GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,074
0 members and 2,074 guests
No Members online

Old 10-02-2005, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally posted by FSUZeta
quota plus is designed to help those women who MAXIMIZE their chances by attending all parties. if women are skipping parties and are then receiving bids as quota additions, the school is not using it as it was intended.
Yes, I spent quite a bit of time beating my head against the wall on this at presidents' council a few years back. I wanted the following to help my chapter (a smaller one at the time):

1. If a girls skips parties on her schedule, she is no longer eligible for quota addition.

2. If a girl suicides a chapter and does not match, she is not allowed to pledge that chapter through a snap/COB in the same semester.

3. Panhellenic advertising after formal rush to get names of girls who did not rush but may be interested.

4. Every chapter is guaranteed a minimum two RX's.

5. Published release figures for all chapters.

6. No COB hiatus after FR. If a chapter recolonized and needed it, we should only be prevented from adverstising COB, but not from pledging friends of existing members.

7. An elimination of bid day on the quad.

I only got #4.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-02-2005, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

well that's a shame, because they sound like reasonable requests.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltaBetaBaby
6. No COB hiatus after FR. If a chapter recolonized and needed it, we should only be prevented from adverstising COB, but not from pledging friends of existing members.
What??? You mean if you have an open rush party like the week after formal rush, you can't give out open bids? That's totally wrong and totally discriminatory to the smaller groups.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:59 PM

Quote:

7. An elimination of bid day on the quad.

Obviously I don't go to your school, but I'm curious. Why no bid day on the quad?

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JocelynC
Obviously I don't go to your school, but I'm curious. Why no bid day on the quad?
I'm guessing one or maybe some of these:

1. Fraternity guys making rude comments.

2. It being very obvious which chapters are smaller/took fewer people.

3. Having to open your bid in public in front of the rest of the rushees and sorority members - and having to hide your feelings if it wasn't exactly what you wanted.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's the stats for this year, in case anyone was curious.

U of I Panhellenic Numbers
Old 10-02-2005, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

3. Having to open your bid in public in front of the rest of the rushees and sorority members - and having to hide your feelings if it wasn't exactly what you wanted.

Is this actuallly what happens at this school??

At West Georgia, the tradition is that bids are given out about 8:00 pm Labor Day at the UCC building or inside another campus building..not in the middle of campus!!! ..then the new members rush over to the sorority dorm to their new glo.

Then about 9 or some, all of the groups meet in the quad.

At that time of night, the sororities are about the only ones there. Everyone can see who pledge who. You will always those that are disappointed that they didn't get their 1st choice but hopefully the majority are thrilled.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dixiephimu
When I pledged bids were given out at the theater, right in the middle of campus, right in front of everybody. You could definately tell who didn't get their first choice, and I always remembered who was upset about getting what.

What was awful for me was that I knew I got a bid (I played the game) but there was no bid card for me!!! So while everybody was screaming and running to their house, my roommate was comforting me while I went bawling to the office (She already got her bid from our mutual first choice). Turned out ok in the end, I was a Phi Mu too! But oh the agony. I'll never forget!
Old 10-02-2005, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Our PNMs open their bids in a separate room (no houses) from members. They go through the alphabet, like A-K or whatever. The only ones to see the emotions are other PNMs. I think it's better like that.

KLTC
Old 10-02-2005, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Our girls open theirs in the campus center...the only people there are the PX's and other PNMs. Recruitment chairs are not allowed to come and pick the girls up till after theyre done. The only problem?? People are upstairs eating in the cafeteria and it's sort of an "open floor" so people are coming downstairs all the time and there's all sorts of noise too...we try to schedule it later, but sometimes it just doesn't happen.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AGDLynn

Is this actuallly what happens at this school??

I have NO idea...I'm just speculating...hopefully DBB will come back & fill us in. So please don't take what I wrote as the truth!
Old 10-03-2005, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

at my school, bid cards are opened in front of one of the gyms on the western side of campus in front of only the sigma rho chi's and other pnm's. then there's a revealing ceremony with the PX's where they all sing the chapters' songs and when that particular girl's chapter's song comes up, she unzips her sweatshirt. its a very fun way for all the pnm's to be see who belongs to whom!

and then the newly revealed rho chi's take the girls who got bids from their chapters across campus cheering the song to wherever the sorority is hanging out (we don't have houses or dorms, so most places are traditionally assigned - ie in fron t of another gym, near the theater, near the center of campus, etc etc)
Old 10-03-2005, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
What??? You mean if you have an open rush party like the week after formal rush, you can't give out open bids? That's totally wrong and totally discriminatory to the smaller groups.
When one of the smaller chapters got very small, they asked for a COB hiatus. Now, the big chapters didn't know a damn thing about COB, so they voted in favor, but it hurt everyone else who was not at quota/total. I realize that particular chapter needed help, but in COB, you are rarely competing for the same women.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
I have NO idea...I'm just speculating...hopefully DBB will come back & fill us in. So please don't take what I wrote as the truth!
Okay, when I rushed, you went a big room in the union. Each rush group had a table, and you found your rho chis and got your bid, and most opened them there. Then you went back to your dorm, and your new sisters came to pick you up for bid night.

Now, everyone finds the Rho Chis from their org, and get into groups, then go out onto the quad where your new sisters are waiting for you and take you back to the house. Yes, it is VERY obvious which groups do not make quota, and there are a lot more people there to see if you are upset.

There was some theory that not letting girls go back to their dorm would prevent chapters from losing girls between bid distribution and bid night, but I don't think that worked that way.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
When one of the smaller chapters got very small, they asked for a COB hiatus. Now, the big chapters didn't know a damn thing about COB, so they voted in favor, but it hurt everyone else who was not at quota/total. I realize that particular chapter needed help, but in COB, you are rarely competing for the same women.
A couple of years ago for informal (which is for upperclassmen and is in the Fall), the school I was at allowed the smaller chapters to start informal a week earlier than the larger ones. It helped my chapter which was 3rd in size (of 5) and only about 10 smaller than the largest but it didn't help the smallest one as much. We ended up getting 12 girls (I think).