GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 312,599
Threads: 115,303
Posts: 2,165,702
Welcome to our newest member, JDS
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 05-10-2019, 04:14 AM
SigmaCat SigmaCat is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Nothing is certain.

Absolutely true. My chapter lost its charter over a property dispute between our corp board and international. It had zero to do with our active membership. At the time of our closing, we were solidly middle-tier with good numbers and accomplished members. We were an old, single-letter chapter, the oldest continually-active chapter in the org. Given what we'd survived in the past, the closure was a shock. Even people who were familiar with the intensifying dispute never dreamed it would come tho this.
__________________
@>----'---,---- Alpha Omicron Pi -----Phi Beta Kappa ------
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 05-10-2019, 04:42 PM
calroses calroses is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Bay
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigmaCat View Post
Absolutely true. My chapter lost its charter over a property dispute between our corp board and international. It had zero to do with our active membership. At the time of our closing, we were solidly middle-tier with good numbers and accomplished members. We were an old, single-letter chapter, the oldest continually-active chapter in the org. Given what we'd survived in the past, the closure was a shock. Even people who were familiar with the intensifying dispute never dreamed it would come tho this.
The XB, in truly childish fashion, took their frustration out on a bunch of collegians and future potential AOIIs, all because some alumnae refused to sign title to a multi-million dollar house over to them. AOII as an international organization is no longer about sisterhood; it's about money. And now they're running out of it. AOII Properties might well be the downfall of a sisterhood that has stood for over 120 years. For shame.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 08-12-2019, 01:42 PM
WregleXO WregleXO is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 25
I know a very sweet girl who went through rush twice at her college - her mother had determined what the “top” sororities were on campus and had convinced her daughter that she had to be a member of one of those groups. Each year after she was cut by the “top” groups, daughter would drop out - even though she was still being invited to parties to the groups that her mother deemed not good enough. After her second rush, her mother actually asked me what schools she could transfer to and go through rush as a junior. Luckily she did not go through with the transfer. And the mother quit talking to me after she didn’t need me to write another rec.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 08-12-2019, 02:36 PM
NYCMS NYCMS is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by WregleXO View Post
I know a very sweet girl who went through rush twice at her college - her mother had determined what the ďtopĒ sororities were on campus and had convinced her daughter that she had to be a member of one of those groups. Each year after she was cut by the ďtopĒ groups, daughter would drop out - even though she was still being invited to parties to the groups that her mother deemed not good enough. After her second rush, her mother actually asked me what schools she could transfer to and go through rush as a junior. Luckily she did not go through with the transfer. And the mother quit talking to me after she didnít need me to write another rec.
Is this young woman now out of college? If so, how has she handled being on her own? Because when I see mamas like that, I cringe at the difficulty their children will have into becoming an adult and having to make their own decisions.
__________________
Gamma Phi Beta
To the moon and back.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 08-12-2019, 04:35 PM
WregleXO WregleXO is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 25
She graduated this past spring. She is back home and has a job - but I don’t know if she has moved back home or if she has her own place. The family dynamics are very weird.
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 08-12-2019, 04:50 PM
carnation carnation is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Georgia
Posts: 11,580
I'm surprised that she didn't transfer and pledge one of her desired groups and come back and try to affiliate. Though that rarely works.
__________________
WARR EAGLE!!! WOOO PIG! SOOIE!! HAIL STATE!!
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 08-12-2019, 04:57 PM
Jen Jen is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 671
How different would the experience in a "lower tier" sorority really be?

You'll have sisterhood events. You'll have mixers with some fraternities. You'll have formals and semi formals. Scholarship opportunities. Can participate in Greek week. Will be able to attend regional events, conferences and conventions. Will be able to attend parties, host philanthropy events and volunteer with your philanthropy. So where are the real differences?

Maybe you'll have less numbers than the others (but, potentially, a closer sisterhood)? Maybe your alumnae network in that area will be smaller (especially if you're a newer chapter)? You'll maybe have a better COB program because your formal recruitment style is a bit weaker than others? People might say "they're lower tier"?

I can't think of too many differences, especially when it comes to the social aspect. The low tier sororities at my alma mater and the top tier groups do the exact same things. The experience is the same, ultimately.
__________________
ΑΦ



Last edited by Jen; 08-12-2019 at 04:57 PM. Reason: giant spaces wtf??? lol.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 08-12-2019, 05:45 PM
AlphaXi_Husky AlphaXi_Husky is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Coast
Posts: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
How different would the experience in a "lower tier" sorority really be?

You'll have sisterhood events. You'll have mixers with some fraternities. You'll have formals and semi formals. Scholarship opportunities. Can participate in Greek week. Will be able to attend regional events, conferences and conventions. Will be able to attend parties, host philanthropy events and volunteer with your philanthropy. So where are the real differences?

Maybe you'll have less numbers than the others (but, potentially, a closer sisterhood)? Maybe your alumnae network in that area will be smaller (especially if you're a newer chapter)? You'll maybe have a better COB program because your formal recruitment style is a bit weaker than others? People might say "they're lower tier"?

I can't think of too many differences, especially when it comes to the social aspect. The low tier sororities at my alma mater and the top tier groups do the exact same things. The experience is the same, ultimately.
Is it similar? Yes. The same? Not entirely.

One of the bigger differences I can think of is if you're needing to constantly COB (as in not just two or three people). That can be really draining on members and take up time from other activities (school or sorority related). I've worked with chapters who rarely have to COB and those who have to COB constantly. It's a lot more work for the latter chapters and definitely affects chapter dynamics.

And of course, there could be reasons for the need to constantly COB that affects chapter dynamics as well (high turnover indicating poor chapter health).
__________________
Autism Speaks & Alpha Xi Delta -Sharing the Love
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 08-12-2019, 06:01 PM
Jen Jen is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 671
I'm thinking the "lower tier" chapters at places like Bama and Ole Miss wouldn't have a COB issue ... the experience at places with big greek systems where quota and total are high are probably much more similar than a smaller system where you'd top out at 30-40 members.
__________________
ΑΦ


Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 08-12-2019, 09:08 PM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaXi_Husky View Post
Is it similar? Yes. The same? Not entirely.

One of the bigger differences I can think of is if you're needing to constantly COB (as in not just two or three people). That can be really draining on members and take up time from other activities (school or sorority related). I've worked with chapters who rarely have to COB and those who have to COB constantly. It's a lot more work for the latter chapters and definitely affects chapter dynamics.

And of course, there could be reasons for the need to constantly COB that affects chapter dynamics as well (high turnover indicating poor chapter health).
Too often, the people telling chapters to COB constantly (as in parties every week) are from chapters who never had to do it and consequently, have no idea what theyíre talking about.

How do you do it effectively? Maintain a wish list year round of qualities the chapter is looking for in sisters and women who are possible members. Every sister is in an extracurricular activity outside the sorority where they can meet unaffiliated women. Bring women to meet your closest friends (your sisters) with no pressure. Maintain the friendships you make. The woman who may not want or be able to pledge this fall may be ready for it the next fall and be a much more dedicated member. You should be able to keep the parties to one a month and when itís time for a pledge class, you can bid women youíve gotten to truly know.

Most of all, look beyond the freshman class, and donít just get a list from the Greek life office of the women who werenít bid and run around pell-mell trying to remember who they were from rush and bidding them. That is a sure way to have crazy amounts of chapter turnover.

Finally I donít know how a sorority that is far behind in numbers can effectively catch up without having a pledge class in the spring (if formal rush is in the fall). Shoving everyone into one huge class is a sure way for women to feel lost in the shuffle and quit.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 08-12-2019, 09:44 PM
ASTalumna06 ASTalumna06 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 5,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Too often, the people telling chapters to COB constantly (as in parties every week) are from chapters who never had to do it and consequently, have no idea what they’re talking about.

How do you do it effectively? Maintain a wish list year round of qualities the chapter is looking for in sisters and women who are possible members. Every sister is in an extracurricular activity outside the sorority where they can meet unaffiliated women. Bring women to meet your closest friends (your sisters) with no pressure. Maintain the friendships you make. The woman who may not want or be able to pledge this fall may be ready for it the next fall and be a much more dedicated member. You should be able to keep the parties to one a month and when it’s time for a pledge class, you can bid women you’ve gotten to truly know.

Most of all, look beyond the freshman class, and don’t just get a list from the Greek life office of the women who weren’t bid and run around pell-mell trying to remember who they were from rush and bidding them. That is a sure way to have crazy amounts of chapter turnover.
This. The main problem that COB chapters have is that they try and cram those parties into a week or two, bid who they can, and essentially give up after, or they're constantly having parties with a bunch of PNMs and requiring that all sisters are present. That certainly gets exhausting.

Making friends in a more natural way year-round should be the goal.
__________________
I believe in the values of friendship and fidelity to purpose

@~/~~~~
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 08-13-2019, 09:25 AM
OldFLDDD OldFLDDD is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 45
It does seem to me, on many campuses, that the "lower tier"/less desirable houses are often those with smaller membership nationwide, so this could also be a consideration. You'd still be able to find alumnae down the road, but it might be less common to come across a sister in day-to-day life if the house you are in has a lower number of total members vs. some of the larger GLOs. Just an additional consideration--not to steer anyone away from a smaller house where they feel at home! Some GLOs are also stronger in certain regions of the country than others also.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 08-13-2019, 11:41 AM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,960
^^I think itís more the age of the sorority chapter than its national size that determines that, FWIW.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 08-13-2019, 11:50 AM
navane navane is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaXi_Husky View Post
Is it similar? Yes. The same? Not entirely.

One of the bigger differences I can think of is if you're needing to constantly COB (as in not just two or three people). That can be really draining on members and take up time from other activities (school or sorority related). I've worked with chapters who rarely have to COB and those who have to COB constantly. It's a lot more work for the latter chapters and definitely affects chapter dynamics.

And of course, there could be reasons for the need to constantly COB that affects chapter dynamics as well (high turnover indicating poor chapter health).

I agree. I think that, for a chapter with fewer members than the others, the constant pressure to "catch-up" and the practical need for the members to have to double-up on officer positions has the potential to wear the membership down after a while. So, while holding a formal or philanthropy event is the same in concept, the practicalities of it are not at all the same experience. In other words, it's twice the work for a chapter half the size of her campus counterparts. That said, the very core function of our existence, sisterhood, should indeed be essentially the same.
__________________
GFB Z
Gamma Phi Beta

True and Constant
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Regarding the "Can I Join Another Group" threads PenguinTrax Sorority Recruitment 27 12-21-2009 11:39 PM
"I want to join ABC sorority" Facebook group ASTalumna06 Sorority Recruitment 15 02-16-2009 03:28 PM
"Sorority Life" - 2nd season & new show "Fraternity Life" SATX*APhi Greek Life 52 12-05-2007 04:01 PM
Upper-tier vs. Lower-tier groups? knitsnpurls Recruitment 10 08-19-2006 11:52 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.