GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,222
3 members and 1,219 guests
Cookiez17, Xidelt

Old 08-26-2012, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

University of Southern California Recruitment

Sorority recruitment began today at USC (University of So. Cal). I know that there are Trojan GC'ers--anyone have details? How many going thru recruitment? Usually I write several recs, but this year I do not have anyone going thru.

Hope we get some stories and or info about how the week is going. USC has one of the toughest recruitments on the west coast, in my opinion.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-26-2012, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

There are 1042 women participating in recruitment...bound to be a difficult week for those on both sides!
Old 08-26-2012, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

University of Southern California

The University of Southern California has a long standing Greek system. The first sorority, Alpha Chi Omega, was established there in 1895. Fraternities and sororities are located on 28th Street, traditionally called "The Row".

Recruitment Schedule:

Sunday--Conversation Day
Monday--Conversation Day
Women will visit ten chapters. Sigma Delta Tau will participate in this part of formal recruitment.

Tuesday--House Tours
Wednesday--House Tours
Women will visit up to 6 chapters by invitation

Thursday--Slideshow Day
Women will visit up to 4 chapters by invitation

Friday--Preference
Women will visit up to 2 chapters by invitation

Saturday--USC football game in Memorial Coliseum

Sunday--Bid Night

Presents--October 21, 2012

Last edited by Football Fan; 08-26-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I am wishing all the pnms all good thoughts for a wonderful week!

Fight on!!!!
Old 08-27-2012, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm also sending good thoughts to the pmn's and all of the actives as well
What do you all think about the day off between pref and bid night?
Old 08-27-2012, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Fight on. I would love to read a story from Southern Cal.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Pearly,

My guess is Panhellenic would have preferred to have it on Saturday, but there is a game at the Coliseum which is sold out. This year the first game is at home, so Bid Night will have to be on a Sunday. With only nine houses participating in the entire process at least recruitment did not have to be held for a longer period.

I am wondering if Panhellenic will have to add extra parties as has been done at some colleges this year due to the record breaking number of potential new members.

Presents will be held again on Parents' Weekend in October.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I understand why they scheduled the way they did...I think it opens the door for pnm's to be influenced on that game day especially during the tailgating. I know the pnm's will have done their final ranking and turned it in early on Saturday before any of the pre-gaming...
Old 08-27-2012, 03:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Girls will have signed their pref cards and have been matched to a house before the game. Neither the actives nor the (P)NMs will know who is in which house on game day.

The past two years, the first game of the season has been away and/or the second week of school. Having the Hawaii game be this Saturday caused some issues with scheduling that are not usually issues.

There have been no extra parties, though the turnout is a record high. Convo day parties have been about 47-53 girls I believe.

And I doubt this is a surprise to anyone, but 14 parties in 12 hours is not much fun!

(PNMs did seven parties today, either in the morning or afternoon/evening, and then will do the remaining three Monday evening, in two shifts again.)

It's been a whole other experience being on the sister side (I'm so much more appreciative of my experience now!) and I must say, based on those I've met, it's a great group of women going through formal.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for the update kaeb! Do you know if there are restictions for the pnm's regarding tailgates and fraternity parties for Saturday?
Old 08-27-2012, 05:39 AM
GreekChat Member

So, Pref is Friday night and Bid Day is not until Sunday night???
If I were a PNM, I think I'd develop an ulcer waiting that long ...
Hopefully Panhellenic will instill in the PNMs to be mindful & NOT medicate their nervousness by "over-serving" themselves on game day.

Good luck to all the houses & PNMs!
Old 08-27-2012, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

I believe the entire recruitment process is supposed to be dry, so I'm sure they're not allowed to drink on Saturday. I know actives are not allowed to drink within 24 hours of bid night (so no alcohol during or after the game). I think all other rules regarding communication with PNMs are still in effect, meaning we can't talk to them, and they can't talk to us.

I agree, ChioLu, I think for both the houses and the PNMs, the anticipation will be awful! I'm kind of glad I don't have to deal with it on the same level they do.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

This is my first going through recruitment as the mother of PNM. The way I understood it is that if you aren't dropped before Pref and you maximize your options, you will receive a bid. Is it possible to receive a bid from a house other than the two you attended Pref parties at?
Old 08-27-2012, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat58 View Post
This is my first going through recruitment as the mother of PNM. The way I understood it is that if you aren't dropped before Pref and you maximize your options, you will receive a bid. Is it possible to receive a bid from a house other than the two you attended Pref parties at?
You can not receive a bid from a chapter that you have not listed on your bid card.

Occasionally, a PNM will decide to list a chapter at which she did not attend pref, but this won't accomplish anything for the PNM unless a very long and strange sequence of events takes place, and such circumstances are so rare that I can safely say no, you cannot receive a bid from a chapter at which you did not attend pref.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

So would not most PNMs be delighted with the bid they receive?