GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,137
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, asydneytianov33
» Online Users: 968
2 members and 966 guests
asydneytianov33, Mooch279

Old 01-10-2005, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Info-Only Recs

Was going to put this in the other rec thread but decided to start a new thread.

What on earth is the point of an info-only rec? That info is info that the PNM fills out on her rush application anyway. Unless you have something specific to say about the girl, what is the point? Why waste your time, the PNMs time, and the chapter's time? It's incredibly inefficient!
Old 01-10-2005, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

It looks like perhaps rec policies vary from sorority to sorority. It isn't a waste of time for ADPi chapters to receive info-only recs. I won't elaborate, as I feel that would violate confidentiality in our membership selection policies.

Every PNM must fill out an application to go through recruitment. Having a rec ensures their name is mentioned a second time, and has a chance for their name to stick out. I still think it is in a PNM's best interest to get recs. If they are info-recs, then they're info recs.

It's one extra step they have taken to prepare themselves. They feel better about themselves, it allows alumnae to be involved with the chapters they want to help and it gives the chapter an opportunity to take a second look at a PNM who's taken the time to get a rec and show she's rushing for the right reasons.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adpiucf
It looks like perhaps rec policies vary from sorority to sorority. It isn't a waste of time for ADPi chapters to receive info-only recs. I won't elaborate, as I feel that would violate confidentiality in our membership selection policies.

Every PNM must fill out an application to go through recruitment. Having a rec ensures their name is mentioned a second time, and has a chance for their name to stick out. I still think it is in a PNM's best interest to get recs. If they are info-recs, then they're info recs.

It's one extra step they have taken to prepare themselves. They feel better about themselves, it allows alumnae to be involved with the chapters they want to help and it gives the chapter an opportunity to take a second look at a PNM who's taken the time to get a rec and show she's rushing for the right reasons.
I would agree.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nauadpi Send a message via Yahoo to nauadpi
I agree greatly with adpiucf... I also wanted to add that at some schools that app does not always have a lot of info to it... As a result an info-rec can still add aditional info about the pm...
Old 01-11-2005, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ADPi Conniebama
huh?

Info-only rec - - what is that? is that just a rec without a picture? or is it a rec that i know about and some people just call it "info-only rec"
Old 01-11-2005, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Connie,

It's the standard rec form-- look in your summer Adelphean or go to alphadeltapi.org and log onto Pride Online. There's a spot on the form where you can indicate your relationship with the PNM, info only, info secured through reliable third party, etc. (It's a simple check box)

I can't speak for all NPC's, but our rec form is universally accepted as an ADPi recommendation form, regardless of your relationship with the PNM.

I advise adding a personal letter with the rec form, regardless of it being info-only or not. The letter is a good time to call out the PNM's special attributes (IE: maybe she starred in a nationwide traveling music revue the summer of 11th grade, and that is certainly an attention-grabber, or she founded a club at her school, nursed a dying relative with cancer, etc... those are extremes, but you know), to wish the chapter luck in the coming year, and sometimes to offer to assist the chapter with future events.

Last edited by adpiucf; 01-11-2005 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Info-Only Recs

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
Was going to put this in the other rec thread but decided to start a new thread.

What on earth is the point of an info-only rec? That info is info that the PNM fills out on her rush application anyway. Unless you have something specific to say about the girl, what is the point? Why waste your time, the PNMs time, and the chapter's time? It's incredibly inefficient!
I tend to agree with you, unless you have extra info it is mere repetition of the information on the rush application. I think people are often mislead by the whole "you must have a rec to pledge" thing and do it to serve that purpose.