GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,988
1 members and 1,987 guests
TLLK

Old 11-13-2003, 11:21 AM

Recolonizing - how soon is too soon?

There was a good discussion going on about this in another thread but it got too org-specific.

If a group needs to recolonize, how long should they wait?

NPC has a rule that if you recolonize within a year your spot on Panhel can be held for you. Is it worth it, or should you "take a breather" and let the dust settle (and risk never getting back on campus) before you do so?
Old 11-13-2003, 11:30 AM

I think it depends on the climate of the greek system. Is the greek system at the school supportive or more competitive? At Southern schools, groups tend to wait a while to recolonize. Reputation is a big thing and it's not something that can be fixed after a year. People still remember and may not want to join because of the old stereotypes the group had.
There are some schools where the greek systems are incredibly supportive. At these schools, recolonization tends to work out very well.
Each group needs to take into account the way they think their greek system will react to the recolonization before they do.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:14 PM

Seems like a year is the minimum.

Two years seems to me to be an often used number if the chapter has shut down for lack of numbers, money, grades, etc.

If the chapter lost it's charter due to rule violations, some GLO's seem to want to wait four years, so there is a better than average chance that all or most of the problem members have graduated and/or moved on.

All of the above is based on my impressions from experience and from reading about recolonizations on GC and on our Delt Webpage.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 12-24-2003, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
OK, let me ask you all a question...it's sort of related to this, so that's why I didn't make a new thread. Say there are two chapters that recolonize on the same campus, but about 2-3 years apart. Both chapters wait the same amount of time between closing and re-opening, let's say about a year. One chapter succeeds, but the other fails. Why? Discuss.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:32 PM

I recall this happening twice at Pitt; once while I was still in school and once immediately after I graduated.

Both sororities, Kappa Alpha Theta and Sigma Sigma Sigma were very small (I think they each had 10 or so girls) and not very well regarded on campus. I don't know specifics, per se, but I do know that it was less than a year from the time both of their HQs "cleaned house" to the new members being given bids.

Theta was fabulously successful right from the get-go. I don't know where they found 55 fantastic girls that hadn't been scooped up by the other sororities, but they sure did. They've since left Pitt, but that had nothing to do with lack of numbers as far as I know.

Sigma Sigma Sigma was also very successful and they remain that way today. If we're going by the dreaded tier system, I'd put them at the lower top tier or very top middle tier. Students at Pitt now are surprised to hear that they ever struggled. I have a huge amount of respect for Tri Sigma's Nationals for not just giving up on the Pitt chapter. I think many other sororities would have just given up and yanked the charter.

I think the time thing all depends on how much time, money and personnel National is willing to devote to the recolonization.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBaby80
OK, let me ask you all a question...it's sort of related to this, so that's why I didn't make a new thread. Say there are two chapters that recolonize on the same campus, but about 2-3 years apart. Both chapters wait the same amount of time between closing and re-opening, let's say about a year. One chapter succeeds, but the other fails. Why? Discuss.
I know what you are asking here and the groups you are referring to. The group that suceeded suceeded most likely because that group has lots of alumnae support in the area, not just from that school, but there are other chapters of that group within the state and surrounding areas. Because of that people know of that group and their reputations on other campuses thus helping them out. The other chapters of this group that are close by also were able to come and help recruit girls during rush (so i was told).

The other group may have some alumnae support, but not enough local alumnae support being that that is the only chapter of that group in the state and in surrounding areas. Because of this, people do not know much about this group and dont really have much to go on except what they hear (sad but true) and what they can get from the group's national website, which isnt always enough especially at a big school. I dont know if they brought in outside chapters from where ever to help recruit girls for rush or not.

That's my theory anyway. Alumnae support and involvement play a large role in the survival and well being of a chapter, ESPECIALLY when the chapter is new, or "new."
Old 12-24-2003, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Quote:
Originally posted by ThetaPrincess24
I know what you are asking here and the groups you are referring to.
I wasn't really referring to any specific campus or groups...it happened at UK, yes, but I've heard of lots of instances of this happening at other schools, too, which made me wonder why it's so common.

But I think you're right, alumnae support does play a big role, I think. If you don't have anyone helping behind the scenes to sort of "guide" a new chapter, it's tough.
Old 12-26-2003, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KillarneyRose
They've since left Pitt, but that had nothing to do with lack of numbers as far as I know.
actually, from what I heard thru alum Panhel, that was the reason.
Old 12-26-2003, 11:43 PM

Sheila, I PM'd you
Old 12-27-2003, 12:10 AM
GreekChat Member

In all honesty, if the reputation is poor, I really think you need to give it 4 years. Only because by then the university will have "flushed" most people out of it's system who were around when the former chapter was, and the majority of people won't have any impression of XYZ, therefore giving them as fresh a start as they can.
Old 12-27-2003, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

It all depends on the location of the College/Univ. Here in the South, (and by South I mean: TN, AL, SC, GA, MS, NC, TX, LA...) I think you should definitely wait longer. And, it also depends on the school and Greek climate in each state.
Old 12-31-2003, 01:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Recolonizing - how soon is too soon?

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
NPC has a rule that if you recolonize within a year your spot on Panhel can be held for you.
And here is Reason #578 why Panhellenic always annoyed the living crap out of me. Dumb dumb dumb rule. Forces chapters to choose between losing the right to ever be on that campus again or desperately scrambling to reestablish themselves with little time and the high possibility of clashes with former members.

...I think I'm going to keep myself and my opinions out of this thread except to say that I don't think sororities should EVER recolonize within the 1st two years after they close a chapter. Never, ever, ever. I have NEVER seen it done where it wasn't disrespectful, if not downright cruel, to the former members.
Old 12-31-2003, 01:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Recolonizing - how soon is too soon?

Quote:
Originally posted by G8Ralphaxi
I have NEVER seen it done where it wasn't disrespectful, if not downright cruel, to the former members.

What are the rules in regards to Alumnae becoming active again?
Old 12-31-2003, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

The "cleaning house" thing seems really odd in my opinion. If it happens in that year time, I'm sorry, it's going to be "same shit, different year." Their rep on campus has already taken a beating and how many would be willing to forgive and forget despite taking out the troublemakers/"undesirables" and bringing in better members? I would personally be very cautious in joining an org like this.

I think it should be a good four/five years. Let the campus climate change, let those who were affliated graduate, as well as those who were familiar with the house while it was in operation.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: Recolonizing - how soon is too soon?

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaFrog
What are the rules in regards to Alumnae becoming active again?
I think it depends on the sorority and on the individual alums. We haven't tried a "old members are still there" type recolonization since like 1997, and unless it's a situation where the "old" members voluntarily leave and everything is happy & shiny, I personally doubt we will ever do it again, no matter how big the school.

The thing is if you're at a HUGE school (like UF) where a lot of people want to be, if you don't take advantage of the year thing more than likely you will lose your spot - sorta like musical chairs - and probably for good.