GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,120
0 members and 1,120 guests
No Members online

Old 07-13-2019, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Texas Alpha Phi

So, Texas Alpha Phi is spending upwards of 7 million to completely demolish and redo their house on the UT campus. They are slated to have underground parking, a completely new internal structure and outside build. The job is to be completed within 11 months, starting 2020.

I for one will miss their current house. Love love love the first floor with it’s graceful archways, spectacular big room with wrought-iron accented sky lighting and private sitting garden but I do see how they are in need of updates on the 2nd and 3rd floor rooms.

Looking forward to the new results!
Old 07-13-2019, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

That's pretty cheap for a new house! How many will it sleep?
Old 07-15-2019, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

That's weird. The Alpha Phi at UT house corporation board has been conducting some major renovations in recent years. It seems odd to me that they would demolish a historic house and build another one after going through so much expense already. According to their website, they are planning to convert the chapter room into a study room this summer. Why would they do that if they were planning to demolish the house?

See here: http://texasalphaphialum.com/house/current-renovations/

True and Constant
Old 07-16-2019, 12:10 AM
GreekChat Member

I know of two other groups that I have heard had new houses in the works. Not for sure of time frame but I doubt any will come in at $7million. I would think more in the area of $11 to $12 million. I had not heard about Alpha Phi.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just interested View Post
I know of two other groups that I have heard had new houses in the works. Not for sure of time frame but I doubt any will come in at $7million. I would think more in the area of $11 to $12 million. I had not heard about Alpha Phi.
Texas Alpha Phi owns the land. 7 million is about what Texas KKG spent re-doing their house.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Redoing a house is not a complete rebuild. Your original post said "completely demolish and redo." That isn't possible...it's one or the other. I spent 25 years in the construction industry and currently serve on my city's Board of Zoning Adjustments. If they demolish the entire house, nothing would be left standing and it would be a rebuild. A redo is a renovation and can include additions.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Redoing a house is not a complete rebuild. Your original post said "completely demolish and redo." That isn't possible...it's one or the other. I spent 25 years in the construction industry and currently serve on my city's Board of Zoning Adjustments. If they demolish the entire house, nothing would be left standing and it would be a rebuild. A redo is a renovation and can include additions.
APhi owns the land whic explains the cost trying to catch a plane sorry.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckymer92 View Post
Texas Alpha Phi owns the land. 7 million is about what Texas KKG spent re-doing their house.
But if I remember correctly, KKG did not tear down their house completely. They just did a major renovation.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1929 View Post
But if I remember correctly, KKG did not tear down their house completely. They just did a major renovation.
Well, that's what she said about KKG-a redo. She also said APhi was demolishing and redoing theirs but that is physically impossible. Maybe she will come back when she gets off the plane and explain.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well, that's what she said about KKG-a redo. She also said APhi was demolishing and redoing theirs but that is physically impossible. Maybe she will come back when she gets off the plane and explain.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Talk about beating something to death!
Old 07-26-2019, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
I walk by the APhi house twice a day on my way to and from the office. No signs of wrecking balls whatsoever. The walls are standing. I did notice a day or two ago, looks like they might be bringing in renovation equipment? I have no inside knowledge but it looks like they're redoing the inside most likely. I'll try to take more notice.

Kappa (next door to Alpha Phi) did a complete remodel of their house - it appeared from the outside that they kept the outside walls and redid the inside completely. They also re-did the sidewalks out front - I assume in line with the city of Austin sidewalk requirements for when you pull a permit to demo or renovate. I was really happy for those sidewalks! LOL.

(I work on campus but have no real inside knowledge or involvement with the Greek system, this is all just observation from walking by.)