GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,246
3 members and 2,243 guests
chi-o_cat, Cookiez17, PGD-GRAD

Old 07-06-2006, 09:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Anyone work in Government?

anyone work in government???

how did you get into it?
do you like it?

are you considering going to the private sector? or did you come from the private sector???

--- I'm very interested in spending some time working in state/local government. I would like to see what others have experienced or what some people's opinions are.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-06-2006, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I've been in city government and county government and have been in the private sector in between the two as well. If you like politics (the Republican vs Democrat kind not office) then you'll like it. With the city I worked at, I just got fed up with the personalities and the BS.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartBlondeGPhB
I've been in city government and county government and have been in the private sector in between the two as well. If you like politics (the Republican vs Democrat kind not office) then you'll like it. With the city I worked at, I just got fed up with the personalities and the BS.
hmm, im actually scared of the politics. I know there can be some major BS. I guess you couldn't handle it either?
Old 07-08-2006, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

I worked for the government for 5 years prior to moving ... it was a pleasurable experience...I currently work in the private sector but I wouldn't mind returning to the government at some point.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Gina1201
I currently work for the Federal government. I've worked there for 5 years with no major complaints.

Cause even when I'm a mess
I still put on a vest
With an 'S' on my chest
Oh yes, I'm a SUPERWOMAN
Old 07-08-2006, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

My biggest complaint working in state government was the lack of pay (it was REALLY bad). I did, however, really enjoy it. I worked for a public defender's office and we were pretty much all wacky liberals, so politics weren't a problem for me.

I've worked for government or nonprofits for most of my career; the private sector doesn't appeal to me.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greekopedia
hmm, im actually scared of the politics. I know there can be some major BS. I guess you couldn't handle it either?
Well, it was mostly personality BS and letting someone get away with crap that he shouldn't have been allowed to get away with.

I'd suggest working somewhere where you agree with the politics....
Old 07-10-2006, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greekopedia
anyone work in government???

how did you get into it?
do you like it?

are you considering going to the private sector? or did you come from the private sector???

--- I'm very interested in spending some time working in state/local government. I would like to see what others have experienced or what some people's opinions are.
I'm currently interning for the Federal Trade Commission. This is my second year doing so and before that I interned for the United States Park Polices for 2 years. So far, I do enjoy it though it can get boring at times...but maybe its just my office.

I've never worked for the private sector before and I'm a little cautious about doing so...job security seems a whole better with the federal government. Based off of what I've been told by people who've worked for corporate America, it seems like on big rat race that if you aren't careful, you can easily fall out of. Meaning that you always have to be worried about if you're perceived as a valuable assest because you can either be the victim of being laid off or replaced. I guess this can be a good thing because it keeps you on your Ps and Qs but I perceive it as something negative because my job (my meal ticket) is not something that I like to be insecure about.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to babyhootie Send a message via Yahoo to babyhootie
I work in the Antitrust Division of a state Attorney General's office... I really love it! During undergrad I had tried very hard to get a job at the AG's...... flash forward a couple of years and I bumped into a college friend at my law school and I had told her about how badly I wanted to work for the AG's office. Well, it turns out she worked in that division and that there was an opening! sweet. I haven't been in the private sector and I don't anticipate leaving gov't any time soon.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I will celebrate my 21st year on Sunday.

Yes, low pay but finally that's changing.
Yes, can't get rid of beings who occupy a seat without producing work.

I guess I'll be with them until I retire or hubby gets a wonderful job somewhere that it will make it too far to drive. (He keeps telling me if he can get a $50k raise, I can retire.)

All the big shots will be retiring in a few year and I know more than most here so...(my mgr tells me that, lol.)

BTW, there are a lot of State of GA agencies who have a hiring freeze.I know my place does and it definitely bites!
Old 10-25-2007, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
I did over 20 years in the military.

Then I was a contractor, then civil service (federal government) and then contractor again. I'll never do civil service again.

Where I was, and at the level I was, the pay was fine. It was a couple of things that drove me mad: incompetent leaders, do-nothing coworkers (not all of them, by a long shot), and inefficiency.

As a government contractor, I get paid by the value I bring to my firm; if I don't bring value to the customer, I don't bring value to the firm. Additionally, when I've completed a project, I can move on to something new.

Some people prefer the stability of government service. It certainly brings that. And as a contractor, I can only advise; I can't make decisions. Sometimes that gets frustrating.

It's also important that you're a good fit with a firm you can trust.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm currently a graduate intern within my state's government. It's a really cool program that pays you as well as waives a good chunk of your tuition (Score!) but also gives a LOT of experience in the process. I don't think it directly applies to my field so much (State Department of Marriage and Family Therapy? Not so much) BUT it's still great on the resume, and for the knowledge I'm gaining.

That said, I do NOT want to work there after I graduate, it isn't my field. However the benefits aren't bad.

This probably doesn't help the OP any though
Old 10-26-2007, 07:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I have worked for the federal government as an intern since I was 16 off and on. After grad school got a job with the Navy doing marketing. Now I work for the Army doing contracting.

Where I recently moved to, the military is a huge employer. For me, being my age and making as much as I do in my locality, plus the job security it's the best deal around. And the benefits and vacation aren't bad either. Not many other places allow employees to carry 6 weeks of leave on the books.

Of course, it's all in what you want, I'm the child and grandchild of public servants and have always been taught the value of working for the government and how to get along with the bureaucracy. And it helps that a huge portion of the workforce in my area can retire in 5 years, so I know I'll be moving up.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Jobs...

After working for the County Government in Child Welfare--I've become fed up with the BS, as well. I am a hard worker and love to do community service. I live in PA. If anyone has any advice about getting a job in the government (county, state, federal-etc.) please get in touch with me. I would love to work for Child Welfare again (it wasn't the job BS but, some of the practices I've encountered)...if not, I'm flexible to do whatever.....Today is my birthday and I'm having a horrible day because of things that have happened in the past few days....so, any help would be great. Thank you in advance.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
I'm in pseudo-government. We receive our primary funding from the federal government and we are required to report to the state government. Plus, we have representatives of various government agencies on-site at our location. The organization is non-profit, however, which is why I call it "pseudo-government."

I must say, I would prefer to slip over to the government side of things because they have incredible salaries and ridiculous benefits (this is NY). They also have a lot more resources available to them to get the work done.

My counterpart in one government agency has less responsibility and more pay. I'll take that job! The folks in my organization haven't gotten a raise - cost of living or otherwise - in ten years. The government employees are getting money thrown at them on a constant basis.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.