GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,607
0 members and 1,607 guests
No Members online

Old 05-30-2012, 10:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
In other words, there may be chapters of AEPhi and SDT with nary a Jewish woman in them.
Yup. There are also chapters of sororities founded by Christians that have almost exclusively Jewish membership. Different schools. Different demographics. One can't make assumptions based on national histories nor the local chapters they are familiar with.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveMaroon View Post
Back about 20 years ago, as rushers during house tour (3rd round), we were told we had to say "We were founded by five Christian women at Colby College in 1874" at some point - just to let people know...

The same "full disclosure" happened at both the two Jewish houses and the two Christian houses I visited as a rushee.

I was raised in a mixed religion household, so either way, I was good to go, but I can see where with some girls it would have been a BIG FREAKING DEAL.

But that was a long time ago - wonder if they still do that?

I am a legacy to Sigma Kappa through my stepsister (2 years older and was at a different school) and I didn't know much about greek life. My stepsister is Jewish and only one other person from my high school who happened to be from my synagogue went to UMass and happened to be in Sigma Kappa. We happened to have AEPhi and SDT on campus. Imagine my surprise during initiation when I found out that not only was my sorority founded on Christian principles, but that there were 2 traditionally Jewish houses on campus though our chapter had a good percentage of Jewish sisters....

I think it would have been nice of someone to mention along the way, not that it would have changed my mind or that I would have known better. I was a COB so it wouldn't have mattered....

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 05-30-2012, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Okay, but to be clear, these disclosures of information (we're predominantly Jewish, we're founded on Christian principles, etc.), are very different from religion as a real topic of conversation. Further, they should be happening at later invitational rounds, and I know at least one chapter that does the "Jewish disclosure" has a pretty tight script and the rusher is well-trained in what to say and how to handle the conversation so as to prevent, as much as she possibly can, the PNM from feeling uncomfortable.

It's like the difference between the a rusher saying "Our dues are XXX per semester" and a rusher saying "So, do you come from money?".

On the flip side, if a PNM is concerned about how a chapter will react to her religion, it is really quite simple to somehow subtly bring it up in such a manner that the info is out there, and the chapter can decide if they wish to release her. There isn't a single NPC group that doesn't have a significant number of Jewish members, but if a local chapter was really all about bible study and didn't think a Jewish woman would fit in, they can obviously pick up on "I'm going home for Rosh Hashanah next weekend".

So, I think some of these conversations can be totally necessary and appropriate, but it still doesn't mean we should throw out the "Don't talk about religion" rule.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl2000 View Post
Imagine my surprise during initiation when I found out that not only was my sorority founded on Christian principles
Christian principles =/= believing that Jesus Christ is the Messiah.

Unless, of course, your ritual said "We as Sigma Kappas think JC's Messiah status is super turbo awesome."
Old 05-30-2012, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I wish our ritual had the phrase "super turbo awesome." As in, I promise to be.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_or_Geek? View Post
Yup. There are also chapters of sororities founded by Christians that have almost exclusively Jewish membership. Different schools. Different demographics. One can't make assumptions based on national histories nor the local chapters they are familiar with.
I would think the national office wants to keep them at a certain % if it is part of their mission statement like it is for us. A Jewish organization with less than 50% Jewish really isn't maintaining who they are, fraternity or sorority.

That's my opinion at least when it comes to that.

Last edited by jazing; 05-31-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazing View Post
I would think the national office wants to keep them at a certain % if it is part of their mission statement like it is for us. A Jewish organization with less than 50% Jewish really isn't maintaining who they are, fraternity or sorority.

You've been told this many times but never seem to really get it:

Sorority recruitment and membership selection =/= Fraternity recruitment and membership selection
Old 05-31-2012, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

It basically boils down to: we were formed based on these principles. We are now all inclusive. Yes, historically we are based off of (fill in religion), however a qualified pnm does not have to be of said religion to join. It is only said religion in founding and is not a religious organization. Welcome to NPC sororities. We are based on principles, but are not necessarily (perhaps some chapters are) exclusive.

Does someone have to be Jewish to follow Jewish principles. KD was based on Christian principles and I can guarantee you that about half (probably more) of the members in my chapter were not Christian. Does this mean they didn't follow the Christian principles listed by the chapter in our ritual? No.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 05-31-2012, 08:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:

They don't care what you think of their membership selection.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:

You guys identify yourself as "a Jewish organization." I have yet to see AEPhi or SDT do so.

LOL at the bolded. The only fraternity man who could possibly offer this sort of opinion about a sorority is a Phi Beta Sigma re Zeta Phi Beta. And I'm betting even that would be pushing it.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

I see I overstepped my bounds. Sorry to get in the way.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
Right, that's what I was getting at. The let's-talk-religion poster may be a troll, but I'm guessing that there really are exceptional schools where everybody talks about Bible study at rush and it's fine.
It might not be something that comes out first round except in the context of "I was a youth leader for Young Life" or "I volunteer at the after school program at my church" but it does come up. There are several chapters in my area that have Bible study groups.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

Many interesting points here for the 2012 rush crew.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:03 AM
GreekChat Member

I was looking at the Chapters' Websites and immediately became intimidated. The ladies in every photo seemed to be so gorgeous and polished and.....and they all seemed so individual....but cohesive as a whole at the same time.

I've been told by many people, even strangers, that I am stunningly beautiful....when I want to be. When I mentioned to my Mom that I had registered for recruitment, she immediately said "You won't even get a bid. You're too old and not pretty enough to be in a Sorority."

Boy, that hurt. I mean....really hurt. People talking behind your back is one thing....and I can take it. Yet, for my Mom to say that....it was like a knife.

So, the question that came from that vent is: How do I compliment the Sisters in the houses without sounding
A: Like a fakey-McFakerson
B: Like a kiss-ass ?

I am reading of the accomplishments of each chapter, and I'm just in awe. Completely in awe.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:32 AM
GreekChat Member

bump