GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,055
0 members and 1,055 guests
No Members online

Old 03-27-2019, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorority accidentally puts Univ. of Michigan on active shooter lockdown

Maybe get a new team building event.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/mich...211557593.html
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-27-2019, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, popping balloons sound like gunshots.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Apology issued by the UM chapter of aKDPhi:

https://www.michigandaily.com/sectio...apology-akdphi

To our fellow students at the University of Michigan, the University of Michigan Chapter of alpha Kappa Delta Phi would like to sincerely apologize for the events that took place last Saturday as a result of our actions. Last week, a group of our members had planned a bonding event that involved team-building activities, including one that involved popping balloons that set off the false shooter alert. We are truly sorry to everyone who feared for their lives and had to experience the traumatic events of that day, especially to our fellow Muslim students and all those who were present at the New Zealand Mosques Solidarity Vigil. It is unacceptable to merely pass off our actions as a poorly timed coincidence. To do so would be to ignore the politically-charged atmosphere that day and the many serious events on campus that preceded the false alarm. Failure to acknowledge these circumstances would only further enable us to benefit from the privilege that comes with a lack of understanding about the real dangers and fears that many of our fellow peers, students of color and Muslim students live with on a day to day basis.

We also want to acknowledge our silence and delay in responding to the events of last week. As part of a large and diverse community of color, we understand that everyone perceives and processes traumatic events in different ways and at different speeds. We have used this past week to not only process our feelings of guilt and disbelief, but to also reflect on our mistakes and take responsibility for our actions by reaching out to members of our immediate communities. We take this event as a stark realization that we need to further educate ourselves about Islamophobia, white supremacy and what it means to use our position as A/PIA students to participate in more meaningful coalition building on campus. Moving forward, we are committed to standing together in solidarity with our fellow Muslim students and marginalized communities on campus by holding necessary conversations and taking the right steps towards being more cognizant of our actions. While our words cannot undo the trauma that was experienced that day, we will use Saturday’s events as a way to further educate ourselves more about social justice and to empower and uplift our fellow Muslim community and communities of color.

Respectfully,

The University of Michigan Chapter of alpha Kappa Delta Phi
Old 04-01-2019, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

I wonder whether UM has Orgsync or something similar and whether this event was scheduled on Orgsync. If so, I'd cast some blame on the University for not picking up how this might be problematic. It's not reasonable to expect college students or even their advisers to connect popping balloons with triggering folks over mosque shootings.

It's a shame that we have an expectation for some bullshit apology tour. Popping balloons =/= Islamophobia. They never should have felt compelled to apologize.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma

Last edited by Kevin; 04-01-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I wonder whether UM has Orgsync or something similar and whether this event was scheduled on Orgsync. If so, I'd cast some blame on the University for not picking up how this might be problematic. It's not reasonable to expect college students or even their advisers to connect popping balloons with triggering folks over mosque shootings.

It's a shame that we have an expectation for some bullshit apology tour. Popping balloons =/= Islamophobia. They never should have felt compelled to apologize.

Even if they did use a scheduling program, at a huge school like Michigan, there are probably all kinds of different events going on at all hours of the day and evening. I would imagine that as long as there are not room conflicts, there wouldn't be time to go through every event and make sure that the noise level (and types of noises) will be compatible with other events going on in the general vicinity. I'm sure the sorority event would been listed as "sorority meeting" or something fairly generic, not "Balloon popping time."

But, yes, I agree that it is unfortunate that an event timing issue is being equated to Islamophobia.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

I would hate it if I heard that anyone is trying to make the sorority think they're bigots because of this.