GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,152
3 members and 1,149 guests
Cookiez17, John

Old 07-20-2004, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Question "Keep in touch!" What does this mean?

So, about 3 months ago, I had an interview (arranged through sisterly connections) with the top firm in my field. They couldn't find enough work to justify keeping me there for 40 hours a week for the entire summer, but the HR lady told me to "keep in touch," that she "saw a future for [Munchkin03] in the firm."

How does one "keep in touch" in this fashion? Do I send her updates about what I'm doing? Do I send my resume? What exactly does "keeping in touch" mean? I am still excited that I got an interview with them (I was the only one in my class to) but I am very about how to keep in touch.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-20-2004, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich
Not sure but calling mid to late summer to see if there's anything available for you comes to mind. I say this becuase they were unable to keep you for the summer, maybe something has opened up. Just an idea Good luck!
Old 07-20-2004, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I think that you should send a follow up thank you note for the interview. Give them a brief outline of what you have been doing during the past three months and your immediate plans, i.e. school in the fall. By brief, I mean a few sentences to a paragraph. They should have your resume and cover letter on file so they can refer to that if necessary. I hope that this helps. Good luck!
Old 07-22-2004, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to kateshort Send a message via AIM to kateshort Send a message via Yahoo to kateshort
Definitely send a letter. It's nice to see additional correspondence in the file.

Start with what Peaches-n-Cream said, but make sure you mention that you are still interested in the company, and that you hope that you will still be able to assist them in meeting their goals.

There are a number of letter-writing books out there; check your local library for books on the interviewing/job-hunting/letter-writing process, and look for examples of post-interview follow-up letters if you're having trouble getting started.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

In addition to these things, you can occasionally call to ask for advice on something that you are doing related to the field, find out about their special challenges/what's going on at that company.. Set up a informal mentorship type relationship. Ask if you can take the HR person to lunch. Get their tips on experiences you should get, classes you should take etc. If you can, provide something of value to him/her: a good article, relevant research, etc.

That way, you will not only be the "got anything yet" girl, but someone they can have a conversation with. That way, if a job comes us they will say "what about Munchkin? I just spoke to her a few weeks ago and....."

Don't make it too often though. Every 8 - 10 weeks is more than enough in my opinion, unless you find that you have a true repore (sp?)

Last edited by Eclipse; 07-22-2004 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-25-2004, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks folks! I will send a card as a follow-up sometime this week. I thought about following up now, and then sometime around the beginning of the spring semester.

I have a lot of contacts at the firm, and they have been acting as mentors for me.