GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,535
1 members and 1,534 guests
MethrenLusia

Old 04-15-2000, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry heather yes, that would be the RD's "job" and then if there are discrepancies she would then relay that info back to us then we would go from there.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-17-2000, 11:41 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Missy:
33Girl is right about the Professional Fraternity Assoication. However, on some campuses GSS dos belong to the collegiate Panhellenic council. These are usually schools with few NPC sororities.
I am also a member of APO and I have NEVER understood how they or GSS get away with this. Especially since they do not “rush” in the normal sense – i.e., anyone that wants to join, can. Here are what the national bylaws of both organizations said:
 Alpha Phi Omega shall not seek nor accept membership in any association solely of social fraternities, except on approval of the national Board of directors.
 Gamma Sigma Sigma – No chapter shall be affiliated with any organization that requires selectivity in membership policies (i.e. the National Panhellenic Conference)
Yes I pledged in A-Phi-O and yes there are social aspects, but its and GSS’s aim should be SERVICE FIRST. Anyone who tries to turn those organizations into “social” organizations is doing a great disservice to the founders’ original purposes.
Old 04-17-2000, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
Depending on where you are in terms of colonization or chapter incorporation, and what your sorority's governing documents state, your may or may not be able to come back. That would be the first thing to check, if it at all possible. I think the next thing would be to check out the circumstances, one on one, and then include the entire group in on the details as appropriate. Sometimes some highly personal things happen, which make people walk away....I saw this happen more than once during our colonization. Some did come back, in different ways, others did not. It largely depends on their situation, and the setup of the sorority.

Hope that helps!
Old 04-18-2000, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Question

This is really interesting. I have a friend who was involved in the colonization of our chapter, but she moved away. She never told anyone about her move, she just stopped attending (obviously). She asked me the other night how to go about "coming back" into the sorority. Was she ever out of it? I don't know what to tell her, and not sure if the other sisters are going to be so welcoming.
Old 04-21-2000, 02:21 PM
akafromgu

first of all there is a lot of misinformation going around. If you are a member or interested in pledging an organization that is in the NPHC you can not be a member of another "social" org. Yes I realize that others particularly Delta is a "public service sorority", however, the service is in conjunction with the socialization. So you can belong to APO or GSS or a professional/honor/service only org. but you will be challenged if you belonged to a social org and try to pledge another. That is why RESEARCH is so important because once you are in you are in. And to Fred, if you are truly a Christian then whom shall you judge. Also being Christian is about respect for other people. Just because you didnot feel that you could praise God and be an Omega does not mean that you shoul disrespect what others do. Who are you? Are you God? Let them do what they do and if you believe than YOUR reward will be great. I have found that the best way to win souls is with respect not with disdain.

In God's name we need to learn to respect one another what ever the choice.
Old 04-25-2000, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

So what is the verdict? Is it possible or not?
Old 04-25-2000, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally posted by Jae:
So what is the verdict? Is it possible or not?
The verdict is:

You cannot join an NPHC group if you have already joined and initiated into an NPC group.

------------------
Fraternally,
Barbara
Zeta Tau Alpha Alumna

If you have to go around telling everyone you're in charge you're not much of a leader.

[This message has been edited by PnguinTrax (edited April 25, 2000).]
Old 04-27-2000, 06:34 PM
XYZ

Smile

and actually, if your org is not incorporated...say there is only one chapter in the whole country and its at your school. you may still join an nphc org. this was told to me by a woman of a nphc org.
Old 04-27-2000, 06:36 PM
XYZ

BUT!!, it cannot be under any of the governing bodies.....NPHC, NPC, IFC, etc etc. sorry forgot to add that in my last post.
Old 04-27-2000, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry

Not even at the graduate level? This may sound like a stupid question, but I made a hasty, unthoughtout decision to join this fraternity who gave me a bid, and now I regret it. I was raised thinking I was going to be a Kappa Alpha Psi, and planned on pledging my sophomore year. In the meantime, a bunch of my friends joined a "white" fraternity and they were really cool guys, so I joined. I have only seen two Kappas on the entire campus so even though I had always wanted to be one, it became kind of an "out of sight, out of mind thing". Now its as if there is no way out. I'm deactivating.
Old 04-27-2000, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Not even at the graduate level?
Not if the organization you joined is governed by the IFC.

I am sure the members of that frat could tell you a DEFINITE, but I am sure that you can't.
Old 04-27-2000, 11:07 PM
Artimis

Jae,

Making a hasty desision is never an acceptable reason to "change" brotherhoods - if we could. I think almost everyone here would agree that making the desision to pledge one house over another is a desision you will have to live with. Fraternity life is for life! And it should be a desision given much though.

Each fraternity/sorority has thier own unique aspect. And each offers many outlets for you to have an effect on the organization and the quality of brother/sisterhood. If you are comparing your brotherhood with something you can't have, you'll always come up short in your expectations of your fraternity. Instead focusing your energies on making your brotherhood better can make a difference. Explore why you choose to join, and what you want out of a fraternity. Can you bring that to your fraternity?

I wish you the best of luck,

Artimis

Old 05-01-2000, 11:13 PM
Jessie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Ms.CrimsonCream:
Not if the organization you joined is governed by the IFC.

I am sure the members of that frat could tell you a DEFINITE, but I am sure that you can't.
I know someone FOR A FACT who was IFC, fully initiated, was a active member for a couple of years, dropped (deactivated) through his national, and was initiated by a NPHC fraternity.

Now, as I understand it, there was after a period of time, some racism going on in this particular IFC fraternity and their national did nothing about it. The NPHC he affiliated with understood his point of view and gave him a 'second chance' so to speak. This guy is a full member of his NPHC and has since graduated from college and become a more active member in his fraternity. Now I dont know if his national office or the offical people of his NPHC know his previous status but apparently his new brothers were his real brothers. Just an observation.
Old 05-03-2000, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Actually...I have never seen anything in the NPHC by-laws that forbid a former member of an NPC (or IFC) group from joining an NPHC organziation. There ARE rules barring NPHC members from joining another NPHC organization, but that is not the same thing. I recall a guy in college who was initially a member of an IFC, depledge (or whatever is the correct term) and join an NPHC org. while still in school.

So if someone truly feels they made an error in joining an NPC or IFC org and would like to join an NPHC org., I would investigate before throwing in the towel. As a caveat: although I don't think this is strictly forbidden, it is probably frowned upon on individual campuses, and a former IFC/NPC member may have a challenge being accepted into their NPHC org. of choice.

[This message has been edited by Shelacious (edited May 03, 2000).]
Old 05-21-2000, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

i wonder if any one out there has done this?