GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,461
0 members and 2,461 guests
No Members online

Old 09-26-2005, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quota was down at UofM-Dearborn as well. In past years quota has been between 10-12. This year it was 8. I was surprised to hear that 45 girls were signed up, but only 22 showed up the first night.

KLTC
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-27-2005, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TxGirl
In past years, recruitment numbers have been declining around the country. This was happening before the new RFM came out, so I don't think you can blame declining enrollment on the new RFM. Of course the reasons for the decline are different at every campus - but one of the biggest is that we are not reaching enough women in a positive manner and we are not reaching so people at all. PR on campus is usually non-existant or a case of too little too late.

We always were able to get plenty of women to sign up for recruitment, so our PH's aren't used to having to do PR. Now that there are so many other options for these women on campus to be leaders or find new friends, we see many that normally would have gone through recruitment, skipping it. Tri-Delta did a great article about it a year or so ago. It had an interview with an outstanding woman on campus that WASN'T greek and why she wasn't interested in being greek.

This is purely speculation on my part - so don't flame me, but perhaps at OU, recruitment had become too cut-throat. I think a new chapter will help this and I know that Alpha Phi is doing a lot of PR before they come on. Smart on their part no matter what since a chapter house there is a sizable investment. But, we saw this at UT when I was in the chapter. We went from recruitment of 1300 to 650 in about 5 years. Why, b/c it was so hard to get into any group. Women started going to other schools to go through recruitment. Many started with the intention of transfering to UT, but stayed b/c they found their place at the other school. Consequently, our numbers went way down (we still haven't gotten back to 1000 and it's been almost 10 years since we bottomed out). Other state school have gone up and stayed consistent. Pretty sad when you think about UT being the largest public university in the US out of 50,000+ students we can't field 1000 who want to be greek.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

UGA's quota was lower this year because they actually waited to calculate quota based on the number of women who attend prefs (not the women who are invited)... this helps, since lots of gals at UGA may drop before prefs if they don't have the parties they want.

Quota at UGA has been in the low 60s since I was a freshman there... and it was 52 this year. However, 15/17 made quota this year (and the other 2 were close), whereas last year even a couple of "top" houses needed to scramble for a snap bid or two to reach quota. I'm not sure how the new system works, but it's working well at UGA!
Old 09-27-2005, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Rollergirl2001
According to my school's paper, the number's the same here as last year. I don't want to go into details because I'll get in trouble.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think this must be a southern thing. I mean, I can't remember any girls that every single sorority was just like "We have to have her" except for maybe the feature twirler.
Was that me?
LoL
Silver
Old 10-02-2005, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dixiephimu
Quota at Ole Miss is up about 30 girls since I pledged.

It was around 55 in 98 when I went through rush. A few years ago Phi Mu took something like 97 girls!! This year quota was 84 and word is all but one took quota.

One reason for the increase in quota is we lost one group since I went through rush. I think it's high time to bring another group in because the houses are stuffed full. I'm still not sure where everybody fits for chapter meetings.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to hottytoddy Send a message via AIM to hottytoddy Send a message via Yahoo to hottytoddy
What was quota @ Ole Miss this year. I don't even know. My cousin is still there. I talked to her breifly yesterday and all I know is that Phi Mu was doing really well. Other than that I don't have a clue.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know how my alma mater will do this year (they have a very deferred recruitment) but at UCLA, where I advise, quota was up. Last year it was 22 or 23 and this year it was 31. I do think it might be due more to other changes in in the recruitment structure, but then again I don't think they lost too many girls through the process either.