
Yes. Pi Kappa Phi now lives in the house. (Based on the comment about purchasing land to build, I am guessing that Sigma Kappa sold to them outright rather than leasing)
Old 05-16-2014, 12:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I give up. I'm out of bricks.
Right behind you!
Old 05-16-2014, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

You know what, I will say it bluntly because being nice doesn't seem to be penetrating minds...

Its straight up rude is what it is....if there is no land....how can the newest chapter obtain housing? If there were options for housing, don't you think the others would've looked into it?

You are making the other chapters look lesser or can't afford to do housing....

The edit button has become my new best friend

Last edited by ms_gwyn; 05-16-2014 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I was curious about the same thing.

I'm actually happy that Sigma Kappa has a house. Will be great for them!!

However, every other organization (the ones that chose to come and the ones who still have not) has been repeatedly told there are no options for housing.

So which is it?

Again, this is nothing against Sigma Kappa. I'm actually really happy they are coming back and think they will be amazingly successful!