GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,257
1 members and 2,256 guests
Sciencewoman

Old 09-08-2011, 07:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerOwl View Post
^^^
Recs are common---and many of the 18 chapters have to have one on file before a bid is given.....
Y'know how people here get somewhat irritated by the rule that PHC isn't allowed to tell women that recs are mandatory and it's the sorority's responsibility to get them if they need them? I think UofI is actually safe telling PNMs that. They obviously can't hurt, but those who need them will find them for wanted PNMs. Heck, this is probably on of those rushes where groups that require recs have an alumna that makes rec-writing her temporary full-time job (with overtime).
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-08-2011, 10:07 AM

I L L
Old 09-08-2011, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, I hope my daughter will do okay with just the handful of recs she does have going in. I actually went to the the U of I back in the early 80s, went through rush, pledged, but never initiated due to a number of factors, finances being the big one. I didn't have any recs, and I had a very good rush experience. I know Greek life was pretty big back then, but I don't remember it being "competitive" to get into a house. It could be that we didn't have internet back then, so there was very little knowledge or communication about anything like there is now. This was over 30 years ago, but I sort of remember only being able to put down one chapter for my preference, and I know I struggled to choose between two houses. Again, this was a long time ago, but for some reason I am thinking that if you didn't get the one chapter you put down, you didn't get a bid. Anyway, I saw some recruitment statistics that I will try to find and post.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Well good luck to your daughter! I am excited to hear the outcome.

(I'm also excited for U of I recruitment because I will be down there for 2nd & 3rd invite helping out my chapter!! )
Old 09-08-2011, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara Mom View Post
Well, I hope my daughter will do okay with just the handful of recs she does have going in. I actually went to the the U of I back in the early 80s, went through rush, pledged, but never initiated due to a number of factors, finances being the big one. I didn't have any recs, and I had a very good rush experience. I know Greek life was pretty big back then, but I don't remember it being "competitive" to get into a house. It could be that we didn't have internet back then, so there was very little knowledge or communication about anything like there is now. This was over 30 years ago, but I sort of remember only being able to put down one chapter for my preference, and I know I struggled to choose between two houses. Again, this was a long time ago, but for some reason I am thinking that if you didn't get the one chapter you put down, you didn't get a bid. Anyway, I saw some recruitment statistics that I will try to find and post.
The stats show almost nobody getting dropped entirely, and almost all chapters around the same size. It's not that there won't be heavy cuts, but with so many chapters, I think that girls don't all latch on to a single favorite. Heck, it's hard for most girls to even remember that many chapters the first day.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Panhellenic Recruitment Statistics at UIUC

Link to stats 2005-2010:

http://www.odos.uiuc.edu/greek/membe...lenicStats.asp

I am going to guess, based on number of girls released from all chapters during recruitment, that RFM was implemented in 2008, when the total number released went down drastically.

I'm also going to guess that the number of girls not receiving any bids after the third invitational were ISPs.

It looks like if the PNM keeps an open mind and doesn't favor early on, she will find the chapter that loves her enough to want her to be part of their sisterhood. Which I think bodes well for all the PNMs going through recruitment.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

OK, how do we demand all campuses provide these statistics? Fascinating!
Old 09-08-2011, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It looks like if the PNM keeps an open mind and doesn't favor early on, she will find the chapter that loves her enough to want her to be part of their sisterhood. Which I think bodes well for all the PNMs going through recruitment.
Like!
Old 09-08-2011, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, women not receiving bids are those who do not list all prefs they attended on their bid cards; otherwise, they'd be placed as quota additions.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

^DeltaBetaBaby - what do you mean by "quota additions"?
Old 09-08-2011, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

You might want to do some searching on that, but I'll see if I can give you a brief primer. When they get to bid matching after preference, the chapters have a list and the rushees have their lists. When they reach quota after matching up lists there are usuallly extras. They will continue placing the girls who have maximized their options so that no one goes without a chapter - if she put the maximum number on her bid form at the end. Neither the chapters nor the rushees know who the quota additions are.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
^DeltaBetaBaby - what do you mean by "quota additions"?
A quota addition is a woman not matched by the computer, who the Greek Life Advisor adds to one of the chapters on her bid card anyway. She would receive a bid on bid day just like everyone else, and nobody would ever know it happened, except the GLA and maybe some of that chapter's alumnae advisors.

To be eligible, however, a woman has to attend every party that appears on her schedule, and list all three chapters at which she attended preference on her bid card that she signs at the end. Basically, if you play by the rules, you have a very good chance of getting a bid.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Here's the official definition of Quota Addition

Quota Additions occur immediately following bid matching. The unmatched
potential new members (PNMs) are matched to chapters that have already
filled Quota, and the PNM must be listed on the chapter's preference list.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

^That is excellent news! I'm afraid to ask my daughter too many questions about the recruitment process, since I am way more wound up about this than she is. It would just break my heart if she were to go through the entire process and end up bidless. And the funny/ironic thing is that she is a beautiful, accomplished and poised young woman, much more so than I was when I was her age. She seems to have a very laid back attitude about recruitment.

She did share with me the rumour she had heard about the house I had pledged: "Mom, apparently they aren't allowed to come downstairs without make-up." She especially got a kick out of that, since I hardly ever wear make-up these days!
Old 09-08-2011, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
^That is excellent news! I'm afraid to ask my daughter too many questions about the recruitment process, since I am way more wound up about this than she is. It would just break my heart if she were to go through the entire process and end up bidless. And the funny/ironic thing is that she is a beautiful, accomplished and poised young woman, much more so than I was when I was her age. She seems to have a very laid back attitude about recruitment.

She did share with me the rumour she had heard about the house I had pledged: "Mom, apparently they aren't allowed to come downstairs without make-up." She especially got a kick out of that, since I hardly ever wear make-up these days!
Oh campus rumors I particularly love that one. I wonder how that would be enforced? Is there someone on duty 24/7 to make sure you don't come downstairs makeup-less?