GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,715
0 members and 1,715 guests
No Members online

Old 02-01-2005, 02:29 AM
GreekChat Member

UIW Recruitment

So tonight was the first night of Formal Recruitment ar UIW. They are on deferred recruitment and its an interesting setup.

Background:

3 Sororities; DPhiE, ASA and a local, DSD.

2 Fraternities: Chi Phi and Lambda Chi Alpha
(I am the advisor for Lambda Chi)

Undergraduate population: 4,000 students,
Private Catholic Univeristy

First greek group: 1985
First NPC group: 1999
First NAIC group: 2002

The entire system is structured on the NPC model, even for guys, with rounds and parties and pref parties, mandatory applications and the such. Thank god I was pretty familiar with the NPC way of doign things from my time as an undergrad. It will be really wierd to see it done like that for the fraternities.

Tonight was the informational meeting where the PNM's were told how the process goes down, what to wear and the breakdown on the hazing laws. It was really wierd to see guys and girls together recruiting. A new experience for me to say the least.

After the Greek Life Office gave their presentation, and then chapter members picked at random by the GL office (wierd, right) came up and spoke about their orgs, the PNM'S were allowed the opportunity to move around the room and visit different groups. After a half an hour, the Actives had to leave the room so the PNM's could ask questions w/out the actives being in the room. Then the PNM's, and actives mingeled again, but the GL office wanted everyone to mingle, the male PNM's to visit the sororities, and vice versa. Definately a twist on how I'd ever seen things done.

Tomorrow is (god help me being in a fraternity and having to say this) Round One. They cant do anything off campus, and the weather sucks, so its indoors for 2 parties at 45 mins each.

Wednseday is Rushee Pref, where they can go visit which ever groups they want to.

Thursday is the traditional pref parties.

Friday is Bid day.

Fortunately, the undergrads are allowed to do an informal recruitment week after formal is over. The guys I advise are a bit rusty (cause they've never done recruitment before) but overall, they just needed a bit of proding to keep them from, talking to each other instead of the PNM's. I did find myself being the only one remembering to ask PNM's to come out to the next day of recruitment.

I felt bad because the other fraternity didnt have a big showing of actives and didnt really have anybody at their table talking to them. Their group and the group I advise have very different personalities and wouldn't recruit the same people. So I wish they would have been more agressive in talking to the PNM's. Their display and table was very nice looking and their guys were very sharply dressed in blue shirts and red ties. The guys I advise just wanted to come casual and in letters.

With all that, I still had 2 PNM's ask me the following questions: 1) How come no one was talking to the other group and 2) What was wrong with them. I just told the PNM's that 1) They will have an opportunity to meet all rushees and all rushees will have an opportunity to meet all groups. and 2) Nothing is wrong with the other group. Each group has its own successes and things that it does better than everyone else. The important thing to remember is that there is a group for everyone and its critical to check out each and every group for a fit.

The other group even paid our group a HUGE compliment during his speech. He said his brothers were the nicest guys on campus, besides the Lambda Chi's. Wow, huh?

I wont get to be there for the pref parties and bid day because I will be in Florida for a conference. There were about 7 girls to one guy, there are only about 8 guys total to choose from. One guy wont qualify right off, because he has a 1.23 GPA. I am guessing right now they will bid and sign 5 or 6 during formal recruitment. Their recruitment goal is 15, so they will need to sign another 9 or 10 during informal recruitment. I am confident they can do it.

Anyway, I'll keep ya'll up to date with what I know.

* Edited to add that I am not hating on the NPC model for recruitment of women. I learned that lesson on GC a long time ago. I understand it has its place. I just dont think it has its place in fraternity recruitment. If anything, I am kinda supprised that the gals havent taken the initaitive and set up a local Panhellenic. They do have two NPC groups there. I just think it would be better suited to have recruitment independent of each other since our traditional recruitment methods are so different.

While it might not be a technical violation of NPC policy to have men present at the informational sessions, at the beginning of each night and at the joint bid day, I do think it violates the spirit of the rule (no guys allowed) because its a distraction. Guys shouldnt need women to recruit and vice versa. Your org should stand on its own two feet. But those are just my thoughts....

Last edited by lifesaver; 02-01-2005 at 02:45 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-01-2005, 10:32 AM

Actually D Phi E is still a colony there. Once they receive their charter a chapter of NPC will be set up per Green Book rules.

As far as both sexes being at the informational, that sounds like something they want to do to promote Greek life overall. With just 5 groups total it wouldn't be too crowded.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Last night all 9 PNM's visited the group I advise. Glad to see no one dropped out so far.

It went good. onyl had 45 minutes with them. Had pizza and sodas and just talked.

Most of the actives feel confident that they should sign 7 or 8 of the PNM's. Tonight is the first round of pref parties (PNM choice).
Old 02-02-2005, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

best of luck with recruitment!
Old 02-02-2005, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

What does UIW stand for?
Old 02-02-2005, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it stands for
University of the Incarnate Word

please let me know if I am wrong
Old 02-02-2005, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

University of the Incarnate Word in San Antonio Texas.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Today was PNM's pref day and ALL 9 preffed the group I advise. Cool huh?

The actives did a PS2 tournament. Everyone brought their TV's and PS2's. Had pizza and soda. It was really cool.

I think they will take 8 of them. There was one guy who just didnt fit in and dosent mesh well with the group. They also have a line on a few PNM's for informal recruitment next week. If they dont reach their goal of 15, they'll get REAL close to it.

Tomorrow is the groups pref day. They will be inviting back those 8 I believe.

Yes, UIW is University of the Incarnate Word.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to UCFStefanie
Don't Feel so weird. I am currently interning at Rollins College and their Mens groups do a similar process. Their process is not the same week as womens but they are back to back (men's last week, womens this week).

For the men they have parties on Sunday and Monday where rushees can attend each of the chapters (5 total). They even have a rotation so that all groups see every fraternity. On tuesday the rushees can atted the parties that they want and then wednesday and thursday are fraternity invite rounds. Friday is bid night. It was very different for me also. But it was also really awesome to see all the men on bid night. Men get excited too.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm on the other side of UIW recruitment--I advise one of the sororities. While recruitment is structured similarly to an NPC recruitment, it does not follow all the same guidelines that you might see at another school so it makes for some interesting situations, like having men's and women's groups together the first night. Ultimately, UIW needs to get all the groups working together BEFORE recruitment to get people interested in coming out. I think the school has great potential but the students have the lead the charge.

Good luck to everyone!
Old 02-09-2005, 01:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment is over...

Of the 8 guys going through recruitment, eligible to get a bid, 7 of them signed with Lambda Chi. The one remaining guy signed with Chi Phi. He said he clicked with them better, which is the way it should be.

Tonight the 7 NM's were associated into Lambda Chi, so it was pretty cool. There are three more guys who will be going through informal recruitment next week. Most of those guys are a lock.

The undergrads are pretty pumped. I am also excited for them.

I also agree that they need to really work to get students out.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SDTSarah
Random note: I'm currently obsessed with San Antonio.

Sounds like a fun, laid-back recrutiment.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lifesaver
Recruitment is over...

Of the 8 guys going through recruitment, eligible to get a bid, 7 of them signed with Lambda Chi. The one remaining guy signed with Chi Phi. He said he clicked with them better, which is the way it should be.

Woah, 7-1? Plus you're probably getting another three? I know it's not a contest, but I'm just wondering about how Chi Phi might react to you. I mean, you guys are new and yet you're cornering the rush market. How does this work with men? With women, they'd probably feel some measure of sadness or resentment towards the other group for getting most of the PNMs. How do you think this will factor into your chapter's relationship on campus? I'm just wondering because it seems like such a small rush and there are only two groups....

At the end of the day, it sounds like you all did a great job. Obviously you're doing something right!

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 02-14-2005, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by navane
Woah, 7-1? Plus you're probably getting another three? I know it's not a contest, but I'm just wondering about how Chi Phi might react to you. I mean, you guys are new and yet you're cornering the rush market. How does this work with men? With women, they'd probably feel some measure of sadness or resentment towards the other group for getting most of the PNMs. How do you think this will factor into your chapter's relationship on campus? I'm just wondering because it seems like such a small rush and there are only two groups....

At the end of the day, it sounds like you all did a great job. Obviously you're doing something right!

.....Kelly
As the advisor, I told the guys to be prepared for resentment. Chi Phi was the first fraternity on campus and they are still a colony. Now my group has chartered in one year. The undergrads in the chapter I advise worked towards soothing any resentment by offering to help them with recrutiment or anything they might need. I have heard numerous members tell me that they want to see Chi Phi succeed because without them, Lambda Chi is the token fraternity. They know that more greeks is what they need, not fewer.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

How are y'all doing now?

Just found this and was wondering how y'all are doing now?

If Lambda Chi Alpha would like to work on projects or joint rush with APO at UIW, just let me know since I'm the new president.