GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,351
3 members and 1,348 guests
naraht, PGD-GRAD, TLLK

Old 05-20-2008, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EE-BO View Post
I think how this all played out could be seen as brutal, but I do not think it affected certain options.

When he first started posting here, a few UT people- including me- PMed him and offered to answer questions etc. Those offers were largely ignored but the questions kept coming- and all of a sudden he became an "expert" on UT Greek Life in a few posts.

If he was truly top tier material and destined to go to a top tier house, as a senior in high school he would have already known about the top houses (plus they would have known about him) and probably even had a good idea where he might end up. The top tier houses fill their pledge classes every year with people who come to UT already knowing what they need to know- so they have no need to seek out candidates who are new to all this. And so it is just naturally harder for someone who starts late in the game- even if they might actually be suited for a top tier chapter.

In the long run, this little internet episode did not really change anything for top tier options- it just made for some interesting reading. However it most certainly damaged his chances with many mid tier houses.

That is a shame, but he kind of brought it on himself. There were several people here, including some really good top tier contacts, who were willing to help him out early on- and he was given many chances.
He speaks truth.

Although, the lower tiers even if they are hurting for numbers may be scared to take him (if they read FH, which I think they do) for fear of further social outcasting. Perhaps a bit far in the future, but possible.

edit: and the fact that he joined the Acacia facebook group after they offered it to him is mindboggling.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 05-20-2008, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

What is FH? How bad are the posts if it would further outcast lower tier fraternities? Did the guy commit a murder or something?
Old 05-20-2008, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

The idea is that the lower tier houses are reading FH trying to get "frattier" so they can get better. If they know the guys from better houses who post are making fun of him, they're gonna be very hesitant to bid him either.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:34 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmom View Post
What is FH? How bad are the posts if it would further outcast lower tier fraternities? Did the guy commit a murder or something?
It's another message board. A fratty-centric one.

He didn't commit murder obviously, but based on stuff he left on the internet, he's pretty much declared open season on himself with the top tier fraternities.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, what a bummer to slit your own throat rush-wise before you even get to the campus. He might be a really great guy, just a little over anxious, or under cautious. Maybe if he just lays low for a while it might blow over, or is that being over optimistic?

But, I do get the point that the lower tiers houses don't want to be associated with someone who could bring more derision on them.

Still sad for this high school senior. It's the mom in me feeling sorry for him
Old 05-20-2008, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmom View Post
Wow, what a bummer to slit your own throat rush-wise before you even get to the campus. He might be a really great guy, just a little over anxious, or under cautious. Maybe if he just lays low for a while it might blow over, or is that being over optimistic?

But, I do get the point that the lower tiers houses don't want to be associated with someone who could bring more derision on them.

Still sad for this high school senior. It's the mom in me feeling sorry for him
My guess from what I've seen is that he was probably headed to a lower-middle tier house anyways and he may very well still end up there. Just probably not one of the "fratty" lower-mid tier houses.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

How much could he delete now if he tried?

It just seems a little sad to me considering the rather harsh consequences for just being a little bit of a high school goof ball. Maybe he wasn't top tier material, but he might have been a good member in a decent one and it hardly seems like anything he really did merited totally destroying his chances.

And I don't know but joining the Acacia group might just show a good sense of humor.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProundTradition View Post
Places he won't rush for sure:
Fiji
Sig Ep
SAE
KA
Delt
ATO
ZBT

Probaly not:
Kappa Sig
Pike
Phi Psi

Looks like TKE, Delta Sig, and Phi Delt are all still in the running. Trying not to laugh here.
Ok this is off topic, but what happened to Sigma Nu? Are they still at Texas or no? I know they came back on campus in like 95 or 96( my husband is a Sigma Nu and went down there to help install the chapter and helped at Initiation)-are they gone again?
Old 05-20-2008, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProundTradition View Post
Places he won't rush for sure:
Fiji
Sig Ep
SAE
KA
Delt
ATO
ZBT

Probaly not:
Kappa Sig
Pike
Phi Psi

Looks like TKE, Delta Sig,Acacia and Phi Delt are all still in the running. Trying not to laugh here.
FYP
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 05-20-2008, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennRN View Post
Ok this is off topic, but what happened to Sigma Nu? Are they still at Texas or no? I know they came back on campus in like 95 or 96( my husband is a Sigma Nu and went down there to help install the chapter and helped at Initiation)-are they gone again?

Dormant chapter.... And with the cost of housing, land tax, etc. getting back on is going to be a task and a half. I know KE is in their old house now. Sucks not having one of our oldest and (before the boot) strongest chapters active.

Last edited by banditone; 05-20-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nate2512
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post

It just seems a little sad to me considering the rather harsh consequences for just being a little bit of a high school goof ball. Maybe he wasn't top tier material, but he might have been a good member in a decent one and it hardly seems like anything he really did merited totally destroying his chances.

And I don't know but joining the Acacia group might just show a good sense of humor.
But he did.

Nothing can be deleted, what he said was copied and posted by someone else. On the bright side for him, if anyone does want to rush him, his phone number is readily available.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nate2512
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffootball37 View Post
i actually have a friend whose a sig ep at UT. I actually have a bunch of friends/ acquaintances who go to UT. but im not sure how many of them are greek. Im out of touch with most of them. Another guy is a Pike though.
Sorry that was kind of random.
Don't do it. No, just don't.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate2512 View Post
Don't do it. No, just don't.
sorry.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post

I appreciate you sticking up for the guy, but there is no sense of humor in his joining the Acacia group after the frat pose he tried to pull.

At the end of the day this guy just has no clue. He came here and asked some good questions. Guys who could really help him out stepped in and offered to do so. He blew that off and kept on asking questions which started getting dumber. Then he started posting like he was a fratstar in some other threads.

And then he goes and registers at other forums with the same name, does the same dumb shit and even posts his phone #.

Finally, after seeming to want to go top tier, he is associating himself online with Texas Acacia. That just makes no sense. Acacia is a legit organization and more power to them. There are people who find a good home there.

But Acacia is completely outside the realm of UT Greek Life even though it is a GLO. To go from posing as a fratter to Acacia is just bizarre. It is like taking test drives at Ferrari and Porsche dealerships, and then deciding to buy a Geo Metro instead.

If Acacia is where he really should be- great. They have a big house and they do their thing. That is fine. And then the fact this guy is on the no list everywhere else does not matter.

But beyond that, he blew it. I can safely say he will not find a home in my chapter. I know that for a fact, and I support that decision.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Ive been meaning to change that picture. Hmm