GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,196
2 members and 2,194 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 09-08-2022, 02:10 PM

Queen Elizabeth

Queen Elizabeth, the longest ruling British monarch, has passed.

Born in 1926, she became Queen upon her father's death in 1952.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-08-2022, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

This has really gotten to me. She has been Queen my whole life.

One of the other teachers asked if I thought it hit me harder since my recent ancestral discoveries, but I don't know.
Old 09-08-2022, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

I admit to having a rough time with this. Just last week, I told my husband that when Her Majesty passed, that I would be mourning deeply. I am NOT a crier, but have been teary eyed all day. We have prayer group tonight, and I really hope that I can drive there...

Most of the World cannot remember any other Sovereign of the United Kingdom. I cannot imagine the load that has dropped firmly on King Charles' shoulders.

God Bless the Queen!
God Save the King1
Old 09-08-2022, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post

One of the other teachers asked if I thought it hit me harder since my recent ancestral discoveries, but I don't know.
I think of the ways it's hitting me so hard is that my mother & I shared a love from the British Monarchy. In a smaller way, it's like I just lost my mother again.
Old 09-08-2022, 07:07 PM

In 1973, Sigma Chi held its Grand Chapter in Toronto. Queen Elizabeth was staying at the same hotel while making a visit to the country.

At one point she was walking through the lobby that was also crowded with Sigs. The fraternity brothers spontaneously broke out with the “Sweetheart of Sigma Chi” song. The Queen stopped, listened, and acknowledged them.

I’m sure she didn’t fully understand their actions at the time, but I hoped an advisor explained its sentiment to her later.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 09-08-2022, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
In 1973, Sigma Chi held its Grand Chapter in Toronto. Queen Elizabeth was staying at the same hotel while making a visit to the country.

At one point she was walking through the lobby that was also crowded with Sigs. The fraternity brothers spontaneously broke out with the “Sweetheart of Sigma Chi” song. The Queen stopped, listened, and acknowledged them.

I’m sure she didn’t fully understand their actions at the time, but I hoped an advisor explained its sentiment to her later.
I love this!
Old 09-09-2022, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip were leaving the National Cathedral in Washington DC. They nodded and Prince Philip said "Good morning." It was quite a thrill. Later that summer I saw Queen Elizabeth again at the Montreal Olympics. That time she was a small dot in the distance.
King Charles lll and Queen Consort Camilla had a five minute conversation with my mother about Lady Mountbatten having tea with the Americans and World War ll at the Armed Forces Retirement Home in Washington DC.
Princess Anne was very personable when I met her at an event celebrating the British Equestrian Team training in Tallahassee, Florida.
I don't know if I could always be so relatable if I'd been born to their circumstances.
Old 09-09-2022, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
I think of the ways it's hitting me so hard is that my mother & I shared a love from the British Monarchy. In a smaller way, it's like I just lost my mother again.
Oh Honey <hugs>! I too am sad about this news. I'm not necessarily a Monarchist, however I do love the history of the British Crown. We are watching history unfold before our eyes.

Having said that, King Charles III is going to take some time to get used to.
Old 09-09-2022, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post

LOVE this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOIIalum View Post
Oh Honey <hugs>! I too am sad about this news. I'm not necessarily a Monarchist, however I do love the history of the British Crown. We are watching history unfold before our eyes.

Having said that, King Charles III is going to take some time to get used to.
Thank you so very much! After 70 years, we will ALL have to get used to King Charles III!
Old 09-09-2022, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

My wife and I are very sad also. I saw Queen Elizabeth as a dignified and wise ruler, one who never lost her love for her subjects or humanity in general, the last British Monarch who rose above reproach—no scandal, no nasty articles; the press—even most of the tabloids—left HER alone.

Sadly, I think all that’s over. Now the floodgates will open and it’ll be hunting season on the Royal Family. Harry and Meghan are already ripped daily, and there are snarky pieces about Charles and Camilla’s affair when both were married. Andrew’s underage girl scandal speaks for itself. Only William and Kate’s family seem to be media darlings right now…but will that last?

I HATE THIS SO MUCH. Honor the Queen’s legacy and let them all be!!
Old 09-09-2022, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

While I'm not much into any monarchies in general, there was something about QE2 that I found endearing, along with Princess Diana. Not sure if anyone was watching the Today show where they showed the cute clip of the Queen with Paddington Bear, it was the first time I saw it, but it was just adorable. I found this that also showed some lovely humorous moments the Queen had during her reign. #5 was my second favorite.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-62849166

Last edited by andthen; 09-09-2022 at 02:31 PM. Reason: my mind is faster than my fingers
Old 09-09-2022, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

Don't care much or follow the royals. That said, I think all of us just learned which of our apps have notifications enabled. Everything from CNN to ESPN had to notify me of the death of a foreign monarch. I'm pretty sure the Microsoft Office paperclip dude had something to say about it.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 09-09-2022, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthen View Post
While I'm not much into any monarchies in general, there was something about QE2 that I found endearing, along with Princess Diana. Not sure if anyone was watching the Today show where they showed the cute clip of the Queen with Paddington Bear, it was the first time I saw it, but it was just adorable. I found this that also showed some lovely humorous moments the Queen had during her reign. #5 was my second favorite.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-62849166
Thank you - I greatly enjoyed it! It's so good to see Prince Harry laugh - he's been so terribly dour lately.

As much as I love Paddington and James Bond, my favorites were 5 & 6. Her Majesty had a great sense of humor!
Old 09-09-2022, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I saw this article yesterday, and while this makes perfect sense, it didn't really click until I read the headline.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...ld-population/

Quote:
Queen Elizabeth II’s death Thursday afternoon brings an end to one of the longest leadership tenures in world history. For parts of eight decades, Elizabeth served as monarch of Britain, with more than 70 years passing between her ascension to the throne in 1952 and her death.

The scope of her tenure can be encapsulated quite simply. Until Thursday, at least 9 out of every 10 living human beings have never known a British monarch other than Elizabeth.

@~/~~~~
Old 09-11-2022, 07:29 AM
GreekChat Member

I was born in 1946. My first grade went to our teacher's house to watch ERII's coronation on TV