GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,378
0 members and 1,378 guests
No Members online

Old 09-25-2010, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter's recruitment

My daughter started recruitment today! I am very excited for her and can't wait for her to call me tonight to tell me all about it.
As my name suggests, I am a Zeta. The school she is attending does not have a ZTA chapter. At first I was sad that she would not be a legacy, but then I felt relief that I wouldn't have to worry about her being dropped by a Zeta chapter. It is all good as to which house she receives a bid from.

My question for anyone who has a daughter who chose a different sorority that yours, do you feel divided loyalties as you learn about another group? I am an active ZTA Alumna, but I want to be supportive of my daughter's group, too. I realize that she is only on day one and a lot could happen before Bid Day(she drops, doesn't get at bid,etc..), I just wanted to hear how others handled it.

Thanks and I will let you know where she goes!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-25-2010, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm in the same boat right now, my sister just started recruitment today. She is at a college without a Theta chapter (or Zeta for that matter! ) I'm happy for her so long as she finds a great home. I know it's not quite the same with a sister versus daughter, but I feel not division of loyalty, and I don't think I will if my own daughter pledges someplace else 13 years from now.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I can answer the question about divided loyalties. My daughter attends the same school that I attended. My chapter no longer exists at the school, but a chapter with a similar focus does exists there. My daughter is totally in a different house. I don't have divided loyalties because in the end we are family.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I am a ZTA and my daughter attended the same University that I attended. My daughter was attending from out of state. ZTA has not been on campus for over a decade. I ask myself the same question you are wrestling with at the moment. I also had to deal with the knowledge that she had recommendations (several to one sorority) and that these women would soon be her sister and share something with her that I could not. The week was bittersweet mainly because she is my only daughter and my first born. She called every day to share rush (yeah I am old school) with me. She was so excited and she had a great rush! She was lucky, she was in the position of cutting houses. As the week went on rush became easier for me instead of just giving lip service to follow your heart, listen to what is being said - I let go & let God! My rush, my ZTA experience was mine it cannot be hers - I knew this in my head but finally my heart accepted it. On pref night she was invited back to her top three. She told me as she left each house she thought I could be happy here - but deep in her heart she heard the call to the sorority she had so many recs from - all the women who had watched her grow up. On bid day (Aug. 2001) she became a sister to not only friends of mine but also her first babysitter. It was fitting. She may not be my sister but she will always be my daughter.

ZTA will always be your first love but you will love learning about another sorority! Suddenly some things from the past may make sense! LOL It will be so much fun. This week check out the businesses on her campus that carry greek items, do they deliver to the dorms. Be ready to order something for immediately delivery on bid day. Attend every parent event she invites you to - smile and be every inch the Zeta Lady that you are!
May your daughter have a wonderful rush, may she follow her heart and find her home.
Please keep us posted as the week continues.
By the way my daughter is a proud Chi-O. And yes I cried as I wrote this post.

ZTA
Alpha Chi \^^^/

Last edited by scrapinfificat; 09-25-2010 at 05:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-25-2010, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

scrappinfificat! You made me cry, too!

Thank you Zeta Sister for sharing your thoughts and feelings. I am glad to hear the same things I am going through.

I helped her with a few recs and she did get one from a former National President for one group (recs aren't required at her school). So I feel I was able to use the ties and friendships that I have made through sorority life to help her even if I didn't get to use legacy status.

She just called after she listed her order for Day 1. She said she is not going to make it having to wait another 15 hours to find out where she is going on Day 2!. Day 3 isn't until next Friday so that is when the waiting will be crazy! She just sounds like she is loving it and enjoying everyone she is meeting. I am so happy for her!

Thank you for the idea of ordering something for her. She has lots of friends from home at school, so I will send some money to one of them to go get her somethings to deliver to her on Bid Day!
Old 09-25-2010, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter also pledged a different group. I do not have a problem with it at all. I wanted her to find a group of sisters that would make her happy for the next four years at school and hopefully she will be an active alum after graduation. The only problem I have is that I have been called a few times by my sorority to help and I do not feel comfortable doing it since I have become involved with the parent group for her sorority. Maybe I would not mind helping at another school but I don't think it is a good idea to be involved with both on the same campus.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

tootiepie2 Congrats on your daughter finding her greek home & what a wonderful Mom she has to become actively involved with the parents group.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

ZTA Doe
I will be waiting to reading the rest of the story & I can't wait!
ZL
Old 09-25-2010, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootiepie2 View Post
My daughter also pledged a different group. I do not have a problem with it at all. I wanted her to find a group of sisters that would make her happy for the next four years at school and hopefully she will be an active alum after graduation. The only problem I have is that I have been called a few times by my sorority to help and I do not feel comfortable doing it since I have become involved with the parent group for her sorority. Maybe I would not mind helping at another school but I don't think it is a good idea to be involved with both on the same campus.
It might be more work, but if you have the time, I don't think that anyone would think it was odd for you to be involved. You would be involved in different ways - one as a parent, and another as a sister/alumna.

I guess I see supporting the collegiate chapter as an opportunity to both give back and demonstrate that sisterhood is for life.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I have met so many great moms and dads through working with her sorority. It has been really fun and makes me want to become more involved with my sorority because I will only have 3 more years with her. When I moved to La. from Ky. they did not have an active alum group close to me. When they finally got a group in Lafayette I was so involved in raising my family, job etc. that I never took the time, and after a while they stopped contacing me. I guess I will have to try again. The LSU chapter has asked me to help a few times during rush etc. But I won't do that till after daughter graduates.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

A friend of mine has two daughters, neither of whom belong to sororities. The elder daughter wasn't interested and the young goes to a school that does not have a Greek system.

My friend will admit that she is mildly diasppointed. She is active with her alumnae organization and has advised her daughters' friends who have participated in rush/recruitment at their schools.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

My daughter is only a junior in high school but most of the schools she is considering do not have Alpha Gam chapters. I believe it will be easier for me to embrace her membership in another sorority if Alpha Gam is not an option than if she goes somewhere with an Alpha Gam chapter and is cut or chooses another group.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amicus View Post
A friend of mine has two daughters, neither of whom belong to sororities. The elder daughter wasn't interested and the young goes to a school that does not have a Greek system.

My friend will admit that she is mildly diasppointed. She is active with her alumnae organization and has advised her daughters' friends who have participated in rush/recruitment at their schools.
And the interest you have in your friends' college aged daughters as well as college aged sorority women everywhere continues to creep people out to no end.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Six of my daughters have rushed in the last 10 years, ZTA Doe. None rushed at campuses that had Pi Phi; I have 2 AOIIs, 2 Chi Os, a Phi Mu, and a Zeta. I've got to admit that for years, it was weird seeing other groups' things around the house; last week I cleaned up the play room and found an AOII bulletin board, a Chi O notebook, a Zeta pledge manual, and a giant Phi Mu cup. For years, I felt like a perp when I would wear, say, my "Chi O Mom" polo or "Zeta Parent" T-shirt. Receiving official mail complete with crest from the national offices or local chapters was also startling at first. We were very proud of our girls, though, and their sisters are super!

I threw myself into whatever I was asked to do to help, although 5 of their chapters were far away. And yes, just because someone will say something if I don't, I hope that at least 1 of my high school daughters or maybe my granddaughters will go Pi Phi!

Anyway, I know lots of moms who've experienced this because lately, few SEC women have gotten their legacy chapter so there are many moms these days who wonder, "Wow, my daughter is in a different group, how can I help?"
Old 09-26-2010, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AznSAE
last week we were searching for greek related movies on netflix. i came across "the sorority wars" and watched it with my sister. it was a made-for-tv movie (abc family i think) that came out in 2009 dealing with this exact situation. it was okay, but more for the younger crowd. if i didn't read much about sorority recruitment on greekchat, i probably wouldn't have gotten this movie lol. it deals with recruitment, dirty rushing, pref, parties, rivals, etc. below is a copy-and-paste summary:

When freshman Katie (Lucy Hale) pledges a sorority, her mother, Lutie (Courtney Thorne-Smith) expects her to choose prestigious Delta house. After all, Lutie wasn't only a member of Delta, she co-founded it. But when Katie decides on the less straitlaced Kappas, Lutie loses her cool. Now, it's an all-out family feud - mother vs. daughter, sister vs. sister - in this campus drama co-starring Faith Ford as Lutie's best friend and fellow Delta founder.