GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,484
0 members and 1,484 guests
No Members online

Old 09-04-2014, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

The reason NPC was formed was to formulate an organized recruiting season. It was a free for all in the very old days (pre 1900s) - giving bids to high schoolers who hadn't yet arrived on campus, hot-boxing (badgering is more like), etc. Because there were no rules, it could get very obnoxious.

One thing that I have wanted to mention on one of the threads is the way that PNM opinions of the groups can be shaped by what the fraternity men say. If the men can understand that the more women who are placed in the system will indirectly benefit the men's groups, I think the situation would improve. Instead of telling women that they should pref onlu xyz or abc, they need to be encouraging them to join the chapter where they feel the most at home. We all know that the experiences these PNMs will get are basically the same. The men often do not realize that they are also indirectly harmed by the woman who drops out of recruitment. The stronger we all are, the better for all of us. I do not think the men do it maliciously, I just think they haven't thought it through.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-04-2014, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynter View Post
How can anyone really know someone else after a single, timed conversation?

This has always bothered me...the rushed-edness of rush.
Precisely the reason I refuse to bow to new terminology. It is rush. It is rushed. Rushed decisions can sometimes be good, but in general, not when made by those who are not intimately familiar with all the factors involved.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Most of the places that do deferred rush are smaller schools, where it is easier for the school to have programming that facilitates freshman getting to know one another and getting acclimated to college life. At large universities, joining a sorority is the most efficient way to accomplish this.

Auburn did a study recently on the pros and cons of deferred recruitment. They summarized the NPC policy:

Quote:
Sororities want to work with every university where there are chapters to provide opportunities that will enrich the lives of our women students through beneficial programming. We believe pledging a sorority at the earliest possible time gives collegiate women a sense of belonging, encouragement, and necessary guidance that will help ensure a successful and positive collegiate experience. Therefore, we do not support deferred or delayed recruitment.
Study found at this link: https://cws.auburn.edu/studentaffair..._Report_II.pdf
Old 09-04-2014, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyapbp View Post
The reason NPC was formed was to formulate an organized recruiting season. It was a free for all in the very old days (pre 1900s) - giving bids to high schoolers who hadn't yet arrived on campus, hot-boxing (badgering is more like), etc. Because there were no rules, it could get very obnoxious.
I remember reading a really old article from the archives about how the Philomatheans would run to the train station and try to talk to the most desirable new freshmen women before the Adelphians got to them.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I remember reading a really old article from the archives about how the Philomatheans would run to the train station and try to talk to the most desirable new freshmen women before the Adelphians got to them.
Exactly, and there are those who say that the rush to the train station to meet the new students is how the term "rush" was coined.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyapbp View Post
Exactly, and there are those who say that the rush to the train station to meet the new students is how the term "rush" was coined.
That's exactly what used to happen between Theta and Gamma Phi Beta when they were the first sororities on campus at the University of Michigan in the 1880s. I have a copy of the chapter's 50th anniversary history booklet, and it talks about the Gamma Phis spiriting the desirable freshmen away in buggies to Ypsilanti for a full day, so that the Gamma Phis could form bonds with them before the Thetas.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
That's exactly what used to happen between Theta and Gamma Phi Beta when they were the first sororities on campus at the University of Michigan in the 1880s. I have a copy of the chapter's 50th anniversary history booklet, and it talks about the Gamma Phis spiriting the desirable freshmen away in buggies to Ypsilanti for a full day, so that the Gamma Phis could form bonds with them before the Thetas.
Wow. I hope that's not the plan for recolonization! If someone spirited me away to Ypsi, I would definitely join another sorority!

Kidding. That's actually really cool to know. Thanks for sharing! And best of luck to you guys with recruitment. I can't wait to see how it turns out. Go Blue!