GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 312,782
Threads: 115,313
Posts: 2,165,805
Welcome to our newest member, algaujunior4738
» Online Users: 342
3 members and 339 guests
elionemilo, Kevin, sherbertlemons
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 08-12-2009, 11:45 AM
greekmom3 greekmom3 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3
She will. And I haven't heard any of this from her. I am not accusing them of "dirty rush" because she didn't get a bid; I am accusing them of it because they DID tell other sororities "she will pledge us".
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 08-12-2009, 11:48 AM
KSUViolet06 KSUViolet06 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 18,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekmom3 View Post
She will. And I haven't heard any of this from her. I am not accusing them of "dirty rush" because she didn't get a bid; I am accusing them of it because they DID tell other sororities "she will pledge us".

Ok, my point with that was simply saying that it's important to know that unless you were there, you do not know what was said by any sorority.
__________________
"Remember that apathy has no place in our Sorority." - Kelly Jo Karnes, Pi

Lakers Nation.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 08-12-2009, 11:54 AM
greekmom3 greekmom3 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCarnation View Post
That sounds like a movie plot. I don't even understand all that.

“Much learning does not teach understanding.”
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 08-12-2009, 12:11 PM
sigmaceli sigmaceli is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver, CO by way of LSU/FIU
Posts: 223
I find it interesting that you are insinuating a lack of intelligence on Carnation's part. You are understandably upset at the outcome of your cousin's recruitment process, but I think you should heed KSUViolet's advice and refrain from posting comments about a situation that is hearsay at the moment. I think it's also pretty rude to make unkind remarks regardless if it's on the Internet.

Best of luck to you and your family member, and I wish her the best of luck at USM as well.
__________________
ΣΣΣ
friendship I character I conduct
"My mom said I picked the right guy when she found out he was a BQP!"
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 08-12-2009, 12:27 PM
BlueCarnation BlueCarnation is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekmom3 View Post
“Much learning does not teach understanding.”
I certainly didn't mean to sound harsh in my post. I was just confused because I've never heard such a story and can't believe girls would do something like that, except maybe in a movie; I never experienced anything like that on my campus, but maybe I'm just naive. I'm very sorry that it didn't work out for your cousin, but KSUViolet is pretty wise when it comes to these things, and I would heed her advice. You were not there and don't know exactly what happened. It doesn't do your cousin any good for you to be out spreading things on the internet when you don't know all the facts. I know you are not upset with me, but if it makes you feel better to release your anger to strangers on here, please go ahead. It must be an upsetting time.
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 08-12-2009, 12:51 PM
gee_ess gee_ess is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,551
My sympathies to your cousin, Greekmom3. Recruitment is a tough experience. I do not think the girls who said "she is pledging with us" intended to harm her. I am sure those who said it, meant it. But, a few girls cannot always control what the whole house will do.

I am wondering, did you say she was released prior to pref? Or did she attend pref and not receive a bid? I was under the impression that she would have been matched somewhere if she maximized her options and returned where invited on pref night.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 08-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Titchou Titchou is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 4,137
I'm wondering the same thing, too. If she had pref invites, accepted all she could and then listed all she couldon her bid car, then she was guaranteed a bid at USM. A number of groups require that legacies invited to pref be at the top of their bid list so am surprised if this happened after pref. Maybe she is so upset she didn't communicate it correctly. That I can understand.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 08-12-2009, 02:59 PM
LaneSig LaneSig is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 4,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
My sympathies to your cousin, Greekmom3. Recruitment is a tough experience. I do not think the girls who said "she is pledging with us" intended to harm her. I am sure those who said it, meant it. But, a few girls cannot always control what the whole house will do.

I am wondering, did you say she was released prior to pref? Or did she attend pref and not receive a bid? I was under the impression that she would have been matched somewhere if she maximized her options and returned where invited on pref night.
/Totally swerving out of my lane. Promise to go back to the IFC lane./

I am confused about the pref night situation, too. Did she get cut by everyone before pref night? The OP stated that her cousin got cut "the night of pref" by this one sorority and her 3 legacy sororities. Someone correct me, but that sounds like cousin went to 4 chapters on pref night. This IFC guy has never heard of going to 4 chapters on a pref night.

/Driving back to the IFC lane./
__________________
Sigma Chi. Friendship, Justice, and Learning since 1855.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 08-12-2009, 03:39 PM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,962
If you want to get technical, she said "all the sororities cut her the night of pref." That's kind of like saying she got the whole way through rush and went to every sorority on campus's pref party, which of course doesn't happen.

We're not doubting you Greekmom3, just trying to clarify the situation. Did she end up on pref night with only the one sorority and then didn't get a bid from them?
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 08-12-2009, 05:33 PM
Carpe Aeternum Carpe Aeternum is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 20
When I read that she was "cut the night of pref," I understood it to mean that when the night of pref parties rolled around, she had been cut by every chapter. Perhaps Greekmom meant that her cousin received no invites on pref night rather than was cut after pref parties.
__________________
"How dare we? It's greekchat. We dare. We spout off our hastily formed but intensely felt opinions daily. That's what happens here." ~UGAalum94
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 08-12-2009, 08:31 PM
Southern Mom Southern Mom is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I'm wondering the same thing, too. If she had pref invites, accepted all she could and then listed all she couldon her bid car, then she was guaranteed a bid at USM.
Yes, if you are invited to pref parties, attend the pref parties and maximize your options, you are guaranteed a bid at Southern Miss.

I don't know the current policy, but a few years ago PNMs could pref a maximum of two chapters at Southern Miss.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 08-12-2009, 09:17 PM
VandalSquirrel VandalSquirrel is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekmom3 View Post
Just wanted to take the opportunity to THANK USM's "wonderful" greek life. As a greek alum, I loved my greek experience. Not so, my cousin. She rushed this past week and left heartbroken. She was not sure if she would rush after graduating h.s., but a couple of sorority girls decided to make her their pet project. They had "sisters" friend her on FB, hung out with her group, and pursued her all summer. They had a poster in this sorority on her activities and grades (which are excellent, btw). She graduated Cum Laude in Honors, is a scholarship receipient to USM and her resume is about five pages long. She is beautiful, funny and never meets a stranger. However, all the sororities cut her (including the THREE she was a legacy to - grandmother, mother and two aunts) the night of pref because this sorority spread the word she was pledging them. I understand they did not promise anything; however, she liked one of the others best. Thanks, greek life at USM. This gives a new meaning to "dirty rush". I am sure my cousin will go on to be a great attribute to USM; and not miss a minute of the horrible women in this one sorority. I do think she would have been a great fit at the one she loved, but the bad one was so focused on numbers that they ruined it for both. I hope you receive the same consideration when you go for your first job interview or maybe when your child decides to rush.
To be blunt if I heard a woman was going to join XYZ but I liked her, I'd invite her back because a) that's dirty rushing b) it could be a rumor c) she might change her mind. Every group is different but it isn't easy to release legacies without VERY good reason. Perhaps SHE said she was joining XYZ and she was released for that behavior.

There have been instances where women have claimed to have been cut or released from recruitment and are not being truthful about that with their friends and relatives, when in fact they didn't want to go through or join at all (didn't want to join their legacy chapter, cut chapters they didn't like and were left with nothing, etc.) and instead of admitting so, they put the blame on sororities.

Lastly it is completely possible that there was something about your cousin you and your family are unaware of that was brought to the attention of the members, and this is why she has no bid. She may be ashamed or humiliated about it and instead of saying "well I made this bad decision that has come back to haunt me" she again, blames us for cutting her for "no reason" where as there may be a good reason.

Or, and this is unfortunate, maybe she was rude, nasty, or inappropriate at recruitment and since you care for her so much you are unaware that she is capable of being unpleasant.

ETA: Regardless, she is hurting so be supportive, caring, don't badmouth sororities and the Greek system, and give her the love and care she needs. You will likely never know what happened, so don't dwell on it.

Last edited by VandalSquirrel; 08-12-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 08-12-2009, 09:49 PM
Titchou Titchou is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 4,137
VandalSquirrel: All very possible and just what I was thinking.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 08-12-2009, 10:05 PM
libelle libelle is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 141
small world

ETA: Regardless, she is hurting so be supportive, caring, don't badmouth sororities and the Greek system, and give her the love and care she needs. You will likely never know what happened, so don't dwell on it.[/QUOTE]


Since the South is a small world it would be best to follow VandalSquirrel's advice. You don't want to undermine her if she decides to rush again.
__________________
You can take the belle out of the south but not the south out of the belle.


GreekChat.com - The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 08-12-2009, 10:33 PM
gee_ess gee_ess is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,551
Rush results are a much discussed topic within the south. The reason for the pnm's poor recruitment results will eventually surface. But I agree with the above poster: whenever we heard that someone was "hell bent" on getting a pnm, and she was one of our top pnms as well, we worked harder to get her. Chances are that the pnm, herself, was saying back in the dorm (and it made its way to the chapters) that she was planning to pledge XYZ.

In war, and in rush, the walls have ears...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Possible / Alleged Hazing: Southern Mississippi Kappa Sigma "Little Sister" exlurker Risk Management - Hazing & etc. 38 11-30-2008 05:54 PM
Thoughts and Prayers for SAEs at Southern Mississippi LaneSig Greek Life 9 01-19-2007 12:13 PM
Lawsuit Against Sigma Nu, U. of Southern Mississippi, and Others exlurker Risk Management - Hazing & etc. 15 08-04-2005 09:34 PM
Possible Hate Crime @ University of Southern Mississippi Honeykiss1974 Alpha Kappa Alpha 4 09-24-2002 01:04 AM
Que-Delta Week 2001, Univ. of Southern Mississippi 12dn94dst Events 0 03-09-2001 07:15 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.